Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to resent having to doublecheck EVERYTHING?

(52 Posts)
LadyO Wed 06-Sep-17 12:24:17

Doing quite a big shop in Boots, paid with debit card at the desk and thought "that's a lot more than I thought it would be..." checked receipt and I'd been overcharged by £23... (same item scanned 3 times). Got a refund. Went to Starbucks for quick lunch, paid, thought "that doesn't seem right", sure enough, charged twice for my yoghurt! Both 'mistakes' within 10 mins! Moral: CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS angry

Auntieflo Wed 06-Sep-17 12:56:45

Well done LadyO. I always check my receipts, after being charged £20 for a lettuce some years ago. DH doesn't usually check, but if we have eaten out, I usually check the bill.

Imperfect27 Wed 06-Sep-17 13:19:34

I always check my receipts too and there is quite a high margin of errors. But it would be good if these were spotted and eradicated at the till by the cashier checking, rather than having to go through the process of the customer services queue!

Not unreasonable at all.

LadyO Wed 06-Sep-17 13:46:27

The excuse on both of these 'mistakes' was that the till scanned the item multiple times... well if that's the case and it keeps happening maybe they should report it and get the scanner serviced... makes me think that often people don't complain as they just don't notice they've been overcharged at the till...

FarNorth Wed 06-Sep-17 16:33:29

I recently had two instances of a special offer item going through at full price. One charged 49p too much and one 99p too much. Not to be sniffed at.
Both times, I noticed because I was only buying a couple of things but might not have if it had been a big shopping.

Poly580 Thu 07-Sep-17 09:51:43

On a recent purchase I paid by cc. The lady offered me the card machine to enter my pin. I didn't check and entered my pin. Two weeks later at the same chemist the pharmacist said they had been looking for me and didn't know where I lived. The reason being the staff had not put the amount of the purchase in the card machine and I then entered my pin of 8921 and that became the purchase figure. I would have realised when my cc bill arrived but it's definitely one to watch.... the funny thing was the lady serving me said " at least you won't have to change your pin because there is only us that knows it" haha
Check there is a purchase amount in the machine before you enter your pin!

glammanana Thu 07-Sep-17 10:03:13

In the supermarket yesterday I was charged £8.85 for a small piece of cheese,it was only after checking at what I thought was a lot for so few items that I noticed that I had been charged the Kilo price and not the small wedge price of £1.47.As others I only noticed because I was buying a few items but within my big weekly shop I would not have noticed straight away,I am going to make sure I watch the scanner from now on.

Mauriherb Thu 07-Sep-17 10:03:19

Poly580 that happened to me, unfortunately I suspect that mine was deliberate but , like you, I always check the amount on the machine now

Icyalittle Thu 07-Sep-17 10:09:43

I take it you have now changed your pin Poly580 !!

Kim0612 Thu 07-Sep-17 10:47:21

I always check my Asda one's as there are normally mistakes on there too.

HMarie Thu 07-Sep-17 10:47:29

I'm a regular bill-checker these days too and it's definitely a habit worth getting into. Like FarNorth, I find reduced items frequently get charged at the original price (usually because the wrong barcode is scanned). Or some other offer either isn't applied at the checkout or turns out not to be valid after all. M&S are the worst culprits as they're so bad at describing their offers accurately. And by the way, if you buy wine there but don't want to buy 6 bottles to get a 25% discount, ask them what happens if you buy 3 bottles instead. I discovered you get 20% off even though they don't advertise the fact!

Jaycee5 Thu 07-Sep-17 10:48:43

I went to a local shop a few days ago and vaguely though 'that's more than I expected' but was a bit foggy brained with a cold and tiredness and didn't really focus. When I got home I had a pack of cheap unnamed cheese, a box of fish burgers and a big tub of buttermilk spread in addition to my own stuff. The shopkeeper had been in the middle of serving someone else who had then gone off to get something else and so he served me in the middle (I didn't register this at the time).
I have always been absent minded and there is no cure for it. It wasn't my mistake but I feel embarrassed to go back to the shop for some reason.

devongirl Thu 07-Sep-17 10:50:50

LadyO, I completely agree. The main culprit locally for me has been the grocery shop in a filling station, where they often either don't apply multi-purchase discounts, or don't reduce the price on marked-down items at the end of the day. I suspect the latter sometimes comes down to laziness, in that they have to scan in the bar code for the full price, then reduce it manually.

glammygranny Thu 07-Sep-17 11:03:20

I was once charged £280 instead of £28 for petrol. I didn't notice as I was in a hurry on the way to the airport. It was only when I got home and found I couldn't get any money out of the atm that I realised something was up. I rang the filling station and they insisted they would need to check their cameras from that time to confirm what I was driving! I did get my refund in the end but lesson learned and I now check all receipts and have discovered many errors over the years.

CardiffJaguar Thu 07-Sep-17 11:37:22

If you pay attention at the till you can hear the beeps when an item is registered, and watch the item placed aside. It is simple yet many people are too busy talking to notice.

Mercedes55 Thu 07-Sep-17 11:40:06

I was buying some wrapping paper in Mothercare yesterday, the pack clearly had £1.99 on the front, the assistant scanned it and asked for £2.50!

Last week I bought 10 packs of coffee that were on offer in Tesco. They were reduced from £2.70 to £2.00 but I was charged £2.70 for each of them and if I hadn't checked the receipt when I got home I'd be none the wiser.

starlily106 Thu 07-Sep-17 11:43:47

My son once did the weekly shop and had bought about the same amount of things as usual. He told the assistant, and was robbed off. He paid the bill, moved away from the till, and then checked the receipt. He had been charges £99 for something that should have been 99p. Waited for the assistant to finish with the customer who was being served, then told the lad about it. No apology, just told "go to the customer care desk". He then had to wait in a long queue, then a further wait while an investigation went on, finally getting the money back with no apology whatsoever. Ever since then i have always checked receipts, and have found mistakes lots of times. Varies from being charged twice for something, charged full price for things which are on special offer, and and twice charged for something that was rung up twice instead of once, then again when the cancellation went through as another charge. Very peculiar that I have never got a receipt which undercharged me!

starlily106 Thu 07-Sep-17 11:44:43

Sorry that should have been fobbed off.

aggie Thu 07-Sep-17 11:56:18

OMG I never check , probably been robbed sad

curlilox Thu 07-Sep-17 12:04:52

I was in a filling station a while ago and the cashier had been given the wrong pump number by an elderly gentleman and he had paid for my fuel by mistake. Luckily he hadn't driven off. It took them quite a while to sort it out.

Nelliemaggs Thu 07-Sep-17 12:11:58

I bought a couple of baking potatoes once and only checked the receipt when I got home. They had been rung up as Pick-and-Mix. A difference of over £6. That shop didn't even sell Pick-and-Mix!

Craftycat Thu 07-Sep-17 12:45:53

Being numerically dyslexic ( probably spelt that wrong too!)
I would be there all day trying to check my bill properly- I never check change either for same reason. I do look through the items though as a rough check
I've probably been overcharged many times although I do have an idea of the amount my weekly Sainsburys' bill should come to.

Stella14 Thu 07-Sep-17 12:45:58

And do we ever find that we have been undercharged? No, we don't. Funny that! ?

puppytoe Thu 07-Sep-17 12:47:13

I was once charged £500 instead of £5 on my d

puppytoe Thu 07-Sep-17 12:54:45

debit card in Her on! Fortunately I checked my balance on my mobile app when l got home! I always pay cash in Her on now.