Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gransnet makes me feel lonely

(163 Posts)
jamsidedown Thu 18-Jan-18 22:57:52

I am a long time lurker. I have posted the odd comment in the past but have never really been able to join in. I have even put up a thread to which I have had no replies to. I recognise many of the user names which keep cropping up, you all seem so familiar with each other. It feels like one of those groups at school which you were never invited to, and always being the last to be picked for games. Gransnet just makes me feel more lonely. Does anyone else feel like this?

loopyloo Sat 03-Feb-18 13:20:40

Nellie, sorry you feel so low. Is it anything you can talk about? Are you able to get out for a walk?

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Feb-18 13:31:18

I was once very upbeat on here.
Yes, you were Nelliemoser

I hope the cloud that is pressing on you lifts soon

flowers

Ellie Anne Sat 03-Feb-18 16:38:59

I agree with you jamside. I often feel everyone else knows each other.but I find some of the discussions interesting. I did ask a question once about a medical issue and one of the responses made me feel so bad I have kept a very low profile since.

Charleygirl Sat 03-Feb-18 17:00:48

Ellie Anne did you let that person know?

BlueBelle Sat 03-Feb-18 17:34:46

There is a welcome thread toolodtobeamum

Ellie Anne Sat 03-Feb-18 18:48:14

No Charley girl . I felt l’d been told off!

kittylester Sat 03-Feb-18 19:14:23

Nellie, I understand some of the things that might be making you feel down. Please pm me with a rant if it helps get it off your chest. I'm happy to listen.

Marydoll Sat 03-Feb-18 19:30:23

Ellie Anne, I'm sorry you feel like that. I too was a bit wary at first, because some people seem have been here for ever and I thought I was an interloper.
I steer clear of the contentious threads, I have enough stress in my life without adding to it. grin
What helped me initially was dipping a toe in the games and having a bit of fun, you then get to know people a bit better. Have a go, don't be put off by one nasty poster. Most of us are actually quite nice. smile.

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Feb-18 19:57:12

I'm always being told off Ellie Anne don't let it put you off.

Just think - it's you, not me.

Anniebach Sat 03-Feb-18 20:09:15

Ellie Anne, please don't give up, you will be glad you didn't I promise x

nanny2507 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:37:32

jamsidedown i have no friends. i am very much alone. I am a very private person due to many years of being bi-polar. People just cant cope. I lurk too. I have posted a couple of times and you just have to bite the bullet and jump in. the more you do the more people will reconise you and the more they will get used to you.

icanhandthemback Fri 09-Feb-18 21:06:38

Jamsidedown, I think we all seem to feel the same when we first join. I have started to chuckle now when I kill a thread, before I wanted to cry.