Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I being silly?

(57 Posts)
angie95 Sat 05-Aug-17 17:45:52

An old friend has lost both parents, her daughter lives abroad, and I have been going every week, with lunch etc, even though I am suffering myself. I have severe arthritis in my joints and spine, as well as curved lower spine. I am having eye operations, and all I hear is, how much she needs her daughter to send her money,as she has none of her own. She never once asks if I'm ok, just texts to see if I'm going round. I am suffering with stress, which is making my skin flare up with eczema, Have had lots of laser eye treatment for glaucoma, am now partially sighted in the left eye and having a cataract op on Monday on the right eye, (to say I'm scared is putting it mildly) on Thursday when I went round, not once did she say "Good luck" just "will you be coming on.Thursday?" I said "no, I need to get used to the eye feeling gritty,for a while,and won't feel like going out. Am I being selfish, even though I have been going every week since January?

Hm999 Sun 06-Aug-17 16:48:00

Is it that she never stops talking when you get there? Is this because you are her main conversation of the week? Perhaps it's not her being uninterested in you, perhaps it's just an outpouring of what she wants to say, but has no-one to say it to?

newfield Sun 06-Aug-17 16:49:27

You should put yourself first but maybe your friend needs some counselling, loneliness can affect people

VIOLETTE Sun 06-Aug-17 19:17:48

You are certainly not being selfish ...quite the opposite ! After my cataract op I was not allowed to drive for a couple of weeks (had lv in one eye as well).....if you drive to see her you have to tell her you will not be coming until the hospital tells you it would be safe to drive ! I know you will be feeling guilty, but there is no need ..you must think of yourself for a while. Once your friend realises you are not going to back down hopefully she will apologise IF she realises how her actions make you feel .....doesn't sound much like a true friend if she never asks you how you are, and especially did not say good luck for your op ! She sound too young for her not to be working and asking her daughter for money ...unless she is disabled and unable to work ...she should find out what benefits she may be entitled to claim which she is not getting ...at that age I suppose she will have to be 'signing on' and looking for work ..unless the DSS have stopped her benefits if she is not complying with their rules !

Very good luck for the op ...you will really notice the difference ...as others have said, it is over so quickly you wonder what you were worried about ! Bon courage flowers

Jayem Sun 06-Aug-17 19:37:23

Don't worry about the cataract operation!! I have had both my eyes treated and it is painless. (Not on the same day.) And uneventful. You won't be able to drive home as your eyesight might be a bit blurry but that soon clears up. And I suggest that you don't rush to become your friend's right hand again!!!!!!!

stevej4491 Sun 06-Aug-17 19:48:48

Don't worry about the operation ,you won't feel a thing. You have drops to numb the eye,no pain or discomfort.

pearl79 Wed 09-Aug-17 07:28:18

hi angie, hope the op went well. smile when you are sufficiently recovered to post on here again, i'm hoping to hear that your friend sent you a card and a bouquet of flowers or pot plant ~ perhaps a box of chocolates. if not, PLEASE send her a brief note saying you think they got lost in the post! plus, as hooty mcowlface and others suggest, let her know which day would be good for her to pop round with a light lunch and her cheery encouragement in your "hour of need".
but maybe you're going to tell us all that the reason you were helping her out so much was that she'd had a double amputation and is unable to walk to visit you? remind her she needs the help of the cab if she's genuinely struggling with finances, but in my experience the people who complain most tend to have more money than those they're complaining to.