Gransnet forums

AIBU

No email

(66 Posts)
NanKate Sun 20-Aug-17 18:14:34

A few members of my WI are not on email. I am no longer on the committee however as I on the Fundraising committee and a number of other sections of the WI, I need to contact members pretty regularly.

It really irritates me that I am forced to phone them with a query, as opposed to a quick email. If they are out I then have to leave a message and my one friend doesn't always check her answerphone. Those without email often don't use their mobiles, other than in an emergency so I can't even text them.

Today I was writing to two members I emailed one and printed off a copy of the email for the other and will post it, at my expense, to her as it contains detailed info she will need for next month.

To make matters worse those not on email or mobiles almost take a pleasure in announcing they do not embrace modern technology. ?

Witzend Tue 22-Aug-17 10:00:46

Before retiring I worked in our local library, and it would sometimes astonish me how people quite a bit younger than I was had not a clue. Sometimes they needed to apply for a job online, having never used a computer. We didn't always have time but if we did it meant sitting with them for ages, not just the application but helping them to set up an email account - and then explaining that they did not have to come back to that particular computer to use it!

I particularly remember the sheer frustration with one woman who invented a very complicated password - (so nobody will be able to guess it!) - and refused to write it down - I had told her that she must put it in EXACTLY or it wouldn't work - and lo, having spent ages setting the account up, she couldn't remember it accurately. Such a waste of time.

OTOH there was once an old chap who must have been well over 80 - came in with a newspaper cutting with a website about something he was interested in. He had never touched a computer in his life. I showed him the basics, clicking on links, going back, etc. - he got it right away and was so delighted - went off saying it was wonderful, he was off to buy a computer at once!

Bambam Tue 22-Aug-17 15:41:56

I joined a ten week course at Lifelong Learning about 15 years ago for basic computer skills. Even now I have to ask Grandchildren how to do certain stuff and help me out with iphone. Even my 8year old GS knows lots more than me but I manage and if not I ask.

goldengirl Tue 22-Aug-17 16:02:32

I think it's unfair that you have to run around after people who are not on email. That is their choice and they should do the running, not you. Time moves on and email etc is what we currently use. Not many of us use fax machines for example not but many of us will have done when we were working. Technology is changing all the time and it's in our best interest to keep up - we don't write on papyrus now do we? Or with a quill pen? I expect there were similar grumbles when those slipped out of general usage smile

Eloethan Tue 22-Aug-17 16:38:11

I can see it is inconvenient but I can think of far worse things people could do than not be on e-mail.

It seems to me that this sort of group disapproval is one way of making everybody feel they must conform if they are to be acceptable to others - and I'm not sure I like it.

I while ago I read a book by Dave Eggars called The Circle, in which peoples' every move, thought and deed had to be accessible to everyone else or they would be seen as anti-social/subversive. It was quite a disquieting book and I could see how easily pressure could be put on people to conform to the notion that being ruled by technology is not only perfectly natural but also obligatory.

suzied Tue 22-Aug-17 19:59:49

It's not obligatory but people shouldn't expect everyone else to run around to accommodate them.

Goblinsattackin Tue 22-Aug-17 20:43:43

introduce them to Grindr OP. You might well get them to convert.

Goblinsattackin Wed 23-Aug-17 15:01:06

no seriously, I'm in a similar position. I do a big group mail for about 60 people and I'm well aware that some people just won't read email but will complain etc about not being told. I'm going to try to group text anyone who prefers it, but I'm never going to catch everyone. I've offered to teach anyone who wants to learn, but no takers.

cc Thu 24-Aug-17 14:34:24

Years ago I was a lecturer on a government funded Employment Training course which taught IT, literacy and numeracy. I rarely found anybody who wasn't capable of learning enough to use email and the more usual programs.
Later I taught on other courses and had one elderly student who returned every year to take courses. She really enjoyed the courses and the company though she did find it hard to remember everything from year to year and did the same courses every time.
Perhaps the WI would be able to run basic courses for anyone who is interested in starting from scratch? There's bound to be one member who has taught or knows enough about it to write a couple of basic sheets on how to use a simple email program. I'm guessing that a couple of hours spent with someone patient who knows what they are doing would be enough to conquer email.
I do wonder if those who are scathing about using email are simply unwilling to admit that they haven't a clue how to use a computer.

Elrel Thu 24-Aug-17 15:01:30

OP - maybe you, or whoever takes over from you, could arrange for specific committee members, or ordinary members, to telephone each person without email. No one needs to make more than one call, it could preferably be a friend of the one who doesn't use email.
Apology if this has already been suggested, I didn't RTFT!

Serkeen Thu 24-Aug-17 15:34:57

I would love to not have to have a mobile or email.

I wish for that day smile

grannyticktock Sat 26-Aug-17 22:57:32

I think there's a bit of a divide between people who learned some basic computer skills at work and those who retired before this was an issue; for the latter group, it's more of an effort, although many have a spouse or offspring who can help teach them.

But age is no barrier - my aunt (now 92) acquired a computer when she was in her mid 80s. My cousin showed her the basics, and now she enjoys receiving and reading emails, although she prefers to reply by phone.

missourisusan Sat 07-Oct-17 00:50:08

I know people who won't Facebook, but groups I'm in just post to Facebook about meetings they have had & when there's another one. My favorite is a garage sale group here in Reno and you can really pick up bargains. My Facebook page? I never post on it. Only my 6 friends can see anything and the Picture on it isn't of a person.

Menopaws Sat 07-Oct-17 08:34:51

My mum uses her iPad aged 90 and keeps in touch with friends, all the grandchildren send her regular notes and photos and she plays scrabble online, does jigsaws and reads the news. Skype we do with her but she gets to see the faraway family. All those things keep her active mentally and involved. It only took a few lessons and she was off.
I always think if other oldies were shown how to do it, these simple activities would give them so much entertainment

Tweedle24 Sat 07-Oct-17 13:08:26

I am the secretary of another organisation and several of the members do not have a computer, let alone access to e-mail. It has never occurred to me to expect everyone to be on line. Apart from everything else, it is not cheap to have broadband. Who am I to tell people how to spend their money?

Cindersdad Sun 08-Oct-17 12:04:51

I look after the Website and Newsletter for my local U3A. Around 25% of the members do not have access to the internet let alone have an email address. Of those that do many do not check for emails regularly. The newsletter in printed monthly and cannot cater for late changes.

Any suggestions for getting round this problem.