Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be excited about new Aldi opening?

(115 Posts)
chelseababy Sun 19-Mar-17 08:36:04

After much delay (don't know why) we have a new Aldi opening on Thursday. I've been rather obsessed with it because of the delays, checking with Aldi website,ringing their head office etc to find out when it's opening! It will probably be an anti climax. What are your favourite Aldi buys?

KatyK Sun 19-Mar-17 12:38:30

My sister admired a colleague's dress the other day and the lady said 'oh thank you. It was £5.99 from Lidl'. smile

BlueBelle Sun 19-Mar-17 12:45:24

Oh Christine neither of ours are depressing they are modern, clean, well set out big windows lovely fixtures, just so far from depressing perhaps yours are different

KatyK Sun 19-Mar-17 12:50:16

Ours isn't depressing. I love it. They have such an array of plants for borders and so cheap. When it comes to planting time, I always go to Aldi first.

ninathenana Sun 19-Mar-17 12:56:08

We have bought everything from a petrol lawn mower to dishwasher salt from Aldi, though I don't do my main shop there.
H peruses the household stuff while I do the "proper" shopping. I can't think of anything we've bought there that has been a disapointment. I too would recommend the items others have mentioned.
We see more and more high end cars in the car park too.

KatyK Sun 19-Mar-17 13:29:05

I love the story someone told about a lady shopping in Aldi when her phone rang. She answered and said 'Oh hello. I'm just in Waitrose' grin

Christinefrance Sun 19-Mar-17 13:32:07

Maybe the British shops are better than the French ones then. Also find that advertised deals are rarely available in local stores. I am aware that their policy states that offers are not available in all stores but once in a while you would think it would happen.

tanith Sun 19-Mar-17 13:37:59

Charleygirl they are actually opening a Lidl as well down near Bensons for Beds, a bit crazy if you ask me much too close to all the others.

TriciaF Sun 19-Mar-17 14:13:18

Christine - I agree to some extent about the 2 stores being a bit depressing. They remind me a bit of Goodfellows in the '70s, when supermarkets were first starting. Stuff still in boxes etc.
Our Aldi is huge, and there's usually only one member of staff on duty.

merlotgran Sun 19-Mar-17 14:18:26

KatyK, Our Aldi is full of middle-class mums who have children at the two very pricey private schools nearby. The eastern European migrant workers are all up in Waitrose. grin

BlueBelle Sun 19-Mar-17 14:38:10

It must depend on the area Tricia as ours are both (Aldi and Lldl ) very modern and actually nicer than the other supermarkets and everything is in glass cabinets certainly not in boxes the bakeries are spot on all in beautiful bread basket type containers ....Next time I go I ll take a picture
Katek ours are used by all sorts of people but I know some well off folks who use them and the cars in the car parks do not denote poor folks

Jalima Sun 19-Mar-17 14:38:25

A Lidl near to us has been refurbished and seems to have gone upmarket - I wonder if the prices will go upmarket too?

I like it, but we also got some good bargains in Waitrose!
And I will not buy milk from Lidl and Aldi because I like to know that the farmers are getting a fair deal.

BlueBelle Sun 19-Mar-17 14:40:17

Sorry I can't edit but one staff member wpould have a problem here they are always full usually at least 5,or 6 tills open oh yes the new improved Lldl also had a self service area

KatyK Sun 19-Mar-17 14:53:35

That's funny merlot !

shysal Sun 19-Mar-17 15:02:40

How odd that there seem to be a lot of Aldi stores near Lidl ones. A new Aldi has just opened near me, but it is half the size of the newly refurbished Lidl just around the corner. I went in for a look in the first week, saw lots of people browsing but only one going through a till, on a Friday mid-morning!
jalima, only this morning a friend was telling me that our re-vamped Lidl was charging more for some items like fish.

Charleygirl Sun 19-Mar-17 15:08:29

The one thing which irritates me with one of the two Aldis is that there are only one or two at the service till and frequently we are going from queue to queue as a till closes for some odd reason.

One store has a packing area directly behind the tills which I think is a good idea as I can pack in my own time and not feel that I a throwing items into carrier bags so that I am not holding up the queue.

Again to save time one cannot withdraw money from the till when paying- an ATM has been fitted indoors to alleviate that problem.

I really do not care if I am seen in Waitrose or Aldi as I am there to save money, mine.

BlueBelle Sun 19-Mar-17 15:09:24

Must be an area thing ours are always both really full of shoppers and it's not because we haven't others we have two Morrisons two Tescos, Asda two Icelands a number of Co ops plus M and S and all the cheap shops that sell food stuff

Charleygirl Sun 19-Mar-17 15:21:44

I do not know how some of the small independent shops make a living when they are surrounded by the big stores which are opening later and later nowadays. A Tesco Extra close to me is open until 11pm most evenings.

As Tanith said, there is a Lidl being built but a large Sainsburys not far away and within a stone's throw is an Aldi and B&M with an Asda next door opening within weeks. There is not a Co-op around for about 5 miles but the remainder of big stores are within 2 miles. I am not sure if these stores are too accessible without a car. Aldi will be made if they start a home delivery service.

TriciaF Sun 19-Mar-17 16:55:29

The Irish view of the Lidl-Aldi phenomenon:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7jyXCQ2Zc

harrigran Sun 19-Mar-17 20:11:35

I have an Aldi half a mile from me, it is clean bright and cheerful and the aisles are nice and wide. I buy aged fillet steak and lamb steaks. The Aberdeen Angus burgers are exceptional and pork and chicken very good quality.
I used to buy some ready meals in M&S but find the ones in Aldi superior as they do not use as much pepper and herbs in things like cottage pies.
We buy free range eggs for less than 90pence, previously paid £2.10 for same in Morrisons.

Chewbacca Sun 19-Mar-17 20:18:22

My shop in Aldi today included fresh vegetables, meats, frozen food and general household food and cleaning stuffs. And an ionic hairdryer that I didn't know I needed! I got change out of £50.

Jalima Sun 19-Mar-17 23:14:08

Some of the Co-ops got taken over by Budgens not that long ago and they are closing them down again.

Esspee Tue 21-Mar-17 08:34:46

I have had to return a couple of items to Aldi and have to say they could not have been more helpful. Made me feel valued as a customer. For groceries I prefer Lidl and am addicted to their Hi GI bread just out of the oven. Mmmmmm yummy!

ChrisCross Tue 21-Mar-17 10:30:29

Rheinbacher German lager at 99p for 500ml. Excellent value and my OH loves it. And the Choceur hazelnut heaven chocolate bar. Loads of nuts! The problem being I have to drive 8 miles to the nearest Aldi but it's worth it.

radicalnan Tue 21-Mar-17 10:40:52

We are getting ALDI in Glastonbury this week, which will be fab.

Currently we have Tesco (small) and Morrisons (dead staff) so am hoping it will be an improvement, where else will I be able to buy a crash helmet and cement mixer when I only wanted dog food????

GrandmasueUK Tue 21-Mar-17 10:44:27

I love shopping in Aldi. The children and baby items are incredibly good value. These were on sale last year.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/aldi-wooden-kitchen-special-buys-12059840

I have bought a wonderful inexpensive travel cot and wooden high chair for DDGS when he stays. They also do online shopping now and the Lacura Caviar face creams have won awards. The wine is exceptional too. At the moment I have a vase full of roses that are nine days old and are in full bloom and which cost £3.00. The flowers from there seem to last longer than from anywhere else.

I'm always surprised on getting to the checkout with a full trolley and finding that it costs so much less than a big supermarket shop! I'm a total Aldi convert. grin