Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit is it final??

(145 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 26-Feb-17 15:16:13

Like almost 16,000,000 I voted Remain and do respect the result of the referendum. However the whole exercise was so flawed and the long term effects as yet unknown that I feel Parliament and may be the people should have another chance when the final terms are known. Tony Blair (whom I can never forgive for Iraq) spoke many truths about Brexit particularly one at all costs. The situation in Europe is changing and we may be better off out of it but only time will tell and when it does Parliament should be free to vote and perhaps call the whole thing off.

rafichagran Mon 27-Feb-17 13:25:48

I voted remain so did millions of others, unfortunately more voted for Brexit, I am willing to accept this and move on, it's called democracy. Why all this 'should we have another vote'.

Anya Mon 27-Feb-17 13:34:51

What a ridiculous idea OP.

Craicon Mon 27-Feb-17 13:57:21

I'm not planning to sit around and wait for the inevitable so will apply for Irish citizenship asap. I feel sorry for the flag wavers stuck living in the past who can't see beyond pointless nationalistic rhetoric.

Craftycat Mon 27-Feb-17 13:58:49

I am not afraid to say I voted OUT. I believe it was the only choice to make if we want to rule our own country for our own good.

I doubt very much that there will be an EU in 10 years time as other countries will probably opt out soon too. We need to negotiate a hard way out to show them that they too can do it & make their own decisions on how their country is run.

For the record immigration was not the reason I voted out either. I just want to see the Great put back into Britain & see us empowered to do the best thing for our own people- which will include a sensible immigration policy to benefit ourselves & the people who want to come here to work or study.

TriciaF Mon 27-Feb-17 14:16:12

There are many references on google to the fact that the referendum result was advisory, not legally binding.

Bamm Mon 27-Feb-17 14:33:41

I am with you Craftycat. Some REMOANERS can be so patronizing.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 27-Feb-17 14:43:42

I voted out. Why?
I, like many of my own age and no doubt much younger were not unhappy with our lives pre common market/ EU.
We had our name on the council housing list but investigated what were our chance of a mortgage to buy our own property.
Unbelievable and certainly not what would have happened 21C Deciding to buy our own the choice of new builds that were appearing up everywhere made us spoilt for choice at the same time we heard from our council of a 3 bed house available. Many of our friends were doing the same

What I observe and now question is ,'what has been the benefit to our young people of being in the EU'.
How many of these young people actually voted to remain.

Doctors strike 21C. NHS is the Uk's Titanic.More homeless on our streets.Food banks? Last time the UK gave out food in the quantities we are now hearing of was during WW11.
Answers appreciated.

angelab Mon 27-Feb-17 14:50:34

Yorkshiregel, I feel this is rather an over-comprehensive dismissal of the EU. There is ancient woodland in South London which would have been cut down by now to make way for housing if it weren't for EU law.

Beammeupscottie Mon 27-Feb-17 15:04:13

I voted remain but have now moved on to contemplating what will happen, politically, in Europe this year. Germany, Holland and France go to the polls and if the move to the right is as predicated we shall see further threats upon the EU.
I think the UK should be part of a group. I would like to see a Northern Alliance with Germany and Scandinavia. If anyone thinks the UK will gain independence from this divorce is deluded, We will be "bought up" by richer Countries and what price Sovereignty then?

radicalnan Mon 27-Feb-17 15:40:12

I am not a racist, I am a numerist. I know what taking care of people requires.

On a Sunday, if I have a couple of guests here for lunch, that is lovely. Last Christmas I had 15, mixed nationalities, that we great fun for 3 days. If 100 people turn up one holiday weekend, that will be very stressful. If unlimited amounts if people with different levels of needs turn up, forver, I shall have to sell up and move.

The Dali Llama. bless him said 'not everyone can come'. The EU free travel means that people can come, and we have to pay them benefits (even working ones) for family dependents in their home countries, who may then, be much better off than our own children due to the disproportionate exchange rates.

This cannot be supported forever. How will we look our children in the face and say we gave the local equivilent of a weekly wage to a child abroad and expected you to have less to pay for that. We are not wealthy as a country, we are heavily indebted as it is.

The EU had opportunities to change to address this and rejected them and in doing so rejected us. Leaving is the only option under those circumastances. Article 50 does not need to be invoked to leave (said the man who wrote it) one of the original treaties said that no state can be punished for leaving.......let's hang on until we are like Greece shall we ???

My friend's mother in greece puts cat food out for the strays, humans are eating it now.

Cosafina Mon 27-Feb-17 15:43:50

I'm sick of hearing it's "the will of the people" cos it sure as hell isn't the will of this person. I think I read somewhere that as a percentage of the country it's about 27% - and I don't see how all the upheaval should be allowed because little more than a quarter of the population voted on zero information.
I can't stand Tony Bliar, but I do think he's got a point that the country should be allowed to vote for or against the deal that is eventually struck. And this time allow some of the younger voters who will be most affected by the result - by all accounts it's majority older people who wanted out, but they'll be dead and gone when the fallout really hits the fan.

Rosina Mon 27-Feb-17 15:46:10

The economy of France is in tatters, Spain has 25% unemployment, 50% among young people, and shall we have a think about the economy of Greece? Who really wants to remain as part of this shambolic community with unelected faceless beaurocrats deciding what goes in in this country?

I also understand that 'the books' for want of a better term have not been agreed and signed off for years... do I want to stay I the EEC? I can't see a single reason why I would want to.

Riverwalk Mon 27-Feb-17 16:12:43

The economy of France is in tatters confused

Er, would you care to elaborate on that statement Rosina?

Are not the UK and French economy more or less on a par?

Samie Mon 27-Feb-17 16:59:25

If the closeness of the result of the brexit vote had been the same in a general election, there would probably be another election in a short time - so why not have another brexit vote

Yorkshiregel Mon 27-Feb-17 17:00:05

angelab, if it were not for the EU immigration policy we would not need all of these houses! There are a lot of brand new houses sitting here empty because we have to fulfil a quota demanded by the EU. They cannot sell them and some of the builders have downed tools. Not sure if that is happening elsewhere is it?

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 17:04:38

I find it amazing what the EU gets blamed for.

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 17:06:40

Rosina, the books have been agreed. One of the reasons they haven't been signed off is because UKIP have been doing some dodgy accounting of their own and are being investigated as we speak.

Yorkshiregel Mon 27-Feb-17 17:13:08

I am not a racist either, but it has got so bad in UK that you dare not speak out anymore. It is just common sense, not racist to say that if you invite the whole town to come to your house to live you will not have enough room, not enough food, not enough water, and the town will not have enough sewage plants, schools, doctors or dentists. The hospitals will be over-flowing and we will see the end of the NHS. Crazy to cover what used to be fields for growing crops with houses! Once the land has been built on and the trees chopped down there will be no going back. As for saying the farmers will not be able to get anyone to do menial jobs, there are plenty of people living on state benefits who are unemployed. Use them before you advertise abroad for labour (These jobs are not advertised in this country are they?). When we were in Guernsey we got talking to a waitress who was from Eastern Europe. She said they came to Guernsey to be trained up before the gang master took them to UK to work! Why can't our own be trained up?

I do not have anything against Europeans. I love going to Europe because of the differences in our countries and the diversity of people. Unfortunately because of open borders all and sundry from anywhere in the world can come here at the moment not just Europeans.

Riverwalk Mon 27-Feb-17 17:17:55

There are a lot of brand new houses sitting here empty because we have to fulfil a quota demanded by the EU

Yorkshiregirl I'm truly at a loss with this statement - where are these houses and under what EU quota?

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 17:23:16

So you like going there, but you don't want them coming here. However, that's not racist, is it not?

If all the immigrants go back home as they have been told to do, even the EU ones alone, there are not enough unemployed in this country to take their jobs, and certainly not enough in the right occupations.

You really need to be careful what you wish for.
Over a million jobs needing to be filled.

NfkDumpling Mon 27-Feb-17 17:40:19

Is that official DJ? That all the immigrants have been told to go back home?

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 17:55:23

hmm

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 17:55:52

Hardly!

Ana Mon 27-Feb-17 17:59:30

It must be true - durhamjen says so...hmm

Kim19 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:28:30

On reflection of some of the thoughts expressed here, I can see no good reason why those who have a mind to, should not start up a group for re-entry into the EU in 20 years time. By then we will have had a taste of what being 'outside' is like (assuming the EU still exists, of course) and will have a ready foot on the ladder for re-entry attempts. Why not........?