Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU coats on chair-backs

(110 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 29-Jan-18 13:08:39

AIBU to be annoyed when family and friends hang march straight past the hall cupboard and coat hooks and hang their outdoor clothes on the straight backed kitchen chairs?

To me it looks untidy and is quite unnecessary as there is room in the cupboard for coats or jackets that should be on hangers and pegs for the more casual garments to be hung up on.

I'm talking of dry outdoor garments, not things soaked through by the rain!

Neither my requests to use the coat-pegs, nor my just removing garments to the "right" place are taken any notice of.

Anyone else with the same problem?

Willow500 Mon 29-Jan-18 17:59:07

We don't have coat hooks, a newel post or hall cupboard so everything gets thrown on the stairs - it drives me mad as I always take my coat and shoes upstairs and put them away. Normally my husband hangs his coat on the back of the dining chair which is very annoying. We do have coat hooks and a shoe cupboard in the passage between the kitchen and garage but no one uses the door to it so there's only me who hangs his coat up or puts his shoes away. When my family left after 6 weeks it was the one thing I didn't miss - all the shoes piled in the hall and clothes on the stairs - they never put anything away! Do miss them though sad

Tegan2 Mon 29-Jan-18 18:08:30

Isn't that what 'newel' posts are for [?]....I'd love one on my staircase [by the way, I didn't know they were called 'newel' posts]. The S.O. has on in Northumberland and I always put my coat and bag there [ignoring the coat stand next to it blush]...

glammanana Mon 29-Jan-18 18:32:38

I've always taken visitors coats at the door when they arrive if they are staying for a while,now I put them on the bed as we are in a bungalow but when we lived in the family house they where hung on pegs under the stairs with a beaded curtain in front to hide them from view.
I dislike seeing coats hung in a hall unless it has a built in cupboard as a hallway should imo be as tidy as the rest of your home,but then again I am so fussy about appearance
lol.

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Jan-18 19:19:02

I'd say most GN threads are about first world problems, seeing as that's where we live. smile

We haven't got a newel post, our coat rack is down in the cellar, and DH always chooses to drape his coat, and scarf, and hat, round my chair in the kitchen when he comes in (and sticks his shoes under it, I might add). Unless, of course, my gimlet stare gets to him first.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 29-Jan-18 19:40:30

I think you may have been too literal in it's meanings Maggiemaybe.

First World problems: relatively trivial or minor problem or frustration (implying a contrast with serious problems such as those that may be experienced in the developing world).

Bellanonna Mon 29-Jan-18 19:46:42

I put mine on the newel post and then (sometimes) hang it up. Visitors usually put theirs there too. Cant see the problem.

DanniRae Mon 29-Jan-18 19:59:09

My worry is when visitors take their shoes off - we don't - and I haven't got round to hoovering they end up with furry socks (from the dog).
Me lazy - Never!! smile
Oh, and they can put their coats where ever they like I'm just pleased to have people over.

Bridgeit Mon 29-Jan-18 20:23:05

Why are some of you being so harsh about OP, ? Gransnet & our opinions on any subject are just as unimportant in the grand scheme of things , some are lighthearted some are not, why target this lovely lighthearted thread from GrandtanteJE65.

Bathsheba Mon 29-Jan-18 20:28:24

We're not 'targeting' her Bridgeit, we're answering her question, which was "AIBU to be annoyed etc...."
If you ask a direct question on the AIBU forum, then you must expect to have some dissent. I think, as do some others, that it is unreasonable to be annoyed by this. Others agree with her and would be equally annoyed. That's how the AIBU forum works smile

Bathsheba Mon 29-Jan-18 20:29:20

Sorry, you didn't say we were targeting GrandtanteJE56, but targeting her thread. Oh for an edit button!

Bridgeit Mon 29-Jan-18 20:40:18

AIBU to expect people to be reasonable,?IMHO the OP was a lighthearted thread, & didn’t warrant being told that it was unimportant compared to World wide issues, well that goes for all of us surely,being on a site called Gransnet giving our opinions on all sorts of trivia!

NanaNancy Mon 29-Jan-18 20:43:46

As the song says, "Let It Go..."..
I have 5 hooks at the front door, the GC's pitch shoes all around, only coats on hooks are mine and the very small GC's who I hang up... AND no one puts anything in the cupboard.
I say pick your fights and this is not one...

MawBroon Mon 29-Jan-18 20:45:25

This is clearly a serious situation and as they say on the Beeb, if anyone has been affected by this, they should seek help. A helpline fir instance?

MissAdventure Mon 29-Jan-18 21:01:08

Anyone affected should phone the 'Coats Unfettered Not Tidy' helpline.
That the 'C.U.N..... on second thoughts.. wink

Bridgeit Mon 29-Jan-18 21:06:04

Lol?not a good set of abbreviations, but can imagine OP calling in C U N * squad,

lemongrove Mon 29-Jan-18 21:12:18

Or the scattered shoes ,hats, and gloves ‘SHAG’ ?

lemongrove Mon 29-Jan-18 21:14:32

Who will be first to ring the hotline?

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Jan-18 21:26:54

*I think you may have been too literal in it's meanings Maggiemaybe.

First World problems: relatively trivial or minor problem or frustration (implying a contrast with serious problems such as those that may be experienced in the developing world).*

GracesGranMK2, I'm genuinely at a loss as to whether you're striving to be amusing here, or whether you simply are as patronising as you appear. No apostrophe in it's, btw.

Bridgeit Mon 29-Jan-18 21:27:33

Tidy Wayard Atire Team, (will leave you to work it out)?

JoyBloggs Mon 29-Jan-18 21:35:02

As DH beat me to the newel post today with his jacket, mine is on the back of one of the dining room chairs right now... Am I bovver'd? No!

I would never be upset about where visitors put their coats, I'd just quietly move them if they were in my way and be glad that people visited and felt 'at home' here rather than them getting the feeling they were making the place untidy.

petra Mon 29-Jan-18 22:06:35

Maggiemaybe grin grin grin

Jalima1108 Mon 29-Jan-18 23:17:23

DH gets annoyed if I put my coat on the newel post.
Funny really, because he's not that tidy.

Jalima1108 Mon 29-Jan-18 23:21:10

My DC used to rush in from school and hang their coats up on the floor.

I usually had to yell call them back nicely to come and hang them up.
I wouldn't dare do the same in any of their houses grin

Elrel Mon 29-Jan-18 23:27:24

Tegan - I like your SO's hallstand!

Jalima1108 Mon 29-Jan-18 23:31:15

My MIL had one that style that Tegan but hers was very old - is yours a modern version or an old one refurbished?
I wish we'd kept MIL's but our hall is the wrong shape for one.