Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be annoyed with my DGD.

(31 Posts)
Nandalot Tue 04-Jul-17 10:47:02

Bit of a long story. My son has lived with his Spanish wife and his three children in Spain for about fifteen years. We usually go over once or twice a year for a long weekend and they come over for 10 days in the summer. Last year they didn't come in the summer as the girls were too busy. (Eldest one, now 16 and a half had boyfriend). We always pay for flights and treats while here. This year so that DG and children who live near us can see her brother/cousins we said that we would like them all to come over to celebrate DH's 70 th. we are all,including DD and family, having four nights in London, trips to Eye etc. Our treat.Fine so far. Bit our hands off. (DS teaches in Spain but wages low so we help out when we can. We always pay their flights and for example pay half of his car payments each month. We have done this latter for 5 years. ) Even said eldest DG could bring said boyfriend. (He is paying own flights). Idea was he would sleep on put u up in breakfast room. Eldest DG is now putting pressure on that she wants to share a bedroom with boyfriend. This means her sister (13 ) would have to share with mum and dad and much younger brother. She has now messaged me to ask if she could sleep with him and her sister in the double and single beds that were originally to be just for the girls. They "won't do anything and it will save us moving furniture" !! I feel very annoyed about this. I feel this will be awkward for younger sister. I appreciate that youngsters will get up to things, I met my DH when I was 16, but would never have dreamt of dictating to my grandparents. So far have ignored message. They arrive tomorrow.
Not sure how her parents feel about this. When talking to DDIL all I got was a lot of giggling

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 04-Jul-17 23:03:06

My reply has nothing to do with whether or not they're sleeping together. It is all about not calling the shots when Nandalot is paying for the whole family to celebrate a milestone birthday in such a special way. It's downright disrespectful and I don't know what the DDIL and DS are playing at even thinking it's acceptable for the DGD to put Nandalot in this position.

Faye Wed 05-Jul-17 10:02:28

To me it seems odd that some parents encourage a sixteen year old to be in an adult type relationship.

I also don't think the thirteen year old should be expected to share a room with her sister and boyfriend while they are sharing a bed.

Seems to me some parents can't deny their children anything.

Nandalot Fri 07-Jul-17 14:51:09

Update. All is harmony and light here, well, give and take. Boyfriend on put you up and sixteen year old DGD has accepted without any moans. Result.

FarNorth Fri 07-Jul-17 15:01:05

Great stuff!

Hope the visit all goes well. smile

Hm999 Fri 07-Jul-17 22:12:32

My limited experience of Spanish offspring of British parents is that the kids have a much greater sense of entitlement than their British families deem desirable.