Gransnet forums

AIBU

shopping trollies

(36 Posts)
aggie Tue 13-Dec-16 15:39:23

At the supermarkets here , some of them have trollies which need a £1 coin to release , it is claimed back when you return the trolley . I am not too good at the walking and rather than staggering over to the trolley park place I offered my £1 to a shopper who had just put her stuff in her car . I shopped , returned the trolley and what did I get ! A metal Token , not a £1 coin , seriously miffed I am . Am I unreasonable to be miffed ?

MawBroon Tue 07-Feb-17 20:35:26

Trolleys are free at our Waitrose, also at Sainsbury's. It's a long time since I have had to find a £1 coin.

Cunco Wed 08-Feb-17 08:04:26

Sadly, Aggie, I think this is a self-inflicted miff but look on the bright side, it only cost you a pound and you do have the token.

Speaking of Waitrose, though, my recent beef was the change in local parking procedure whereby I now have to 'validate' my stay in the car park at a new bank of machines. This involves typing in my registration number and flashing a voucher from the shop under a beam to tell me if I need to pay. It seems my local Waitrose doesn't operate its own car park so it's not down to them. I have got the hang of it now but it's yet another performance when I just want to get the groceries and go. sad

mumofmadboys Wed 08-Feb-17 08:39:44

Perhaps the shopper momentarily forgot they had used a token rather than a £1?

grannypiper Wed 08-Feb-17 08:59:25

cunco the token wont be much use by next month when the new £1 coin comes out

norose4 Wed 08-Feb-17 09:17:05

Don't blame you being a little bit miffed, but as said you do have the token so that's something. Speaking of trolleys I get really cross in supermarkets where there are trolleys without coin slots, people just leave them all over the place ,even spilling out into the driving area, I straighten them up, perhaps I have missed my vocation in life ?

Bebe47 Thu 09-Feb-17 10:50:17

You still have to buy these tokens so what's the problem . You have a token to use over and over. It cost you a £1. You swopped a £1coin for a £1 token. Much better value - I bought our Cancer Research charity ones ever since they first came out many years ago - they are clipped to our key rings and have never let us down. . We never have to search for £1 coins. Keep your £1 coins for the car parks.

M0nica Thu 09-Feb-17 12:53:32

My token came free from the Information counter at my local supermarket, LeClerc, in France. I can also get a free token from the DIY store.

In England my local supermarket doesn't require a deposit for its trolleys.

sunseeker Thu 09-Feb-17 14:42:42

This happened to me when the woman didn't tell me it was a token but just took my £1. I use the token all the time now and if someone suggests giving me their £1 and taking my trolley I always tell them it is a token - and none of them have chosen to take it!!

Desdemona Thu 09-Feb-17 15:50:57

It's probably not worth getting in a stew about...but the woman should have at least told you it was a token in her trolley, and not £1 (unless she forgot what she had used - I have tokens usually but often forget them so then I use pound coins.)

henetha Fri 10-Feb-17 10:30:57

Hopefully we can buy new shaped tokens when our pound coin changes shape next month. I always keep a token on my key ring, it's so useful.
Most of the supermarkets around here don't charge anyway,
but Lidl does.
I can understand you feeling a "bit" miffed, but it's not important enough to be "seriously" miffed.