Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be excited about new Aldi opening?

(115 Posts)
chelseababy Sun 19-Mar-17 08:36:04

After much delay (don't know why) we have a new Aldi opening on Thursday. I've been rather obsessed with it because of the delays, checking with Aldi website,ringing their head office etc to find out when it's opening! It will probably be an anti climax. What are your favourite Aldi buys?

Jaycee5 Tue 21-Mar-17 11:02:37

We have two Lidls near me but it is a bit of a trek to an Aldi. I won an Aldi hamper and they were brilliant. They sent an apology for the delay (there hadn't been any) and then sent two as a further apology for the delay that wasn't.
There were piles of moisturiser which I would definitely buy and just loads of stuff, all good quality. I gave some away and I still have unused tubes of moisturiser, deodorant and other stuff a couple of years later. I would definitely be pleased if one opened nearby.

Muchtygirl1 Tue 21-Mar-17 11:34:18

We had an Aldi opened in November followed by a brand new Lidl a fortnight ago. DH and I were beyond excited. We love the bargains we can get at both.

cc Tue 21-Mar-17 11:52:18

We don't have an Aldi yet, but do really love Lidl: wonderful fruit and veg, "aged" beef for roasting as good as the more expensive stores and meat in general is good and inexpensive, variety of hams, tortillas, instant coffee and breakfast cereals. Their jams are particularly good. Of course you can't get everything and branded goods are at least as expensive as the other supermarkets.

My husband loves the centre aisles too, we've had some real bargains such as fancy weighing scales (for people, not baking) for <£15 and virtually identical to John Lewis for >£50.

You do have to chose the time of your visit with care, but as we are retired we can go midweek. We went past a Lidl in Sevenoaks the other day and saw that the car park was full of new BMW's, Mercedes and four wheel drives...

sweetcakes Tue 21-Mar-17 11:57:42

Did you know that Aldi and Lidl are owned by brothers that fell out years ago (apparently).

jollyg Tue 21-Mar-17 12:23:18

Sounds the same as Adidas and Nike, both owner by brothers and existed in the same town, Hertzo.

Must be something in the water in Germany, both shops have certainly ruffled feathers here !

kathyd Tue 21-Mar-17 12:35:30

Aldi and Lidl respectively are owned by brothers and the story goes that they started off in business together but decided to split up in order to run things their own way and not have to consult the other.

kathyd Tue 21-Mar-17 12:42:05

Just seen that I x-posted with two others.

Legs55 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:46:56

Only have a small LIDL in my nearest town, only been in once as parking is horrific. There is also ASDA in the Town Centre, pay for parking but get refund if you spend £10 in store, great for shopping in Town. Sainsbury & Tesco are slightly more out of Town, Tesco is a large store with a huge car park. There are planes for an ALDI but so far nothing apart from Planning Applications.

There is a small Tecso & Co-op in my small Town, another Co-op with garage about a mile from my house & a M & S Food within a BP garage just slightly further away.

Morrisons & Waitrose are about 8 miles away but I do go occasionally. I do however find Tesco Home Delivery better than going into a Store as I can get what I want, better choicegrin

chrissie211 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:50:20

You must live near me Chelseababy as we have a new Aldi opening on Thursday too

Caro1954 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:59:15

Our Aldi is such a guddle I don't go in unless I find out they have something special on offer. Lidl is much better here. BUT my DiL has a fantastic Aldi and saves a fortune and gets good stuff. Definitely worth trying - I wish ours was better. sad

LesleyC Tue 21-Mar-17 13:13:46

Wine, wine and more wine! It's good quality at reasonable prices. As others have said, fruit, veg and meat are good. I buy the washing up liquid, dishwasher tabs and washing detergent capsules, but the latter seemed to cause irritation to my husband's skin. I still use the capsules for towels and sheets though. I also buy continental cheeses at a lower price than the regular supermarkets. I avoid the imitation Lurpak which I thought was awful. The Lacura skincare range is good too. You do find some things that aren't so good by trial and error and I still have to go to a regular supermarket.

chelseababy Tue 21-Mar-17 13:42:07

I'm in Bedford Chrissie but I think someone up thread mentioned another one opening on the same day.

Madsad Tue 21-Mar-17 14:08:18

I too am an Aldi/Lidl convert as my partner is definitely a food snob but he's pretty much converted too!
Stores certainly vary in difficult areas. Here in the big city they are quite depressing and have found staff to be seriously rude at times! Also they're not in walking distance so have to go at busiest times with my partner. Queued 45 mins last Sunday! However, when I visit family in the west Country they have an all singing/ dancing new Lidl which is wonderful, complete with toilets and baby changing facilities.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 21-Mar-17 14:28:35

Aldi or Lidl
No thanks.
Why do they insist placing non food items like adult clothes ,shoes, electrical items, kids clothing, ,garden items, even plant fertilizer, bang smack in aisles between various foods.

busybee6969 Tue 21-Mar-17 14:56:44

love aldi, their fruit/veg and flowers are amazing great value fresh ,my dog loves loves the aldi own make dog food dry and wet.are local store has in fact just moved slightly down the road as it is so popular they had to build a larger one. this opened 3 weeks ago massive, very popular,enjoy and save money i know we do

gretel Tue 21-Mar-17 14:58:38

Aldi have grown from 3.9% to 6.2% of the grocery market in the 3 years from Jan 2014 to Jan 2017 and Lidl from 3.1% to 4.5% but even if shoppers do not visit these two brands they still gain as the other supermarkets have been forced to reduce their prices to compete.

Norah Tue 21-Mar-17 15:00:16

I love Aldi, cheap is lovely.

lefthanded Tue 21-Mar-17 15:06:02

I lived in Germany for a couple of years where both Aldi and Lidl are mainstream food retailers (I still pronounce it LEE-dl in the German style - can't bear the dumbed down LID-l that they use in their advertising here. Buy everything from them EXCEPT tinned soup (where only Baxters will do).

shysal Tue 21-Mar-17 15:07:28

I received the latest Lidl newsletter email the other day. I really think I need this week's offer of a hydraulic car jack for £19.99. Please convince me that I don't need one!!

Vero122 Tue 21-Mar-17 15:17:18

Their nappies are great quality!!

KatyK Tue 21-Mar-17 15:47:44

My DH came home with a packet of Lidl filter coffee recently. I was dubious as I am fussy about tea and coffee. It was lovely and we buy it all the time now. £1.69 for the same size pack that we were buying before of branded coffee.

chelseababy Tue 21-Mar-17 15:50:17

Well after all these suggestions I'm even more excited!

Tessa101 Tue 21-Mar-17 15:55:09

Ive got 2 within 5 miles either side of me. Love having a weekly wander and get some good products for good prices there plants are good value to. Thumbs up from me.

hallgreenmiss Tue 21-Mar-17 16:10:56

Their wines are amazing wine Also good are crisps,meats-cooked and uncooked,frozen foods, bread.

Lilylilo Tue 21-Mar-17 17:12:58

Loved our Aldi although parking was always tricky. However now i am a convert to Lidl -parking much easier,fruit & veg fresher and bread freshly baked on premises.