Gransnet forums

AIBU

No email

(65 Posts)
NanKate Sun 20-Aug-17 18:14:34

A few members of my WI are not on email. I am no longer on the committee however as I on the Fundraising committee and a number of other sections of the WI, I need to contact members pretty regularly.

It really irritates me that I am forced to phone them with a query, as opposed to a quick email. If they are out I then have to leave a message and my one friend doesn't always check her answerphone. Those without email often don't use their mobiles, other than in an emergency so I can't even text them.

Today I was writing to two members I emailed one and printed off a copy of the email for the other and will post it, at my expense, to her as it contains detailed info she will need for next month.

To make matters worse those not on email or mobiles almost take a pleasure in announcing they do not embrace modern technology. ?

Jalima1108 Sun 20-Aug-17 18:22:32

I am beginning to wonder if they are the ones with more sense NanKate!

Ana Sun 20-Aug-17 18:27:22

Why, Jalima?

They wouldn't have to use it regularly, but it would make life a lot easier for those who need to contact them such as NanKate!

Gagagran Sun 20-Aug-17 18:57:10

Huge sympathy NanKate - I am in the same position.

I have been President of our WI for the past three years and have one long-term member of the committee who refuses to "do technology". She expects me to phone her with everything as she is not on my committee group e-mail then complains that she is always last to know what's going on.

I am so fed up with her that I have announced that I am resigning from the committee at our AGM in October . She took the wind out of my sails a bit though when she said she was too!

NanKate Sun 20-Aug-17 18:59:43

Yes thanks Ana it really is a nuisance but I hold back from complaining to them as some are quite old and I would not want to make them feel uncomfortable.

It's the people who revel in not using modern technology, such as my sister. When she visits from her home in Italy she asks someone at the airport to phone me on their mobile in order that I can collect her from the station hmm If the train is late she has no way of telling me other than borrowing another phone.

Jalima I do agree some folk use their technology so much they miss life going by.

NanKate Sun 20-Aug-17 19:02:15

I'm sorry to hear that you are departing Gagagran but I fully appreciate your annoyance.

My friend's husband will not buy her an Ipad, he is rolling in money, I offered to go and get one with her and set it up but she said it would cause untold trouble at home.

cornergran Sun 20-Aug-17 19:12:40

We have a friend who has never used a computer or the text function on her mobile which is turned off unless she is about to travel away from home. I do sympathise nankate, each little message to her requires a usually long phone conversation. Our friend often asks me to check things for her using my phone or iPad and complains life is very difficult. She could learn, she chooses not to. I know we all get frustrated with technology at times, I don't do anything complex, but it's really not that hard to manage the basics. Now if the technology didn't exist we'd all manage, but it does and life moves forward. Shame to be left behind.

mcem Sun 20-Aug-17 19:39:56

nan what's to stop her buying her own if she chooses to, other than the disapproval of a grumpy husband?
Does he disapprove of technology or of women?

Jalima1108 Sun 20-Aug-17 19:43:03

Why, Jalima?
Ana Just thinking of the shock and upset there has been on here recently when posters realised what the implications of being online on a forum like this are!!

ps My TG secretary sends out messages online which is brilliant but there are a few who don't 'embrace technology' and one or two who do but always moan they have been 'left off the list'
(check you emails? let the secretary know?)

Jalima1108 Sun 20-Aug-17 19:44:39

My sister is one such - we tried to persuade her to keep a pc after her partner died but she would not.
I'm sure she would pick it up quickly and would enjoy being in contact with others - but no.

rockgran Sun 20-Aug-17 20:16:02

I don't mind if people want to be tech free but I do find it irritating when they want to use my knowledge and technical equipment when they need something. I wasn't born knowing how to use a computer - I made the effort!

M0nica Sun 20-Aug-17 20:45:11

I accept it when people have reached an age and condition where they really cannot cope with or understand technology.

The ones who irritate me are those who could manage very well to use a computer, but just refuse to.

The friend who defeats me is the one who spent her working life in the electronics industry working on the development of software systems for all kinds of equipment but in her retirement has ditched all home information systems and has only a basic phone, text and phoning only.

NanKate Sun 20-Aug-17 20:48:35

Mcem my friend could easily buy herself an IPad but she worries her DH would disapprove of her buying it herself, I know pathetic isn't it ? She has bad arthritis and using an IPad would make her life so much easier.

To be fair her DH is good to her in some respects but not when he thinks his valuable time would be taken up helping her. Some DHs are a pain the the butt I wouldn't have lasted a week with him.

Deedaa Sun 20-Aug-17 20:51:22

I have a couple of friends who both have computers and do use email now and then. Neither of them seem to text and while one is on facebook but doesn't use it for months on end, the other one doesn't "Do" facebook at all. I get so used to bunging odd bits and pieces on there and messaging people when things crop up and it seems such a palaver to have to start phoning (and probably having to leave a message) or witing a letter about something that is probably just a trivial bit of chat.

NanKate Sun 20-Aug-17 21:08:31

So true Deedaa I feel your pain smile

grandma60 Sun 20-Aug-17 21:18:28

I have a friend who has a mobile phone but will not turn it on even when she is out. This means that even if she sends me a message if we are meeting up, by the time I have read it and replied she has turned it off again. She says she doesn't want to waste the battery.hmm

ElaineI Sun 20-Aug-17 22:40:54

Sorry but I think it is up to each person whether they use technology or not. To use email you need a computer, tablet or smart phone and wifi or a mobile operating system and this costs money. What does annoy me is people who who don't use it but go on and on about not using it/needing it and being left behind and yes people who don't entertain it but ask other people to look up things or order things! Like my mother!

ninathenana Mon 21-Aug-17 07:42:01

H uses his Kindle for the net but wouldn't have a clue how to read or write an e-mail. He never hears his mobile but also never checks for texts and dosen't know how to send them either so I can't leave a message when he dosen't pick up angry
Yes D and I have both shown him on more than one occasion.

Anya Mon 21-Aug-17 08:09:41

Well at least all on this forum are not technophobes. It's very much to do with keeping an open mind and not being like my late MiL who insisted she would not use the new money when we went decimal in 1972!

NanKate Mon 21-Aug-17 08:18:46

I remember too Anya my mum at least asking me to give her lessons in using the new money. It didn't take her long to get the hang of it. She was always worried that someone was going to 'diddle' her grin

suzied Mon 21-Aug-17 08:19:39

If someone really has some kind of disability which make it impossible to access emails etc then I agree they should be accommodated, but if they just can't be bothered to get into the 21st century for whatever reason, they shouldn't moan about being left out / missing invitations etc. Such people will surely get fewer as time and technology moves on.

Anniebach Mon 21-Aug-17 08:48:39

How inconsiderate of these people ! Causing others to lift up a telephone or even write a letter.

suzied Mon 21-Aug-17 08:52:11

I think it is inconsiderate if someone is running some sort of voluntary organisation and are spending their own time contacting people. Or if people ask to use your phone / order something online for them when there's no good reason why they can't do it themselves other than they can't be bothered.

Anniebach Mon 21-Aug-17 09:04:31

Can't be bothered is easier to say than can't afford or am scared I will fail.

glammanana Mon 21-Aug-17 09:25:18

Even though most of my friends are on e-mail and easily contacted lasy week I spent an hour writing to three of my pals about the Country by way of a missing you card,there is nothing nicer than a personilised letter popping through the letter box.