Gransnet forums

AIBU

Parole of rapist

(59 Posts)
Esspee Fri 05-Jan-18 08:39:36

As castration is unfortunately not allowed could the police not simply charge him for some of the other rapes which only came to light after he was convicted. Perhaps 5 charges then when he is due for parole again bring another batch of charges. In that way the public could be protected indefinitely.
How could the parole board allow this monster to be freed after what he has done?

sunseeker Fri 05-Jan-18 08:53:39

If (or when) he reoffends perhaps those voting in favour of his release should be charged with aiding and abetting - if that happened I doubt so many dangerous prisoners would be released.

Iam64 Fri 05-Jan-18 09:06:16

I cannot understand how this man can be deemed safe to release. His meticulous planning and obsession with rape is part of his personality. He attempted to appeal his sentence and seems to minimise and deny his behaviour. We all know the prisons are over full but releasing people like this man won't solve that problem. We need to imprison less people and save prisons for individuals like this, whose crimes are horrific and whose behaviour patterns are well established.

This week saw the conviction of a man who killed his third female partner at the point she called an end to their relationship.

I don't agree with the comment about castration, not least because it's been tried and found wanting. I'd be interested to see the psychiatric and probation reports that presumably persuaded the Parole board this man is safe for release. I expect he has a diagnosis that includes 'psychopath'. How does that fit with release 9 years into an indeterminate sentence, with a minimum of 8 years?

Luckygirl Fri 05-Jan-18 09:09:04

This beggars belief. There is nothing about it that makes any sense.

glammanana Fri 05-Jan-18 09:35:37

No doubt when this man re-offends and he surely will we will be subjected to another Official Enquiry taking years to compile and costing massive amounts of money,

Luckygirl Fri 05-Jan-18 09:48:51

"lessons will be learned" - or not as it would seem.

vampirequeen Fri 05-Jan-18 10:00:08

I agree he should now be charged and tried for another of the rapes he is believed to have committed.

TerriBull Fri 05-Jan-18 10:10:38

Inconceivable that such a serious offender should even be considered for parole so soon, the trial really wasn't that long ago, that together with all the question mark hanging over possible other crimes he may well have committed.

TerriBull Fri 05-Jan-18 10:11:18

marks

Squiffy Fri 05-Jan-18 10:19:40

It also begs the question, how many others like him, but less well publicised, are already 'out there'?

It appears that some of his victims were not told in advance that he was to be released. Bad enough for those who did know, but can you imagine how the others felt when they only learned about it through the media?

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Jan-18 13:49:07

This case is about far far more than the decision of the parole board or the sentence he was given. The Met come out of this appallingly - earlier victims went to the police and were ‘laughed at’. An investigation by them later on was completely bungled, evidencelost/compromised. As a result at least 7 more women were attacked before he was finally charged. Then when other cases came forward for reasons we know not yet the police either didn’t investigate and pass them onto the CPS and/or the CPS decided not to prosecute.When the case came to court,the judge sentenced as per the guidelines. No one,quite rightly, can be punished for offences of which they have not been found guilty. Equally,the parole board can only look at what he was actually convicted of. But it gets worse, two victims sued the Met under the HRA for their appalling investigation - the victims won, the police appealed, the victims won and the Met have now appealed to the Supreme Court all at our expense. This case could be a case study of much that is wrong in the CJS

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Jan-18 13:50:12

As for the probation service supervising him once he’s released, I take it we all know how deprived of resources that service now is?

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Jan-18 14:12:25

Apologies - judge did not sentence as per guidelines as no guidelines in place then but AG did not appeal the sentence ( which was apparently for 16 years) so the assumption was that the prosecution thought the sentence adequate ( whether they were right or wrong is of course another issue). Worboys was also a case where the police went public before he was charged which then led to evidence coming forward that resulted in his being charged. Were that not allowed, as some people believe should be the case, who knows how many more young women he would have raped/ attacked?

eazybee Fri 05-Jan-18 14:33:00

Please:
CPS: Crown Prosecution service
CJS: ?
HRA ?
AG ?

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Jan-18 14:42:02

Criminal justice system, human rights act, attorney general

Anniebach Fri 05-Jan-18 15:12:52

Have the police closed the files on the many they think he may have assaulted !

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Jan-18 15:26:26

I don’t know about closing files but I do rather think that files can be re-opened - I suppose it would depend on what is in the files and whether it would be sufficient to lead to fresh charges. One of the reasons he was onl6 charged with one rape is that by druggingthem and using a condom, the women generally had no memory of the rape and generally there was no DNA except I think two cases.

Jalima1108 Fri 05-Jan-18 15:27:54

I don't know, but it is surely not to late to prosecute if there are still cases on file.

Jalima1108 Fri 05-Jan-18 15:29:32

It is never too late and if there is any evidence still being held, then DNA techniques are so much more advanced now.

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Jan-18 15:37:27

Thank goodness that unlike USA we don’t have a statute of limitations but the state can only prosecute if there is enough evidence.

Fennel Fri 05-Jan-18 16:18:46

I should imagine everyone will have his face fixed in their mind, and he won't find it easy to settle anywhere.
I watched a tv programme some tme ago about a prison for sex offenders somewhere in the USA. It was bulging at the seams with prisoners who didn't dare go out when their sentence was completed.

glammanana Fri 05-Jan-18 16:22:26

Does anyone think that the Authorities supervising him when (if) he is released that he will be monitored every minute have we got the manpower to do this I think not !!
It is very frightening in deed and I for one would hate him to be released into a community near to me or my family or into any area if the truth be known.

Jalima1108 Fri 05-Jan-18 16:23:52

I hope they don't give him a new identity - that would be a very dangerous thing to do and I think there would be even more of a public outcry.

Luckygirl Fri 05-Jan-18 16:33:52

New identity, safe house, protection - all will cost a fortune. I know that prison is expensive, but at least women are safe with him there.

I hope that the justification for this decision will be made public.

Maggiemaybe Fri 05-Jan-18 17:06:13

He almost certainly will get a new identity, and could then turn up anywhere. A comforting thought, isn't it?