Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want a tattoo

(121 Posts)
Kacee Sat 04-Nov-17 11:45:41

I have over the last few months had the urge to get a tattoo. Just a small one on the inside of my wrist.

When I told my grown up daughters both of their responses were the same 'MOTHER' ( a term kept for when I want something they don't agree with) don't be so ridiculous.

I might add that they both have tattoos themselves al be it very discreet ones

My question is AIBU at 63 to want a small little tattoo

debsf1 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:35:32

It’s totally your decision, I had my first tattoo earlier this year for my 60th birthday. One of my daughters paid for it and was with me in the tattoo studio.

Bobbysgirl Sat 04-Nov-17 21:37:28

I have 3 tattoos - when I reached 50 it was part of my future plan - get tattoo, get hair dyed, and go to Glastonbury! I did all 3. I find the tattoos addictive - I have 3 more that I want, and I will get in due course. DH is quite up for it - as far as he is concerned it is my body so my choice.

Willow500 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:50:22

Just do it grin Life's too short to worry about what's right and wrong - if you want a tattoo get one! I have one at the base of my spine which was done about 15 years ago in my late 40's. Strangely my youngest son who had several at the time actually came into the salon as I was having it done (his then girlfriend worked there) and was horrified. I could only think it was because it was his mother in the chair! His wife hates them but my eldest son now has a lot (not visible unless he has a tee shirt on) and his wife and daughter both have them on their wrists. I too worry about the younger generation having full sleeves tattooed or their necks and lower legs - it's all very well when your skin is smooth and taught - quite another as it wrinkles and hangs loosely like mine does on my arms!

downsized Sat 04-Nov-17 22:03:24

Go for it! I had the same hankering as you and now have a lovely bumble bee on my tum, for no other reason than I have always liked bees, my name means 'honeybee', and life is too short to worry about what anyone else thinks.
Let us know when you've done it grin

Twobabes Sat 04-Nov-17 22:46:33

Have been given one for my 70th by much tattooed daughter. Wanted one for years, wasn’t brave enough but as the only undecorated one of the family felt envious. Am now joining husband, son and daughter!
Incidentally, she is in a well paid, responsible position close to the top of her profession, and her beautiful, very visible and quite large tattoos seem not to have hindered advancement.
Each to her own, I say!

NfkDumpling Sun 05-Nov-17 06:59:29

I wanted to get one for my 60th, but chickened out. Now my 70th is approaching and DiL has said she’ll come with me. I wanted a dragon fly on my shoulder, but having seen the birds ascending rather like them.

It’s just so permanent if I don’t like it. No going back. DH doesn’t answer when I ask his opinion, I think he thinks its a waste of money, but my decision. If I do go ahead, I’ll just get it done and see how long it takes for him to notice!

BBbevan Sun 05-Nov-17 07:02:29

I would love one. A tiny flower on my bum

Leticia Sun 05-Nov-17 07:47:27

I hate them at any age.

NanKate Sun 05-Nov-17 07:51:02

I really dislike tattoos and when I see older men with tattoos from their youth I wonder if they regret having them now,

However if it is something you really want why not go for it. Is there a halfway house where you could have a temporary design put on (like the Asian women have on their hands at weddings) to see if you really want something permanent ?

I have got to a stage in my life when I do what I want and don't care what others think. ?

Iam64 Sun 05-Nov-17 08:14:07

My parents advised us never to get tattoos, or have or ears pierced as it was 'common'. I got my ears done at 18 but never wanted a tattoo until earlier this year. I'm still considering a small Manchester Bee on the inside of my wrist.......

harrigran Sun 05-Nov-17 08:16:04

You do not need to permanently mark your skin, there are very realistic stick on pictures which can be bought very cheaply.

Riverwalk Sun 05-Nov-17 08:19:39

You should remind your daughters that one day they'll be 63 years-old, with tattoos!

Barmyoldbat Sun 05-Nov-17 08:25:30

Why put yourself through unnecessary pain?

Smithy Sun 05-Nov-17 09:41:37

What's the point of having a tattoo and then hiding it. I have a heart condition and was told (rather jokingly) not to have any tattoos or piercings. But seriously - why would ANY person want a tattoo? And it apparently hurts like hell to get it done, then goes all scabby and hurts some more - why would you? (nearly as puzzling as to why anyone voted leave) (sorry sorry couldn't resist)

Skweek1 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:45:17

If you want one, girls, go with it. I didn't have my ears pierced till my mid-20s and now I'm half seriusly thinking about a small tattoo, but not sure as don't cope with pain!

annifrance Sun 05-Nov-17 09:45:29

Loathe them, but OPs DDs reaction would have sent me to the nearest tattoo parlour!

MaggieMay69 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:46:44

I think they can look fantastic!! I saw a beautiful one on my friend the other week, and she is 73, and the colours were stunning! It was a tiny Hummingbird, and it was absolutely lovely.
Go for it! You have one life, live it how YOU want to! Don't regret not doing it!

grannytotwins Sun 05-Nov-17 09:48:30

My daughter wants to get me one for my 70th which is a couple of years away. My husband is horrified but I’m tempted! I was a pretty watercolour of lavender.

Jaycee5 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:49:24

I am not keen on them myself but it is your choice and your body. Sounds like a painful place to have one though.

lizzypopbottle Sun 05-Nov-17 10:03:18

I doubt if, on my deathbed, I'll express bitter regret that I never got a tattoo! My daughter has a tattoo on her forearm and dislikes it now. Her alternatives are to live with it, have very expensive laser treatment to remove it or have a redesign over the top of it to something she does like. I suspect she would quickly come to dislike that too. It's bound to be bigger after all.

If you're retired it won't be a problem for an employer. I've heard that if you work with the public, employers often require you to keep tattoos covered so think carefully where you'd have it if you're still working. I've also heard that it's best to keep them covered in job interviews. Apparently, potential employers often make negative judgements about candidates with tattoos.

If you Google 'remove tattoo' there are some graphic videos to see. One site I looked at began with the words, "So you're in the tattoo regret phase..." (My daughter is there!)

It might be best to try a good quality, temporary tattoo, placed where you and others can see it. Then you'll have a good idea of whether or not a permanent one is the way forward. Or decide on a waiting period, write on your calendar for six months time, tattoo? and see if you're still keen. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Lucy1958 Sun 05-Nov-17 10:05:24

Must admit I had a tattoo on the inside of my wrist back in May,its a nice one but as I deal with the public then I wear a thick strapped wristwatch to hide it in work.
If I had the choice again I would get a tattoo but not for one on show,I would of hid it where only I could see it.

Lilypops Sun 05-Nov-17 10:07:19

I teased my husband for years that I would have a tattoo, his face just said it all, he didn't approve one bit, One day I drew with a felt pen a rose climbing up my ankle, I just sat and waited for him too notice, a while later he did notice,, he said , you haven't have you , you know I don't like tattoos, he didn't speak to me for ages, He was so relieved when I washed it off, but it told me that he would never have liked it , ?

P3terpan Sun 05-Nov-17 10:07:30

I’ve always been against tattoos and told my children not to have one, however DD had one done recently and it’s lovely, very discreet. She wants us both to have a tiny one on our hand which, when we put our hand together will make an elephant heart, just a tiny one. I must admit I’m up for it and will probably do it with her. (I have pointed out that at some point she won’t have the other half, she says she will get her daughter, when she has one, to get it done)Go for it Jaycee

Candy1 Sun 05-Nov-17 10:07:31

DO IT - my husband hated tattoos with a vengeance !! I had always wanted a small dragonfly on my back, so some time after my husband passed I went ahead and had it done, I'm thrilled with it and being over 70 it's the one thing I've done for me - incidentally, my DD loves it and has one herself now !!

Coconut Sun 05-Nov-17 10:09:31

Personally I don’t like them at all and am into pleasure not pain ( my friend said it hurts like hell ).
However, we only live once and a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do !!