Gransnet forums

AIBU

Problems which are not problems

(167 Posts)
annsixty Sun 11-Jun-17 20:31:38

I realise I will have to leave GN after this post but is any one else who have real , serious problems in their lives so p.....,d off by people posting about things which are so frivolous and insignificant that it is off putting to some of us.
This may be my swan song on GN, so be it.

kittylester Sun 11-Jun-17 22:22:04

serkeen, what Maw said.

Jane, gn is a place for all problems - big and small and for phoenix and frivolity.

Chewbacca Sun 11-Jun-17 22:25:25

phoenix whenever I see your signature post could be wrong, often am" , it always make me smile! Your posts are always laced with humour and with a "sideways glance" at life, I always enjoy seeing you. annsixty, tomorrow's another day. Don't give up on GN, most of us can empathise with how you're feeling and are more than willing to listen to us grumbling at some time or other. flowers to you both.

phoenix Sun 11-Jun-17 22:31:48

Thanks, Chewbacca I realise that I'm not to everyone's taste, but I would hate to upset anyone.

Anya Sun 11-Jun-17 22:34:56

I know what you mean Ann - sometimes when things are really bad, and there's no way out of it and you're only hanging on by your teeth and sheer grit, then you can have moments when everything else feels trivial and frivolous and insignificant.

When going through one of the worst periods of my life I can remember a young check-out lad asking 'how's your day been so far?' and I bloody well nearly told him exactly how it had been.

So I can imagine, knowing a bit about your day-to-day issues how you raised this question.

All I can say is cry, but laugh too. Any other way lies madness or suicide. .

Luckygirl Sun 11-Jun-17 22:39:49

Sorry you feel like that ann - I do understand how things can get to you when life is tough.

I for one hope that you will stick with us, as your posts are always valued by me and many others. flowers

harrigran Sun 11-Jun-17 22:40:07

I understand ann, life is pretty crappy at present, for me too but sometimes exchanging stupid trivial things helps lighten the day.
Don't leave, you will get support on here.

Rigby46 Sun 11-Jun-17 22:46:26

To be fair, I don't think we should criticise posters for not knowing about what is going on in someone's life - some people have been on here for years and know a lot about each other, others not so much. I've picked up a bit about ann and I feel I can understand why she posted as she did. Anyone can post about anything on GN serious or otherwise and we all know this but if we're having a bad time in RL I can understand how it can be irritating to see a trivial or frivolous thread. There are different ways of coping aren't they? I have two very serious things going on in my life at the moment but I don't want to share those on GN so having a good rant on the politics thread is a diversion for me. That's my choice but also reflects my RL situation and the support mechanisms available within it. That's bound to vary between us isn't it. I think it's great that there's such a variety here even though I would not go on some threads at all but I would never be critical of those who did. ann I'm sure you won't leave - there are lots of safe spaces it seems to me on GN and when people want support, I see them just starting a thread snd they get it in droves. which is great

gillybob Sun 11-Jun-17 22:53:55

I'm sorry you feel like that annsixty but we all have our own kinds of problems and all have different abilities to cope with them. There is a different thread running about having no friends and I think sometimes if I had some real friends (you know the kind that listen to you and offer advice etc) then maybe I wouldn't post so much on Gransnet. I am just so grateful that GN is here for me to post/ share/sound off my problems (which admittedly are fairly minor ones when compared to others), or I might go completely bonkers or even more bonkers than I already am smile

Jalima1108 Sun 11-Jun-17 23:10:23

I'm not sure annsixty

Many of us have had serious problems, family, health and otherwise and sometimes a bit of frivolity can make us giggle and think about something else for a minute or two even when we feel despairing about other, major, things going on in our lives.
Some threads where people are agonising over something trivial may seem irritating but some threads which are obviously light-hearted may just be someone trying to smile through their tears.

Perhaps at the moment everything is just too overwhelming for you to see much light at the end of the tunnel and I really hope you get the help you both need.

flowers

Nelliemoser Sun 11-Jun-17 23:29:54

"AnnSixty" (((hugs)))

There are times when one can feel very down but don't really want to want to off load it to all and sundry on here but feel shit and don't want to explain why.

The sort of situation when you really just want a virtual hug.

mumofmadboys Sun 11-Jun-17 23:37:04

What is a trivial problem to one person can be a big one to someone else

BlueBelle Mon 12-Jun-17 07:31:55

I don't really know about your life problems Ann but from others posts on here I m feeling you're in a pretty dark place at the moment and I can well understand when someone is angonising about whether to wear flat heels or high at the forthcoming wedding and how it will break her heart if she gets it wrong ( I've just made that up so if there is a thread about that it wasn't intended for you) must make you see red I didn't read it that Ann was critising fun or laughter or a bit of lightheartedness or even questions about acupuncture or the flower in your garden JUST about mountains out of blooming molehills and I have to say sometimes I feel a groan coming on I think when some people haven't experienced any problems a tiny thing that we (who have) would brush it aside like a sneeze is to them a 'big' thing and can generate frustration

I too had no idea what P6 meant round here we just call it Year 6 as there is no Year 6 in high school so the P is irrelevant but you live and learn each day I know know P6 is not an older cousin of G4

MawBroon Mon 12-Jun-17 08:09:57

Annsixty there are times when the first response which springs to my mind on reading some of the type of facile issues which I suspect you are talking about is a simple three letter acronym.
(FFS)
I may try to resist writing it, or even saying it, but I can think it wink

domingo Mon 12-Jun-17 09:12:08

I like the mix of subjects on here. Sometimes when things are hard in one's own life it's quite nice to read lighter subjects. I have gleaned all sorts of useful things on here over the years. You might categorise many of these things as trivial but they have been useful to me. But I do think it is also very good that people can come here to seek advice and support on things that are difficult and or life changing. Surely the site is simply a reflection of real life? When there is nothing in your life that is totally stressful little things can assume greater proportions but even agonising over small things doesn't mean that the person who posted doesn't have perspective when it comes to bigger things

Iam64 Mon 12-Jun-17 09:23:23

Hello Ann, you posted how you felt yesterday evening. I hope you got some rest overnight and that you won't leave gransnet.
Anaya's response to you rang bells for me. Most of us will have had some tough times. I've had something 'tough' as a backdrop to my life for thirty years now. Getting older brings home the reality that hope is less and acceptance important. The demands of you at this stage of your life are top of the scale and all I can do is send love and wish you the strength you need. By the way, I don't often read threads that don't interest me, I suspect that includes the ones I see as frivolous. Sadly, I'd rather read the politics threads. I probably need therapy xx

annsixty Mon 12-Jun-17 09:26:53

I am sorry that my post didn't come across ad I intended.
I hope that no one stops posting their problems such as clothes, vacuum cleaners, recipes, holiday destinations etc. That is what we are here for. Along with the marriage problems of us or our offspring. Health issues a g happy news of GC are what makes this forum good.
I wasn't really thinking my OP through, just venting about what yesterday I thought of as trivia against the realities of my life.
Unlike Mrs May I can say sorry.?

gillybob Mon 12-Jun-17 09:41:17

No need to apologise annsixty Things just have a way of sometimes getting on top of you, I understand that, and then the simplest of irritations can "push you over the edge".

Don't forget we are all friends here, no problems too big, no problems too small. Glad you will be staying. Happy days. smile

NonnaW Mon 12-Jun-17 09:44:18

I read a lot e posts on here, but have often hesitated to post things myself just st because, in the light of others situations, it seems such a trivial thing to moan about. I'm thinking mainly of the situations that ann and maw are in. My heart goes out to them and also to rubylady, and it makes me realise how lucky I am in my life. Please don't leave GN!

Stansgran Mon 12-Jun-17 10:09:31

Sometimes a trivial annoyance is like the pus on a pimple it shows there is an infection. I'm probably not being clear but when things come to a head it's the straw which breaks the camel's back. Somehow I'm rather proud of my mixed metaphors. Ann stay and be annoyed by trivia. It shows you're alive and kicking.

Serkeen Mon 12-Jun-17 11:10:05

mawbroon what do any of us know of each others lives?.

It was just my opinion, I think its ok to give my opinion.

Your confrontational post was not at all necessary, however we all have our own little characters and as I don't know you from Adam your comment had no impact on me.

Lets hope that some of the posts have helped annsixty deal with her her thoughts on .. I quote.. "frivolous and insignificant posts.

Serkeen Mon 12-Jun-17 11:15:07

kittylister what I said to maw

MawBroon Mon 12-Jun-17 11:21:03

Fair enough serkeen I suppose I thought a more sensitive reading of annsixty's posts might have engendered a more sensitive response.
BTW I see from your profile you "have no patients"
Are you a doctor?

Elegran Mon 12-Jun-17 11:23:01

Indeed, we only know what people have told us about their lives, and what we have read of their posts, if we have read any of them, which I suspect you have not, Serkeen.

Annsixty's has been so shitty lately (far from just "a bit of a bad day") with no prospect of improvement in her husband's or her health, or the many constant grinding days she is spending looking after him) that I am not at all surprised that she finds "frivolous and insignificant posts" such a waste of time and a source of yet more depression.

Swanny Mon 12-Jun-17 11:41:37

ann if you stopped (or even were stopped) posting on GN I would have to shift hell and high water to find out why, as it would be so unfair. GN is many things to many people but one thing it is extremely good at is supporting others. Just posting you are having a shit day can be extremely cathartic so please continue doing that whenever you want. I think you are fantastic; not only are you coping with great difficulties at home but you have also made time recently to support others in RL too.

Of course if you just want to p**s off into the sunset, that's up to you, but please let's have a party first wine wine grin

TriciaF Mon 12-Jun-17 11:53:14

Ann - I often feel the same way as you.
If this adult generation, even the baby-boomers, had to live through the problems of WW2 and the aftermath, as I did as a young aware child (and a few others on here),anything that came later would be trivial.
But TG we haven't had to experience those horrors again, and I'm glad my family can grow up in a relatively safe environment. But, in which there are always problems which need to be aired.