Gransnet forums

AIBU

Nursery Fees...20% off with the Tax free childcare account.

(45 Posts)
bikergran Fri 23-Feb-18 08:20:54

I've have glanced at it over time but not really took any notice of it.

But now my GS has turned 3 and entitiled to free hours..my dd has recently only found out about the Gov Tax Free childcare scheme.
I never really understood it.
If you put in £100 in this chilcare account the Gov will put in 20%.
I think there is a limit as to what you can put in the account each month.

My dd has lost few £100 by not looking into this prior.
The nursery made not attempt to tell her about this which I find unhelpful.

So thought I would bring the subject up and let other grans know just in case.

gillybob Fri 23-Feb-18 08:25:42

Where did you find this information bikergran ? My DD will have to go back to work quite soon after her baby is born sadly and I can only do 2 days childcare ( as I do for the other 3) so will be forced to use very expensive nursery. I sometimes wonder if a lot of young mums simply work just to pay the feees I know my DD won’t be much better off working sad

eazybee Fri 23-Feb-18 08:26:56

For goodness sake!
It has been all over the press and the media.
If your daughter can't be bothered to find out then that is her problem.

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 23-Feb-18 08:29:16

Bit harsh eazybee

gillybob Fri 23-Feb-18 08:33:19

My DD won’t have a clue about it eazybee . She’s vety unexpectedly almost 7 months pregnant after being told she would never have children. She works full time, long commute each way and horrible shifts too. Thank you anyway .

kittylester Fri 23-Feb-18 08:43:26

gilly sunshine

Maggiemaybe Fri 23-Feb-18 08:50:35

Thanks for the information, bikergran. I’ve never heard of this, and will run it past my DD and DDIL.

We’re not all as perfect as eazybee. grin

Maggiemaybe Fri 23-Feb-18 08:54:53

The link, in case any other numbskulls need it:
www.gov.uk/government/news/tax-free-childcare-10-things-parents-should-know

gillybob Fri 23-Feb-18 08:59:32

Thank you Maggiemaybe I will pass it on to my “numbskull” daughter when she gets in from her 13 hour working day ! wink

Auntieflo Fri 23-Feb-18 09:13:55

Eazybee, that was unwarranted. I hope you had all your wits about you, all the time, when you were pregnant.

glammanana Fri 23-Feb-18 09:37:49

Thanks for the information Biker my GGD goes to nursey this year and her full time working mum just may not have kept her eye on all the new Government News it must be great to be on top of things all the time and be a perfectionist on such topics.

trisher Fri 23-Feb-18 10:05:26

I hope my DIL knows about this, but knowing the nightmare that claiming the free hours has been she may well have overlooked it. I shall send her the link. It must be nice in eazybee's world where everyone knows about everything and remembers to do things!

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Feb-18 10:09:12

In defence of eazybee - It's not easy to be perfect. Have a brew eazybee

gillybob Fri 23-Feb-18 10:12:03

It mustn’t be Jalima you must always have to be on top of everything ! smile

bikergran Fri 23-Feb-18 11:35:01

one sec soz had to go out will..have a look at the info dd sent
me..

bikergran Fri 23-Feb-18 11:39:57

Tax Free Chikdcare
You can get up to £500 EVERY 3 MONTHS. (£2,000) for eachbof your children to help with the cost of childcare.

If you get Tax Free Childcare the government will pay £2 for every £8 you pay your childcare provider "via" on line account..
You can use it to pay for APPROVED CHILDCARE

You have to register as in registering your child for the initial free hours...
Sorry thats what my dd sent in txt im dashing off now as got Hospital app but will pop back later...

bikergran Fri 23-Feb-18 11:43:36

Well "eazybee" maybe you could enlighten us all !! in case we have missed anything!! did you also know about the help with gas and electric via the WARM FRONT scheme!! well maybe you do ....but lots of others don't.

Hence its people like me that once I know about these schemes then I put on GN for those who perhaps are not familiar with what we can claim to help . smile

catch ya later all............... smile

bikergran Fri 23-Feb-18 11:46:38

thankyou "Maggie" I will also pass that on to my NUMBSKULL OF dd who has a degree and works in mental health ...looking after those that are not capable....
How on earth could she have missed this freeby!
Shame on her..maybe she was just soooooooo busy looking after her 2 children/working/helping me/and being a single parent at the mo....tut

bikergran Fri 23-Feb-18 11:54:00

I can now see it was tongue in cheek!

gillybob Fri 23-Feb-18 12:05:29

Thank you posting this on GN Bikergran I had never heard of this and suspect DD ( my own numbskull ) will not have heard of it either .

I know Maggies post was meant tongue in cheek, pity about the earlier one though.

Thank you again smile

bikergran Fri 23-Feb-18 12:20:21

smile hope it may help..... smile

ta raaaaaa........

Maggiemaybe Fri 23-Feb-18 14:00:54

I'll have to get that tongue out of my cheek - I've got a very dry sense of humour and even my DH of 40+ years regularly misses the fact that I'm joking. grin

You've helped my lot anyway, bikergran - I passed the info on to DD2 who goes back to work soon after mat leave. She did know about it but it's reminded her to register!

bikergran Fri 23-Feb-18 14:27:31

smile

janeainsworth Fri 23-Feb-18 17:28:15

Thanks for the link maggie. I’ve just forwarded it to DD. I’m pretty sure she’s sufficiently clueless not to have noticed it either wink

janeainsworth Fri 23-Feb-18 17:29:18

And thank you too biker for starting the thread