Gransnet forums

AIBU

What do you think? Joke I found offensive.

(132 Posts)
bellsisabelle Sat 31-Dec-16 19:43:54

Was at a panto with daughter this afternoon. It was put on by a children's theatre group, ages about five to seventeen.

One of the jokes went like this:

Young boy enters stage, preceded by a smoke "bomb". Says "I'm a fairy". Other character says "Oh. Is that what the poof of smoke was about?". Young boy says "Not that kind of fairy".

I think that's homophobic and a disgraceful example to children.

trisher Tue 03-Jan-17 11:29:20

But part of bring up strong resilient children is surely teaching them that there are some people in society who need more care and protection and part of that is not accepting terms of abuse even as a joke, because even though personally you may not be offended, there may be others who will suffer.
grannypiper your nephew and his friends have grown up in a more understanding society, if you were to ask older men about the same words I suspect the answer might be different.

rafichagran Tue 03-Jan-17 11:31:36

The children have probably forgotten about the words some of you find so offensive in a pantomime. It's the adults that are drawing attention to it.

Jane10 Tue 03-Jan-17 11:38:06

Absolutely rafichagran!

Jayanna9040 Tue 03-Jan-17 14:34:52

Don't you think the idea of gay men flouncing about, being offended at this joke is rather stereotypical? One of the friends I met with on New Years Day said " What offends me is people who have nothing to do with me, telling me what I should be offended by."

bellsisabelle Tue 03-Jan-17 14:36:34

Flip me! Shall we leave off now?! confused Even I've forgotten about it.

thatbags Tue 03-Jan-17 20:13:14

jane10, jayanna, raficha, exactly.

bellsisabelle, ?