Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit is it final??

(145 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 26-Feb-17 15:16:13

Like almost 16,000,000 I voted Remain and do respect the result of the referendum. However the whole exercise was so flawed and the long term effects as yet unknown that I feel Parliament and may be the people should have another chance when the final terms are known. Tony Blair (whom I can never forgive for Iraq) spoke many truths about Brexit particularly one at all costs. The situation in Europe is changing and we may be better off out of it but only time will tell and when it does Parliament should be free to vote and perhaps call the whole thing off.

railman Mon 27-Feb-17 11:05:26

Don't you just love "the will of the people" phrase.

Should I take it that this particular phrase means the "will of the people in England alone" ??

whitewave Mon 27-Feb-17 11:15:15

No the will of the people is what we want it to mean.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 27-Feb-17 11:15:31

I voted out. Why? I, like many, were not unhappy with our lives before we entered the common market then to be the EU. Gradually and things do not happen overnight flaws began appearing.Were we still Brits ? No. We were Europeans. I do not like being told my status.If I marry I can choose whether I take my husbands name or not.If I need a passport to enter other European countries so be it.At least other countries in Europe would know who I was like we in UK would know who was coming in.Thankfully we were not forced into the euro.We are vastly becoming overpopulated our NHS is becoming our Titanic.I do not want the country of my birth which we fought for in 39-45 to be a number. Like other countries in the eu that is precisely what we are Just a number. My list is endless.

railman Mon 27-Feb-17 11:24:02

Interesting post sarahellenwhitney - but do you not think that the overpopulation argument is just a cover for the lack of investment in NHS and other key national infrastructures, and the massive cuts in public services we have now endured since 2010?

I would expect governments to extrapolate population data for at least a 5-year business plan, to determine what was needed to be spent on key assets as population and demographics changed in different parts of the country.

That is at least what a business would do as it grew.

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 11:24:07

Sorry, Cindersdad, you are having a rerun of the Brexit threads, rather than a response to your OP.

www.campaign2018.org

railman Mon 27-Feb-17 11:25:49

Ok whitewave - if I take it to mean the will of the people of England.

So Scotland and Northern Ireland should now be free to exercise their will perhaps.

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 11:27:18

From Gina Miller's campaign to get parliament to have a meaningful vote on article 50.

"The government has promised to deliver “a good deal for Britain” in negotiating Brexit. This outcome is by no means guaranteed.

Although a vote has now been promised to Parliament on the emerging settlement of the negotiations, the government is only offering a choice between a deal that may prove unsatisfactory as a means of safeguarding our country's future, or withdrawal from the EU with no agreed relationship at all. A patriotic approach to the Brexit process would surely keep all options open in the national interest.

We believe Parliament should amend the Article 50 notification Bill to ensure that it can determine what should be done if negotiations break down. Parliament's vote on any emerging settlement must also permit, if the terms are not in the national interest, amendment or extension of the negotiations, and to allow the country the option of an alternative relationship with the EU, including the possibility of membership.

It is time for a practical approach to the Brexit process, which puts our country and its people first."

railman Mon 27-Feb-17 11:35:07

Well said durhamjen - I wonder why our beloved Government are scared of trying to get the best deal for the UK.

Seems to me at the moment that the anything will do brigade, since we're leaving the EU doesn't have a plan for afterwards.

I'me sure the front page item in today's Daily Telegraph is bordering on the questionably legal.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/26/theresa-may-poised-announce-end-free-movement-new-eu-migrants/

angelab Mon 27-Feb-17 11:37:43

I haven't read all of this thread but have always been puzzled at this horror at the idea of another referendum. The Leavers won last time, so they will win next time, unless people have changed their mind (in the light of more information?); in which case it will still be democratic but Remain this time..

whitewave Mon 27-Feb-17 11:38:20

rail only if that is the interpretation of Mays government. They have decided what they mean by the will of the poeple and it isn't necessarily what it should mean in an open democracy.

railman Mon 27-Feb-17 11:39:34

Given that we live in a democracy - should we now not start a movement to join the EU, and even if it takes 20 years, we will be able to join eventually.

This was the approach that Farage and his team worked on for years to levee the EU.

Now is the time to start the movement to rejoin - maybe even invent a new political party for just that purpose. Any takers out there?

railman Mon 27-Feb-17 11:43:46

whitewave, so if this it isn't necessarily what it should mean in an open democracy is true, then are we in danger of suggesting May's position does not reflect a democratic will of all the people.

The results of the referendum last year seem to suggest a very lose 'union', and more of a federal arrangement in the UK.

However, I expect, after March, a new referendum on independence will take place in Scotland - how will the sovereignty position fare then I wonder.

Yorkshiregel Mon 27-Feb-17 11:57:05

Cindersdad, I voted OUT and I have no regrets! All the lies and fake news that was in the papers and on the media were to blame for people voting with me. Maybe if they had told the truth there would have been a different result.

It has always been the aim of those who pushed for the EU that finally a new country would be formed called 'United States of Europe'. Even our own PM Churchill thought it might be a good idea. What I could not stand was all the denials because there is no doubt that is what they were aiming for, and our Governments past and present, knew what the aim was. So we were lied to over and over again. The EU even tried to take credit for peace in Europe, which imo was down to NATO and the United Nations, not the EU.

All the doom and gloom forecasts have not come true, in fact quite the opposite has happened. Yes, there may be some tweaks that need to be made, but on the whole the future for the UK looks bright. Lots of positive things happening these days, people investing money in Great Britain and moving jobs here.

I think it is time to support the PM and stop talking this country down. Mr Junker, Mr Hollande and Mrs Merkel have all now shown their true colours and revealed what the EU is aiming for. They wanted to be one big blob of 'sameness' answering to and being ruled by,the 'elite' in Brussels.

whitewave Mon 27-Feb-17 11:59:41

rail if May continues towards to try to override Parliament in the Brexit negotiations when they begin then the answer to your question is "yes"

NfkDumpling Mon 27-Feb-17 12:07:45

Railman - yes, I think we should have a movement to rejoin the EU. In twenty years time. The present Union is flawed in so many ways and it needs a shock such as its now getting to regenerate and renew itself. Ideally, it should be dissolved and started again.

Yorkshiregel Mon 27-Feb-17 12:13:13

railman so because the Scottish people voted to stay within the UK Mrs Sturgeon wants another Referendum (and probably another, and another until the people 'get the right answer'! Would anyone stand for that say if it was a local election, or a football match result, or a vote on anything come to that?

Mrs Sturgeon thinks she is 'Queen of Scotland' which of course she isn't. Some might think she is putting her country first, but she isn't. She is doing this for personal benefit imo. She knows that if Scotland breaks away from the UK they will get no financial support from the rest of the UK. None of the EU leaders will discuss Scotland joining the EU, they will only speak to the PM of the UK. Scotland on its own will find itself with no support from the EU or the UK. How then will they manage their finances?

The Referendum to leave the EU result is FINAL! People had their chance to vote, if they didn't and preferred to go to Glastonbury, or stay at home in protest, then they have only got themselves to blame for the result.

I am happy with the result and eventually once we have broken away from the EU the money we sent over there, be it in daily contributions, overseas aid, demands and fines, can be spent here in UK, on our own people and any EU immigrants that chose to come with us and leave the EU.

We have our own 'Brightest and Best' and we do not need to poach other countries' youngsters, which I personally think is totally the wrong thing to do. How are these countries going to improve if we steal their best people?

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 12:15:28

Good post Yorkshiregirl agree all the way.smile

Evenstar Mon 27-Feb-17 12:18:42

Turning it on its head. Had we voted to remain and the leavers wanted another referendum, would we even be having this conversation? I think not.
Whatever had been decided there would be people who wernt happy.
We have decided to leave so must concentrate on the future now, not what might have been.

Yorkshiregel Mon 27-Feb-17 12:21:53

Do you really think Tony Blair puts this country first? He doesn't. He didn't over the Iraq War and he isn't this time either. He is a proven liar, why would anyone believe a word he says? He is yesterday's man and he was Bush' puppet. He lines his own pockets and he has made himself a millionaire giving talks about Iraq. Horrible, deceitful man that he is. Hundreds of our young men died because of what Tony Blair did.

Kim19 Mon 27-Feb-17 12:23:15

Yorkshiregel, I am friendly with quite a few Scots who were diehard independents and yet have recently changed their thinking on same as a direct result of Ms Sturgeon's current obsession with Brexit. Don't let anyone assume the next result should we have a second referendum before the afore promised decade.

missdeke Mon 27-Feb-17 12:40:20

Cindersdad I feel your statements are a touch biased towards your views on Brexit, you don't qualify anything you say with facts: "However the whole exercise was so flawed" and "Brexit was voted for by a small majority but many people were misled" etc, etc. Does this only relate to those who voted opposing your views? Or were the remainers misled too. I do find that so may remainers have sour grapes and believe that the leavers were misinformed but they weren't, surely this is a blinkered view. Maybe it was flawed, but isn't that the case for most politics these days, how many politicians really do the job with real thought for both sides of any argument. As the old meme goes, 'The last person to enter parliament with honest intention was Guy Fawkes'

Yorkshiregel Mon 27-Feb-17 12:41:37

I cannot speak for others, but personally I would have respected the EU result if it had gone the other way, just as the OP has.

I think that if there was another Referendum in Scotland and it turned Scotland in to an independent country, the people would become poor in no time at all. I think they should stick with the UK. I believe Mrs Sturgeon and Mr Salmond are not doing their country any favours.

Lyndie Mon 27-Feb-17 12:43:19

I think most of us made a decision on the EU about how it's worked for us over the last 40 years not just the campaign. It obviously worked for some but not for others.

Yorkshiregel Mon 27-Feb-17 12:52:00

www.thecommentator.com/article/5728/juncker_s_programme_to_demolish_britain

www.vernoncoleman.com/euillegally.html

www.breitbart.com/london/2016/04/20/german-and-dutch-military-forces-merge-bringing-eu-army-a-step-closer/

Three eye opener links on what the EU

Yorkshiregel Mon 27-Feb-17 12:57:14

Lyndie I certainly did, but also I did a LOT of research on what the aims of the EU were. I think they were hell bent on wiping the UK off the map. Taking the best of what we have first of course.

I voted with my eyes wide open and for some to say we didn't know what we voted for when we voted 'out' is insulting I think. I knew exactly what I voted for.

Can anyone give one country where the EU has been successful? Look what they have done to Greece and Italy if you want an example.