Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want a tattoo

(120 Posts)
Kacee Sat 04-Nov-17 11:45:41

I have over the last few months had the urge to get a tattoo. Just a small one on the inside of my wrist.

When I told my grown up daughters both of their responses were the same 'MOTHER' ( a term kept for when I want something they don't agree with) don't be so ridiculous.

I might add that they both have tattoos themselves al be it very discreet ones

My question is AIBU at 63 to want a small little tattoo

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 04-Nov-17 11:49:39

It's completely up to you! You could get one and see if they notice. wink

Scribbles Sat 04-Nov-17 12:10:04

Of course you're not BU! If you really want it, go for it and ignore the bossy daughters.

ninathenana Sat 04-Nov-17 12:15:24

If it makes you happy, why not.
It's nothing to do with your DDs

Oldwoman70 Sat 04-Nov-17 12:25:49

If you have thought about it and want it - why not. Did you voice objections when they decided to get tattoos - if you had no doubt they would have gone ahead anyway. You don't need their permission - go for it!

MawBroon Sat 04-Nov-17 12:38:09

Personal opinion?
Ghastly.
However. NONE OF MY BUSINESS

Out of interest - why?

Charleygirl Sat 04-Nov-17 12:41:37

I am afraid I agree wholeheartedly with Maw Broon.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 04-Nov-17 12:47:32

Funnily enough, after a life time of thinking tattoos are awful, I had a hankering to have a poignant phrase tattooed above my wrist. I asked my husband if this could be my birthday present this year. I had barely finished my sentence when he said 'No'. He wouldn't even discuss it other than saying tramp stamp! He's usually very easy going, so I binned the idea. I'm not sure if I would have actually done it tbh, but I do have a temporary one hidden away in case I get the urge again! grin

Kacee Sat 04-Nov-17 13:01:44

Wilma I'm the same as you, it just came into my head and now I can't shift it. Normally I don't like them on older people but ......!!!!!!

silverlining48 Sat 04-Nov-17 13:05:59

I too have always disliked tatoos, especially recently with whole arms, legs, backs etc are almost completely covered, but, but, yes; recently the thought has crept into my mInd too. Just something small....inconspicuous. not sure why.
Is it to shock my children, or just a way of staving off the thought that i am getting old. Who knows, but when i see a tatoo place i do get increasingly tempted.

MissAdventure Sat 04-Nov-17 13:07:30

Well, why not, if that's what you want? I think tattoos that people have put so much thought into are far better than ones done when young as a fashion statement.

MissAdventure Sat 04-Nov-17 13:11:16

Also, I think today, tattoos are like beautiful pieces of art; not the green think ink ones from years ago. They're incredibly intricate and the colours can be beautiful.

silverlining48 Sat 04-Nov-17 13:27:12

Next year i have a big birthday. So theres plenty of time to decide on the right tatoo, and where to put it , best to avoid the wrinkly bits.... food for thought. I expect i will chicken out as i dont like pain and i bet it hurts!

harrigran Sat 04-Nov-17 13:35:11

Agree with Maw, but if you do have one why not go the whole hog and have it
where it will annoy the hell out of your DDs.

kittylester Sat 04-Nov-17 13:35:40

Did any one see the footballer who had a tattoo on his arm and then had an injury to his leg and needed a skingraft? He now has half the tattoo on his leg!

Go for it if you want too - you're a long time dead.

Lazigirl Sat 04-Nov-17 13:48:22

I read that Judy Dench, for her 80th birthday had Carpe Diem tattooed on her wrist. Perfect eh?

MissAdventure Sat 04-Nov-17 13:55:59

My mums friend had spent her whole life rescuing cats, taking in the ones that even shelters wouldn't take. It had cost her all of her leisure time, and her wages each month, and she considered it worth every penny. For her 60th she had a tiny black cat, with green eyes tattood. Can't remember which part of her it was on though. Somewhere discreet.

yggdrasil Sat 04-Nov-17 16:01:25

I had one done earlier this year, having ummed and erred for a decade. It is a Romano-British serpent design, and I have had it done on my forearm so it will be seen :-)
I might do more.

rockgran Sat 04-Nov-17 16:11:51

Ditto Mawbroon - I don't find them attractive on anyone at any age but it is your choice.

Nelliemoser Sat 04-Nov-17 16:14:23

Never. I feel really heavy tattoes just make the skin look dirty.

mcem Sat 04-Nov-17 20:23:43

I'm with the no-no gang.
My DD and DGD have some and I have told them that I accept it's none of my business but made it very clear I utterly loathe them. I find nothing attractive about them. 2nd rate artwork and hideous colours! Not looking forward to seeing Dgd's ghastly arm appearing on her mum's wedding pic's. I know it will spoil the day for me but keep trying to remind myself that it's not my business ????

Beau Sat 04-Nov-17 20:56:24

I had one done for my 50th, it's above my shoulder blade and only shows if I wear a swimming costume. It didn't hurt although I understand some places on the body hurt more. I've never regretted it - every time I catch a glimpse of it in the bathroom mirror it makes me smile, because obviously I never see it otherwise ?

weny62 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:19:03

I have 4 all can be hidden if needed but apart from one on my back they are usually visible. If you want one have one it is your body, but i would suggest research the studios in your area most have FB pages with their work on display or speak to other people to see who they recommend.

wondergran Sat 04-Nov-17 21:20:48

Go for it ....you only live once!!

Anya Sat 04-Nov-17 21:26:56

Go for it. I have one on my wrist.