Gransnet forums

AIBU

What are your superstitions?

(91 Posts)
MesMopTop Wed 27-Sep-17 00:36:47

Not sure where to put this, so apologies if I've posted in the wrong place. I was just thinking about some of the little things I do that are just superstitions. I know the world won't stop turning if I break one. Would be interesting to know other people's. If someone asks me to pass the salt, I won't hand it to them but will place it on the table in front of them. I don't borrow or lend salt either.,no shoes on the table either. I never bought a pram until after baby was born and if I see a newborn baby I give silver coins to the parents. Get some odd looks there until I expldin myself. I never buy fish on a Monday and I always greet the magpies. Won't have peacock feathers or lilacs in the house. I open the doors and windows after the new year bells and I could go on and on... What are some of your little quirks?

tanith Wed 27-Sep-17 05:59:26

Can't think of one grin

BlueBelle Wed 27-Sep-17 06:01:16

I don't have any that I know of

gillybob Wed 27-Sep-17 07:05:34

Oh damned Magpies! One for sorrow, two for joy etc.

If I see one Magpie I have to bid "him" good morning/afternoon and ask after his family. My grandchildren giggle and (quite rightly) think I am mad as a hatter.

Greyduster Wed 27-Sep-17 08:00:52

I like to think I am not superstitious, but if I spill salt I will throw a pinch over my left shoulder, and crossing others on stairs is another hmm.

tessagee Wed 27-Sep-17 08:08:36

Growing up in an isolated part of Ireland I've got quite a few: a frog or wild bird coming into the house indicates a death in the family is about to happen.

Bluebells, ivy or hawthorn blossom should never be brought indoors and never ever ever cut down a lone hawthorn bush in the middle of a field. The fairies don't like it and you'll bring bad luck on the household.

A horseshoe should be nailed up outside all animal outhouses for protection (always with the open end up).

I could go on and on but you get the gist.

vampirequeen Wed 27-Sep-17 08:32:51

I throw salt over my shoulder if I spill it and knock on wood.

Iam64 Wed 27-Sep-17 08:37:29

I was brought up by a mother with many superstitions. Salt was thrown over the left shoulder using the right hand if any had been spilled. Poison Ivy, hawthorn blossom, mother in laws tongue etc never to be brought into the house. Never walk under a ladder, have a horseshoe, open end up somewhere in the house or front garden, don't cross on the stairs, if you wash your hands in the sink at the same time as a loved one, spit or you may fall out. Magpies credited with all kinds of magical properties, one for sorrow, two for joy. As with tessagee I could go on but you'll have the picture.

Maranta Wed 27-Sep-17 08:37:33

I don't have any [crossed fingers].

loopyloo Wed 27-Sep-17 08:39:38

I can't leave the house without my phone, now. Something always happens when I don't have it on me.

phoenix Wed 27-Sep-17 09:12:49

The fish on a Monday thing is not a superstition, it's because it usually wasn't fresh!

Auntieflo Wed 27-Sep-17 09:20:35

Grew up with Mum's superstitions, so if I spill salt, I throw a pinch over my shoulder. Don't put new shoes on a table. Never cross knives. If you give a purse/handbag, there should always be a coin inside. If you receive a knofe as a gift, you should give a small coin to the giver, so you don't sever the friendship. Don't walk under ladders. Don't change the (everlasting) calendat date on 12th to 13th. Etc, etc.

Iam64 Wed 27-Sep-17 09:21:59

Yes all of those as well Auntieflo.
Phoenix is right about fish and Mondays. We always had fish on Friday, although we weren't a Catholic family. My mother saw it as part of being Christian. It's a bit scary how much I recall of the indoctrination isn't it!

Skweek1 Wed 27-Sep-17 09:22:42

New babies always get a coin - this week one of our choir members had her baby grandson with her and 3 of us all donated to his future financial security, which seemed strange, as locally they've never heard of this tradition and I normally have to explain it to the parents. Also when giving a purse or wallet it always contains a £5 note. Shoes on table became a family tradition as my grandfather died very young having put new shoes on the table. Dad always made a hole in the bottom of a boiled egg and turned it upside down to let the witches out, but I've also seen the shell crushed to keep them in - I wonder which is the better option.

ninathenana Wed 27-Sep-17 09:23:41

New shoes on the table, don't open an umbrella indoors, don't let a black cat cross your path were some of my mum's. I ignore all these, my black cat crosses my path serveral times a day smile
H greets Magpies with " 'morning major"

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 27-Sep-17 09:24:02

That's a new one, loopyloo. I throw salt over my left shoulder, say 'touch wood' and tap my head, no new shoes on the table. When I see a single magpie I always cast about for a second one. When I turn the calendar over for a new month I say 'white rabbits', not that I'm superstitious of course.
Whenever I buy a lotto ticket I ask for a winner but it hasn't worked yet.

Christinefrance Wed 27-Sep-17 09:24:26

Our mothers must have been twins Auntieflo all those superstitions for me and the magpie one.

saoirse1961 Wed 27-Sep-17 09:24:52

Came from Ireland. After the Hallowe'en party, we used to leave a glass of water and the food that was left over from the party for the souls that passed through the house. Then in the morning we'd have 3 sips of the water and bless ourselves !!

Diddy1 Wed 27-Sep-17 09:28:18

Under the ladder, salt over left shoulder when spilt, coin in a new purse etc. remember from my childhood, but one I still do not do is to have red and white flowers in the same vase, this is from my Nursing days, we never did that, it was supposed to be a sign of death! No use taking any chances!

wildswan16 Wed 27-Sep-17 09:31:44

I always give a silver coin to the baby too. "silvering the baby" is said to bring them wealth in later life. It first has to go into the baby's hand, then passed onto the parent.

A rowan tree in front of the door is also good luck and I have never had one until I retired and moved into a second floor flat. I now have one under my living room window so I hope that counts.

Teetime Wed 27-Sep-17 09:34:38

Some of mine have practical reasons;-
- no shoes on the table =unhygienic
- don't walk under ladders =something may fall on your head

That kind of thing but
-red and white flowers in the same vase - blood and bandages (old nurses superstition)

mischief Wed 27-Sep-17 09:36:23

Don't walk under a ladder, but that's because I don't want anything dropped on my head. Fingers crossed. Touch wood. But they are just things I say. I don't believe anything will happen if I don't say them. So, no, I don't have any superstitions, just habits.

mops52 Wed 27-Sep-17 09:44:56

I don't open the windows but do all the other things. I won't give anything sharp as a present either unless I get a penny in return. I blame my Cornish ancestry.

Liz46 Wed 27-Sep-17 09:51:02

Things happen in threes. Other than that I am not superstitious - touch wood!

lemongrove Wed 27-Sep-17 09:53:30

No, not superstitious at all, but it's common sense not to walk under ladders.