Gransnet forums

AIBU

Spreading coughs and colds

(59 Posts)
pixie1 Tue 30-May-17 15:27:53

I don't like people or grandkids to greet me with a kiss when they have a cold/flu/cough. I don't make a big issue of it - I just avoid contact.

I have been known to turn around if someone sneezes ahead of me in the supermarket aisle.

Now my daughter has accused me of not loving my grandchildren.

Opinions please.

Brismum Wed 31-May-17 20:57:20

Kisses & cuddles are the order of the day in our family lips cheeks wherever! The 1 year old was miserable & made his kissy mouth & held up his arms. A kiss on the lips & then a cuddle. Precious moments they don't last forever!

stillaliveandkicking Wed 31-May-17 21:31:40

Hopefully everyone cuddles. But if I have a snotty kid in front of me whether it be related or not I certainly wouldn't give a kiss.

Nainai007 Wed 31-May-17 22:45:44

I don't often comment but I feel I need to say something on this topic. We are all different. In particular, as we get older, our states of health are very different and we each need to know our limits - and our children and grandchildren need to know and respect those limits. I have bronchiectasis. A cold caught from a grandchild (I don't even have to kiss them! Just need to be in the same room.) can result in a week in hospital followed by months of getting over the high doses of prednisone given and diminished lung function. So, Petra, 'mean' to avoid contact? Please, can we stop judging each other and just accept our differences!!! We may not understand these differences because we have no experience of them ourselves, but let's give each other credit for knowing what is best for and what works for them.

cornergran Wed 31-May-17 23:29:57

Agree nainai. Sometimes seemingly simple things are far from simple. This isn't something to be judgemental about. Each person and each family have a right to choose how they navigate exposure to germs. The only thing I would say is it's best to explain your stance to avoid hurt feelings.

Aslemma Wed 31-May-17 23:48:16

If I have a cold or cough I invariably tell my grandchidrenm that I'm not goiing to get too close to them, but have never worried about catching something from them. I do think that this obsession about germs is at the root of much of the problems these days, as our bodies no longer know how to fight infection. When my own children were young we didn't get so hung up about it, apart from serious illnesses and things such as impetigo.

Marthajolly1 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:50:35

I'm totally on your wave phoenix.
It's not a perfect world, bugs are part of life. I could never refuse a hug or a kiss.

Monkey63 Sat 03-Jun-17 19:36:56

Oh I do sympathise. Hubby and I started looking after our gorgeous GD Ella last September ( now 18 months old) and we have had four doses of different bugs as she picks up every virus going while at nursery three days a week. Including the one that leaves you with a hacking cough for weeks after. I haven't seen the poor little sausage without a snotty nose for weeks now. Usually it ends up all over me but I don't care coz I adore my little poppet ???

MagicWriter2016 Thu 08-Jun-17 15:12:11

I love hugs and kisses from my grandchildren, but have to admit, snotty, runny noses are a big no no for me. Although, once said nose has been cleaned, kissing will resume lol! I kiss my youngest grandson on whichever part of the body I am presented with, e.g., mouth, cheek, forehead, but find as they get older they prefer the cheek/forehead kisses. Whatever they are comfortable with!