Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect people to cover their mouths when they yawn?

(54 Posts)
phoenix Wed 09-Aug-17 21:10:04

I appreciate that yawning, unlike coughing or sneezing, is unlikely to spread any germs.

But it looks bloody awful!

I'm often reminded of a hippopotamus, not quite sure why, but that wide open mouth, with all teeth and throat on display...........

Jeannie59 Fri 11-Aug-17 21:39:05

Oh and seeing someone with a cigarette hanging out their mouths. Again especially a woman!!!' So un feminine

phoenix Fri 11-Aug-17 21:46:54

Oh heaven's, of course the crossing of the legs when coughing or sneezing!blush

But I have never had any (ahem) problem with (ahem) "leakage/emissions" type problems whilst yawning confused

NoddingGanGan Wed 16-Aug-17 13:43:39

I must admit that I've caught myself doing exactly that just recently and been mortified. Living alone, I don't feel the need when yawning at home as others have pointed out but it's a slippery slope so I'm reverting to behaving as though there were someone with me all the time.
No, no to putting a hand to mouth when coughing or sneezing. Like the Americans, into the elbow. You don't know who's hand you may have to shake or which door handle you may have to use before you get a chance to wash!
I hate seeing feet on seats and am always admonishing my DD for sitting with her feet on the kneeler in church. They're for knees not outdoor shoes!
Incidentally, someone told me recently that yawning is neither a sign of tiredness or boredom, it's a sign of too little oxygen in the brain and that is why it's so catching. Apparently, your brain sees it as a message that there's a shortage of oxygen so makes you yawn to pull more in.
Not sure of the truth in that mind you, anyone else?