Gransnet forums

AIBU

Husband going away with friends

(77 Posts)
alovelycupofteaa Mon 02-Apr-18 10:48:47

I am 55, my husband is 59, and both children are grown-up and living away from home. My husband still works and has 5 weeks’ annual holiday allowance- we usually have a week’s holiday in Cornwall in the spring, and 10 days or so in the summer - again Cornwall, for the past 3 years. He then uses a week or so up going to cricket, playing golf etc, & going on an annual walking long weekend with his 2 best friends. 3 years ago one of the friends retired, & suggested a week’s joint skiing holiday for him & my husband, both keen skiers. I don’t ski, so didn’t go as it is an expensive holiday for a non-skier, and I have spent several ski holidays getting bored in the village/hotel on my own whilst my husband and children ski. Since then, it seems to have been assumed that this will be an annual thing for them, and it is only a case of deciding when and where they go, not if.
My issue is that, now I am free from most maternal duties and could travel more with my husband, as we have always talked about, we are now being time-limited by the week he spends with his friend, leaving us only 3 weeks in total throughout the year to go away together. I totally get that he loves his skiing and wants to go, but I am really starting to resent the fact that he now assumes every year he will spend a week with his friend, and then says to me “ we can’t do X, I haven’t got the holiday left”. But I do know I am lucky to get 2 other holidays a year with him, so AIBU?!

jura2 Tue 10-Apr-18 12:24:58

I've always gone away with friends- and so has he. We totally trust each other- and I think it is very healthy to have different interests, etc, rather than be constantly velcroed at the hip.

Why don't you arrange a trip with a friend or 2, or a daughter, dil - whomever- where you've always fancied going (doesn't have to be far, or expensive) and do something you've always wanted to do - be it a spa, or painting- or nothing at all.