Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU coats on chair-backs

(110 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 29-Jan-18 13:08:39

AIBU to be annoyed when family and friends hang march straight past the hall cupboard and coat hooks and hang their outdoor clothes on the straight backed kitchen chairs?

To me it looks untidy and is quite unnecessary as there is room in the cupboard for coats or jackets that should be on hangers and pegs for the more casual garments to be hung up on.

I'm talking of dry outdoor garments, not things soaked through by the rain!

Neither my requests to use the coat-pegs, nor my just removing garments to the "right" place are taken any notice of.

Anyone else with the same problem?

Tegan2 Mon 29-Jan-18 23:37:57

When the S.O. sold his flat in Northumberland and bought a little house, we had to furnish it from charity shops etc. I knew exactly what I wanted in the hall but never thought I'd find it. We went to an auction house and they said they hadn't got what we wanted; then I noticed the hallstand in another room. They said it was going up for auction that Saturday, so we bid for it and got it for @ £35. The S.O. said he'd never been so nervous in his life! It was even the right colour! I love it so much. In fact, I love the house so much that, when I come back to my own house I feel miserable sad. Everything we needed we found at charity shops and auction rooms, and did the whole house on the tightest of budgets.

DanniRae Tue 30-Jan-18 09:26:34

Oh MissAdventure you really made laugh with your C.U.N............. post. So funny - thank you!! grin

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jan-18 09:30:26

smile
Oh good! Glad you enjoyed a bit of silliness.

kittylester Tue 30-Jan-18 10:57:57

I hate clothes on chair backs in the kitchen as I worry about cooking smells! Yuck.

Our hall doesn't have stairs, they are in the dining room, but we do have a desk and swivel chair there - the chair gets covered!! We have rail in an alcove near the front door and there is a shoe basket underneath but why use those when there is a handy swivel chair. confused

GrandmaMoira Tue 30-Jan-18 11:33:22

I don't have any coat hooks and we put our coats on the newel post which is a nuisance in a narrow hall. What annoys me is that my son who stays every weekend puts his coat on the sofa so it's in the way when anyone wants to sit down.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 11:41:56

I do wonder why so many people are so easily annoyed. It can't be much fun.

Atqui Tue 30-Jan-18 11:50:59

Perhaps there should be a forum entitled "Just out of interest does anyone else find this annoying?" I expect the OP has enough space in her head for more serious worries too!

Atqui Tue 30-Jan-18 11:54:54

It must be wonderful for those people who are so laid back that nothing trivial irritates them

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:12:10

People matter more than things in my world Atqui. And I have more to worry about concerning those people than where they put their coats. As others have said, I am happy to see them and, to be honest, if their coat is annoying me I can move it. Totally over the top reactions I leave for totally over the top situations.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:21:21

Just so you can all get heated about something else - I don't make people take their shoes off either. I find that rather rude but it probably isn't.

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jan-18 12:23:34

I don't think anyone is getting heated or over the top. Its just a chat, with different views being exchanged.

DanniRae Tue 30-Jan-18 13:03:18

I previously said that we don't expect visitors to remove their shoes HOWEVER we are about to have a new living room carpet fitted. Things may change - for a few weeks anyway!

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 14:04:01

Perhaps it would have been better in 'Chat' MissAdvenure with a title such as Atqui suggested. The fact that 'Am I being unreasonable' is such a closed question starts it off as a bit of a challenge doesn't it? It seems to imply a yes or no answer.

I think, if you are asking as a world issue whether minding about where a guest puts their coat is unreasonable the answer is yes. If you are asking if anyone else feels equally unreasonable about the little things in life that answer will probably be yes too smile

Atqui Tue 30-Jan-18 14:04:50

Not getting heated GG. Just wanted to suggest that caring about people and getting annoyed by trivial things are not mutually exclusive.

Alexa Tue 30-Jan-18 16:10:27

In my house the best casual coat park is the stair gate.

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Jan-18 16:20:08

Bearing in mind this thread, I came home today and went straight upstairs and put my coat on a coathanger and put it away in the upstairs cupboard.
[smug]
However, I did sling my outdoor shoes somewhere, now where are they?

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 16:22:25

Jalima grin

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Jan-18 16:28:04

When DH trips over them I'll know where they are.

callgirl1 Tue 30-Jan-18 23:30:10

We don`t have a cloakroom, a hall, or a newel post. Visitors tend to plonk their coats near to where they`re sitting. Me? Until I go upstairs, I fold my coat up and put it with my shoes on the floor at the far end of the settee, where they can`t be seen.

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jan-18 23:33:30

I have a pretty coat rack in the hall, with little boxes on the top and wrought iron hooks.
You can't see much of it though, because its covered in coats, jackets, bags, scarves. (and I still hang my coat over the chair back)

Blencathra Wed 31-Jan-18 06:27:55

It isn't something that would bother me. Since it does I would just pick them up saying ' I'll do something with you coats' , without giving them chance to say anything, and put them in the cupboard.

loopyloo Wed 31-Jan-18 07:02:05

I do think that there should be some hooks on the wall near the front door so people can hang coats up. It winds me up that at my daughter's house we have to put coats over the bannisters.
Only a detail but all part of leading an organised life.

Anniebach Wed 31-Jan-18 10:12:04

Would like visitors, couldn't care less where they put the coats

radicalnan Wed 31-Jan-18 10:16:48

Oh dear, another small problem rearing its head.

Be glad you have visitors.

My tiny house is full of my shawals and cardies etc so wherever I sit I can snuggle myself up, make a cuddle up place for a GC, hide the dog from thunder storms.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 31-Jan-18 10:42:59

It's not just visitors it's family too.

I agree there are more important problems in the world, but it bugs me.

I don't lead a particularly stress free life, but I do belong to the minority on this forum who likes a tidy house.

Sorry if it offends you that some of us are old-fashioned regarding our surroundings.