Gransnet forums

AIBU

I am bit cross

(81 Posts)
louli Wed 18-Oct-17 14:07:51

So I did a post on my Facebook yesterday about something I went to earlier in the week. It got a few nice likes and comments but one person pointed out I had missed out an apostrophe in one bit. First of all does it really matter that much? And secondly isn't it rude to do that even if she is right? It's only an apostrophe after all

Aslemma Fri 20-Oct-17 16:30:06

There is a very good reason for the rules in grammar, including the apostrophy and the standard of spelling is often appalling, but I would never point it out to someone on FB, although I might make an answering comment, using the incorrect word properly spelt. I have no problem with people not knowing the plural for words such as gymnasium as not many of us were taught Latin at school.

lemongrove Fri 20-Oct-17 16:34:20

Yes, correcting another person for a grammar mistake or a spelling mistake is very rude.It happens in lots of places, including GN.Some have no social awareness.

Menopaws Fri 20-Oct-17 18:24:01

I hate bad grammar, spelling etc but it has to be understood that when anything is typed on social sites it is generally speed or 'fat finger syndrome' which we all suffer from and is therefore acceptable as far as I'm concerned. It is far more important on public signs, leaflets, magazines etc

Theoddbird Fri 20-Oct-17 19:03:53

I am going to buy one of the mugs...brilliant.

louli Mon 23-Oct-17 09:45:46

Yes you are right - typos and autocorrect to add to our own misdemeanours