Gransnet forums

AIBU

What's wrong with bidets?

(111 Posts)
giulia Sat 23-Sep-17 11:08:42

I intend coming back to the UK in the short term, after almost 50 years of living in places where bidets in bathrooms are the norm. It would be fair to say that the lack of a bidet would be one of the things that I would mind most upon my return. Why are people in the UK so against them? Should you have one, you would be considered a tremendous snob -is what I'm told. I know you can buy them in the UK: I've seen them in the shops, but I have never seen one anywhere in an actual bathroom. I visited a most luxurious one recently, on my latest visit to the UK, but there was no bidet. They are soooo useful. Fantastic footbaths or for leaving smalls overnight. I use mine to quickly disinfect washable shoes too. I use it both for its natural purpose and to rinse my feet, before I step into a luxurious bath. My bidet also gives me so much self confidence in hot weather. Most of all, it was essential prior to the menopause (one problem less, thankfully). Wetwipes just aren't the same and also risk blocking the sewer, even if they are called "disposable".

HootyMcOwlface Sun 24-Sep-17 12:10:32

I've only stayed in hotels (long long ago!) that had bidets, but I never knew how to use them. Do you sit on it or squat hovering over it, and do you sit forwards (like on the lav) or face the wall? I think I just brought a chair in and sat soaking my aching feet in it!

AlieOxon Sun 24-Sep-17 12:42:34

I suppose there might be room in my bathroom, but I prefer the bookcase I've got there!

GoldenAge Sun 24-Sep-17 12:44:36

I had a bidet in my bathroom from the moment I was able to make my own decisions in my own property - and insisted on an upward fountain type which really does the job of washing for a woman - however when I moved to my London address the bathroom just wasn't large enough to accommodate a bidet and I really really missed it - having moved again I still have a bathroom which can't take a bidet - I wonder whether it's because men don't use bidets as much as women that houses are designed with tiny bathrooms that don't cater for women's needs

Leonora47 Sun 24-Sep-17 13:03:06

Just love bidets. We lived in France for twenty years, and,"Biddie" came with the house we bought there. When our GP friend came to stay, she was enchanted with Biddie's versatility; saying that if the Government's Building Standards Minister could see what she saw on her daily round of, 'geriatric house calls', bidets would become compulsory for all new-builds, and care homes.
When we returned to UK, my husband, who had Dementia, became doubly incontinent; and then how I missed Biddie's warm and gentle help with the inevitable mopping- up!

SiobhanSharpe Sun 24-Sep-17 13:14:50

They are still quite common in good hotels in Spain and Portugal, (less so in France these days) and sometimes found in Italy too. You are usually provided with flannels and towels just for bidet use (already hanging up or folded by the bidet) so hygiene should not be a problem.
We have had one at home for years, updating through at least three bathroom refurbs; I would never be without one. We also have a separate towel hanger for the bidet towel.
And if/when we move and there is no bidet in place we would re-do the bathroom to fit one in, as a priority. They are just incredibly useful for all the purposes others have stated above.
I also particularly like mine for a good long foot-soak when my feet are tired and aching. So refreshing , with the right Radox salts or whatever. (I'm not a fan of baths and we have a large walk-in shower instead but you don't always want to get wet all over!)

JanaNana Sun 24-Sep-17 13:39:17

Some of our family live in Lincolnshire where bidets are are very much in use. A lot of the rural properties seem to have really big bathrooms so there is plenty of space to house them. Maybe they just have a penchant for them in that area! The only other time I have seen them is when I lived in Germany in the 70s and I think most people seemed to have them then.

EmilyHarburn Sun 24-Sep-17 14:44:57

I had a bidet which I used before bed and during periods. Then we had the bathroom redesigned to include a shower and bath separate so could not keep the bidet. We compromised by having a hose on the side of the loo so I can wash down there any time but not my feet!!!

I have just come back from Japan where they have all singing and dancing loos but I am not great on technology so am happy with my hose and its shower head.

giulia Sun 24-Sep-17 15:54:15

By the way, it is the norm in Italy to have a bidet and the bad news is that we Westerners are considered a bit shocking because we don't use them.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 24-Sep-17 16:41:58

Whatever your opinion on bidets, sadly many of us in the UK have no choice but to live in such a small house that there's simply no room for this luxurious item.

Grannynise Sun 24-Sep-17 17:34:46

I have an 'upwards shower' bidet but when I wanted to replace it with a more modern one I found that the upward shower style is now banned. I kept the old one.

Doreen5 Sun 24-Sep-17 17:35:12

Have always had a bidet in each bathroom. Marvellous!

Iam64 Sun 24-Sep-17 17:38:12

There have been bidets in a couple of houses when we moved in. They were not replaced when we had better bathrooms installed. I don't believe I'm a grubby person but a good shower does the trick - or am I on my own here?

CardiffJaguar Sun 24-Sep-17 17:56:34

They are more common than many people believe. We've had one in our previous home but not at present because of space and plumbing problems. I believe that having so many French people employed in the UK has made a difference in perceptions.

JackyB Sun 24-Sep-17 18:01:35

I'm still not convinced. And how come you are sitting in the bidet? I've never seen one that is big enough - and even if it was, how would you get in and out? (With a lot of grunting and preferably with the use of pulleys?)

I have been reminded of the tip the midwife gave me after my first birth: An old-fashioned jug of warm water beside the loo, which you poured down over your "bits" to wash afterwards. Found that quite helpful. And no water squirting off in all directions.

Grannyknot Sun 24-Sep-17 18:03:18

This thread is making me grin.

Firstly, it has spawned TMI blush in some of the replies. Secondly - A Bidet in Every Bathroom! Soon come the TV series ...

AlgeswifeVal Sun 24-Sep-17 18:19:41

I would love to have a bidet at home but my bathroom is too small. My husband and I used to own a villa in Spain which had a bidet, loved using it, now sold. I often wonder why the UK doesn't have these like other countries. Shame.

pollyperkins Sun 24-Sep-17 18:59:21

I suggested this for our new bathroom but was poo pooed (pardon the pun) by all the family who said no-one has them these days and they are quite unnecessary. I dont find a shower washes you in quite the right direction. And do you all have separate towels for drying your bottom after a shower??!! If not why is a bidet dfferent? From what I recall a flannel is not needed - but Im thinking of the upward fountain type. What do the new ones do?

MissAdventure Sun 24-Sep-17 19:03:12

Is an upward squirt of water healthy? I always think of embolisms or something. I've never used a bidet, but enjoyed reading about them here. They sound great!

pollyperkins Sun 24-Sep-17 19:08:28

It's only a gentle warmish fountain - lovely! Not a hard squirt!

MissAdventure Sun 24-Sep-17 19:10:04

Ah, ok. I think my imagination got the better of me there grin

Breda Sun 24-Sep-17 19:28:36

My father had one installed in our bathroom way back in 1966. My mother thought he was being stupid and was very critical as I recall!

wondergran Sun 24-Sep-17 19:43:09

I'm think lemongrove has hit the nail on the head; we simply don't have room for them in our UK bathrooms. I would love to have a bidet in my bathroom but it's far too small. I've only ever seen them whilst holiday abroad. Perhaps we have a bit of a bum phobia in this country.

Grannyguitar Sun 24-Sep-17 19:45:31

We had a bidet in a previous house, but I could never get the water temperature right and nearly boiled myself several times! I once heard my small son explaining its use to a friend and telling him 'Look, you can get it to spray the ceiling!' Yes, it was dripping when I went in there!

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Sep-17 19:57:52

A friend went to stay with friends in the US and came across an upwards fountain bidet.
Absolutely thrilled by this they decided to film it.
She sat (wouldn't work if there wasn't a bottom on it) then jumped off so he could get a video. Unfortunately it flooded the room and they had to come up with a reason why the towels were soaking wet!! Normal for Norfolk?

annodomini Sun 24-Sep-17 20:32:57

I had one in my last house but can't say I've felt the lack of it since I downsized.