Gransnet forums

AIBU

Feeling a little uncomfortable about all this virtue signalling

(91 Posts)
GillT57 Thu 28-Dec-17 12:47:46

It could be me, being a bit pah humbug, but......on our local Facebook page, just before Christmas, there were many posts from people announcing that they had just cooked a big roast dinner which they were going take out and give to the homeless people living in our town. One woman was saying that she felt her daughter (8) was acting in a selfish manner and so she planned on taking her out to see all these poor people living in shop doorways to illustrate how lucky her daughter is, and they were going to be taking food and drink with them. These announcements were followed by the usual 'well done, hun' and 'oh, how kind' etc, etc. My thoughts are that the woman with the daughter was totally out of order; the people living on the streets are not characters in some Victorian morality play to be used to illustrate how fortunate some are. Also, why announce to the FB world that you are going to cook an enormous Xmas dinner and take it out on the streets? There are charities working away, quietly, and efficiently, every night of the week,every week of the year, not just at Christmas helping those who need it, and surely that last thing they need is people turning up with tons of ready cooked food which will likely end up being binned? Surely it is better to quietly donate to those charities who know who needs what and when, charities who don't want a lot of people taking photos of themselves being lady bountiful? I don't know if this makes me a grumpy old woman, but it really annoyed me.

NfkDumpling Sat 30-Dec-17 19:20:23

People who feel the need to brag on FB are needy themselves. Personally, I use it to keep in touch with a few close friends and my DD1 who lives three hours drive away. They share pictures of their children, places they’ve been and recommendations. One friend has just posted a picture of her new kittens. Details of lost dogs and missing persons are shared, and closed groups such as an on-line car boot sale are good. I follow a few groups like the History Geeks, which are very informative, and have gained through my Australian cousin a FB friend who I’ll never meet. FB is what you make it. Anyone who bragged about good deeds as in the OP would be quietly unfriended!

W11girl Sat 30-Dec-17 18:56:26

Quite agree with you GillT57. How very crass of these people. I see nothing charitable about it at all.

CrazyDaisy Sat 30-Dec-17 18:48:53

Like grandtanteJE65, I go by the Biblical saying, "Do your alms in private" although I'm not a Christian.

I agree with Gill about all the self praise looked for on Fb, though I do use it sometimes to see what my family has been doing. It seems that it's easier to post on Fb than pick up the phone and make a call.

NameChange2016 Sat 30-Dec-17 17:40:05

My mother had been ill for many years and most of the family friends and family members kept up with her news via email or Facebook. After she died we told the immediate family by phone but everyone else by Facebook.

We were all too exhausted by her long slow death to ring or email everyone individually. I am sorry if this disgusts people but that's what we had the energy to do!

M0nica Sat 30-Dec-17 16:52:57

My response to anyone loudly proclaiming all the good deeds they do is a saying my GM often used empty vessels make the most noise. In other words the more they proclaim their virtues the less I believe they are true.

How do we know this lady did what she claimed she did? Are there photos, film clips? I am sorry I suspect that the lady concerned did nothing of the kind.

Ruby41 Sat 30-Dec-17 16:40:40

Such a good post, radicalnan, a realistic picture of how things are for a change, not some romantic idea.

GabriellaG Sat 30-Dec-17 16:22:37

You're so right.

Bridgeit Sat 30-Dec-17 14:35:28

Ohhps meant Did NOT go about as etc

Bridgeit Sat 30-Dec-17 14:34:45

I do agree with OP, but sometimes the only way for young people to understand something is to have hands on experience , I guess it depends how they behaved , hopefully they had a bit of humility & did go about like lady bountifuls

IngeJones Sat 30-Dec-17 14:25:24

I agree with the OP

Humbertbear Sat 30-Dec-17 14:16:06

My GC Primary school gave each child a red felt stocking to decorate and fill with small presents for a homeless child. This made the children realise how lucky they are and also led to lots of conversations both in school and at home.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 30-Dec-17 13:59:11

I was brought up to believe that charity should be done quietly, the Gospel story about the Pharisee making a great fuss about giving alms was well and truly rammed down our throats both at home and at school.

I have no problem with a mother teaching her children that there are others less fortunate than them, but the thought of anyone taking an eight year old round town pointing out the homeless sleeping in doorways, I find quite offensive. They are human beings, not animals in a zoo, or exhibits in a museum and should be treated with respect.

radicalnan Sat 30-Dec-17 13:31:48

I started doing free Christmas meals 20 tears ago for elderly/lonely people it was a huge success but we moved house and I don't know if it continued. Since then I have seen this fetish with the homeless expand so that doing something showy is a bit like going to a panto, part of what makes people feel good at Christmas. All about them!

Last year in Glastonbury we served 250 people free meals, had some complaints that the carrots weren't done and refusals of gifts, once opened as not what they wanted.

Beautiful hand knitted scarves, hats and gloves also refused.

The pub opposite the town hall also laid on meals and gifts, people went from us over the road to see what they could get for free. We had a table for people who wanted to bring their dogs.

It has become obscene and people who think that their children are learning to be kinder etc are foolish, if your child is not kind every day, making it part of the Christmas must do list won't work.

A good many people are homeless from choice, they will not begave at home or in hostels. The prefer to be drunk or drugged than to be in a safe warm place, they often have loving families who have tried EVERYTHING to help them.

We are generating a need for us to fulfil because it makes us feel better. Really the answer to the problems of poverty, addiction and bloody bad behaviour are not to send ' a small boy for the biggest turkey in the shop, some of those people regard us as mugs and will be drifting about causing social chaos wherever they go because they do not want to change.

Over 40 years I have taken in many homeless people, one is now serving 17 tears for murder. Most repaid me with kindness, some changed.

People have to be at rock bottom before they start to work towards change, every warm coat and free meal counters that.

Before Christmas a woman arrived here in town claiming to be on 'the wrong coach' to her mother''s funeral in Glasgow, it was truly freezing out, she gave us some story about domestic violence at home, no money no place to go. I paid for her to go to B&B and for her evening meal, she spent a week with various people funding her jaunt, then went back to London where she suddenly remembered she had friends and support.

We never heard any more about her dead mother in Glashow.

Proceed with caution.

pollyperkins Sat 30-Dec-17 13:12:54

I like fb for keeping in touch with family far away, but I do get irritated with a few 'friends' who frequently post pictures of their culinary efforts - cakes, puddings and even the christmas turkey , and go on to say how delicious it was!!!!

princesspamma Sat 30-Dec-17 13:11:38

I have always felt that whatever one does to try to help - however small- or large-scale, be it giving a hand to a friend, or doing voluntary work every spare hour, whatever you do.....you do it to help, not to make yourself feel good. And you certainly don't announce it to the world, because for me that cancels it out, makes it only a gesture intended to be noticed and applauded.

SiobhanSharpe Sat 30-Dec-17 13:11:38

BIIIG pinches of salt to be taken when reading FB posts, not only the virtue signalling ones but also 'my life is brilliant' etc. These are in all probability if not fake then certainly airbrushed but I have seen they can cause upset and distress to people who may be struggling. Facebook is not real life.
(But I do like funny animals stuff)

MissAdventure Sat 30-Dec-17 12:52:55

It really, really unsettles me that people can be so narcissistic, given the right means and audience.

inishowen Sat 30-Dec-17 12:49:55

On Christmas Day a local woman was murdered. Her daughter immediately went on to fb to pay a tribute to her. Many people commented that fb was the last place you'd want to be when your mum had been stabbed.

minxie Sat 30-Dec-17 12:47:07

I can’t stand it when people announce a death on social media or an anniversary of a death .its just attention seeking as far as I can see. Such as ‘at 3am this morning my wife died and I and beyond devastated’ not that devastated that you can even think of going on Fb to announce it. It makes me grind my teeth

DS64till Sat 30-Dec-17 12:41:03

I totally agree with a lot of what u have said. However I Facebook what I do as a lot of my friends donate items to whatever Charity thing I’m involved in and sometimes it’s a good idea to remind people as they firget

Aepgirl Sat 30-Dec-17 12:28:23

Blowing their own trumpet! I have more time for people who show small acts of kindness without announcing it to the world.

harrigran Sat 30-Dec-17 09:08:47

People posting on FB that they have just eaten at a new establishment and the food is out of this world. I have then booked a table and been disappointed to find it is yet more bog standard pub food.
Photos are not just liked but they become " wow incredible " and even "stonking" confused

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 30-Dec-17 00:52:33

Or a glass of wine/beer. tchhmm

paddyann Sat 30-Dec-17 00:42:30

I use FB to keep in touch with family abroad ,other than that I have a couple of political forums ,anything else I deleted last year .I check it for a few minutes daily and switch it off.I've seen enough dinners and "stunning" photo's to last me a lifetime...when in reality theres nothing stunning about them..just boosting other peoples ego's even the most ordinary plate of food becomes the 8th wonder of the world...lol

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 29-Dec-17 23:44:54

I came off FB for a while because I couldn't stand the 'look at me' culture. It was good for keeping up with what family and friends I don't see much were up to, but sometimes it felt like I was snooping. In the end I started again because I wanted to enter a GN competition that was only through FB. This time though I locked down my account to make it as private as possible. I did a lot of housekeeping and unfriended people I really had no interest in and cleared out my profile too. That was in case there was a data breach in the future. Even now I have to keep on top of the posts that seep through and unsubscribe from the sender. Unfortunately FB does not give you the option to opt out of absolutely everything, but I'm trying to keep it simple. It has its uses, but it's a blight on many lives.