Gransnet forums

AIBU

What do you think? Joke I found offensive.

(132 Posts)
bellsisabelle Sat 31-Dec-16 19:43:54

Was at a panto with daughter this afternoon. It was put on by a children's theatre group, ages about five to seventeen.

One of the jokes went like this:

Young boy enters stage, preceded by a smoke "bomb". Says "I'm a fairy". Other character says "Oh. Is that what the poof of smoke was about?". Young boy says "Not that kind of fairy".

I think that's homophobic and a disgraceful example to children.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 31-Dec-16 20:42:24

D'ya know I sit through pantos every year and they have all managed not to be homophobic, or racist, or misogynistic, it's a miracle really.

Gay people are bullied and victimised throughout our society, calling them poofs and fairies is pathetic.

Ana Sat 31-Dec-16 20:42:38

No one was talking about 'gay' being used as an insult until you mentioned it, FarNorth.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 31-Dec-16 20:46:30

Gay men happily use those terms about themselves!

In reply to this comment.

seriously This Is Not Hard, Gay describes someones sexuality. Gay as an insult is wrong, poof and fairy are insults.

<head - desk>

rafichagran Sat 31-Dec-16 20:47:12

It's panto, panto has never been PC, I am sure it has not made the children homophobic, they have probably enjoyed the production and thought no more about it. It's the fact that the daft PC brigade go on about it that gives it more attention than intended. Enjoy the panto and stop looking for things to be offended by.

thatbags Sat 31-Dec-16 20:47:21

I don't think the joke is homophobic; I think it's homoteasing. I'm fine about my sexuality being teased in a silly, jokey, pantomimish, naughty, on the edge, non-aggressive manner.

In short, it's a joke. There's nothing sacred about any kind of sexuality that jokes can't be made about it.

And it's a pantomime joke. The best pantos contain jokes for all ages from young kids to very elderly folk. That's why panto is so great when well done.

I think we need to stop being so precious.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 31-Dec-16 20:48:53

PC brigade, bingo!

Antonia Sat 31-Dec-16 20:49:21

I'm sure the whole panto wasn't homophobic. This was a one-liner. And I'm sure there were other similar lines. That's what panto is!

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 31-Dec-16 20:49:32

Would casual racism be okay then?

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 31-Dec-16 20:50:21

I watch panto every year, none of them use jokes like this anymore, why would they?

Jane10 Sat 31-Dec-16 20:52:03

You need to go to more pantos!

mumofmadboys Sat 31-Dec-16 20:52:17

I agree with OP that fairy and poof are unacceptable especially when children are saying the words.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 31-Dec-16 20:57:57

I've seen 3 this year, 4 last and one at least for the last 30 years. I really don't think I could fit anymore in. grin

Antonia Sat 31-Dec-16 21:09:03

LumpySpacedPrincess, homosexual people are not all bullied and victimised in today's society. They used to be, it used to be a criminal offence, now they can get married and no-one gives a toss anymore. And this was in a panto for goodness sake. If pantos couldn't say anything that could be remotely construed as offensive, they wouldn't be funny.

POGS Sat 31-Dec-16 21:12:48

Good job the panto wasn't accompanied by 4 Poofs And a Piano , the smelling salts would be required.

I went to see the latter with a gay relative , they were amusing.

It's not the 'words' but the 'context' of their use that is insulting and to be honest just believing that gay /lesbian people are offended at the drop of a hat is from my contact with friends and family more insulting as this denotes the person finding offence sees 'them' (not a nice word I know) as having ' a problem ' that requires defending at all times.

I think the usual panto brigade such as Christopher Biggins, Paul O'Grady and Julian Clary would let the OP joke go frankly.

[tinhat]

thatbags Sat 31-Dec-16 21:27:21

Well said, pogs. And I agree with antonia: young people nowadays are extremely straightforward about homosexuality. It just isn't a big deal at all.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 31-Dec-16 21:36:51

I wish that were the case thatbags but it simple isn't true, young gay people are bullied because of their sexuality across the country every day. Why is the term Gay, and not Heterosexual, used as an insult? It isn't as bad as it was but it's still a lot tougher out there if you're gay.

I wonder why there are almost zero gay football players if the world doesn't care?

It still matters and just like everyday sexism and casual racism it all adds up.

So lets stop it, eh? I can get through whole years without being homophobic or racist.

This was a kids show and the terms used are insults that are still thrown around at young homosexuals today.

I am sure the panto would not have suffered if they had left out the casual homophobia.

bellsisabelle Sat 31-Dec-16 21:37:38

No. And it shouldn't be a big deal. So why did an adult need to write this ;'joke' into a script for children to act out?

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 31-Dec-16 21:38:47

Anyway, peace out and happy new year! smile

merlotgran Sat 31-Dec-16 21:51:47

That's a good point. An adult writing a script for children ought to have more sense.

Deedaa Sat 31-Dec-16 21:52:15

I don't think the joke was offensive, but in poor taste and not very funny.

thatbags Sat 31-Dec-16 22:05:26

I didn't read the OP properly. Hadn't realised it was children acting. Soz.

LSP, among the young people I know terms like gay, bi, hetero, etc are not used as insults, only as descriptions (and only then if it seems necessary; nobody cares except for what might be called 'practical' purposes) and it appears to be fine for one's sexuality to be anything. Mind you, it's possible I only know nice young people. In fact, I'm sure I do.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Dec-16 22:06:21

They are old fashioned terms that I thought they had been wiped out along with 'queer' they belong to a generation who did ridicule gays and treat tham badly and they have no place in a child's pantomime Pantomimes should be fun and teasing and ever so slightly risqué but not cruel or deriding

I think that joke is in poor taste and could easily encourage playground bullying as if it's OK and gets laughs at the panto then it's ok to use in the playground

There's loads of slightly naughty jokes that can be in a pantomime script without words like that being used it's so out of date I imagine that 'joke' was put in by an elderly male who lives in the past and probably still uses the 'm' word for downs kids

Rigby46 Sun 01-Jan-17 03:01:38

Completely agree with you OP - as for those of you thinking it's acceptable, haven't you any awareness of the homophobic bullying that goes on in schools today? I wonder very seriously about the 'adult' who wrote the 'joke' - I go to a panto every year and have never heard a 'joke' on these lines.

Rigby46 Sun 01-Jan-17 03:05:01

For example
www.stonewall.org.uk/sites/default/files/teachers_report_2014.pdf

Rigby46 Sun 01-Jan-17 03:07:58

And this
www.nhs.uk/livewell/bullying/pages/homophobicbullying.aspx