Gransnet forums

AIBU

Own it ? !

(81 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 04-Apr-18 11:44:26

Tell me I am not alone in hating the new term ‘Own IT’
Just heard-it again on Breakfast TV.
So for those not in the know,this phrase is applied to every emotion, action, decision we express-
Example: I might say to a friend, I’m going to join a fitness class

The reply in new speak would be along the lines of
wow you go girl:- You Own It.

I want to shout ,No I Own my house , car , clothes whatever not words in a conversation grhhh!

felice Wed 04-Apr-18 12:05:58

We need a like button, it really annoys me, and all the other pseudo speak.
I had a quick meeting with a young lad from the Parliament a couple of weeks ago, I got about one sentence in 5, I needed a translator.[confused ]

mollie Thu 05-Apr-18 09:24:53

I hated ‘sick’ being hijacked to mean brilliant and cool. Yuk. Don’t hear it these days so perhaps it’s fallen out of fashion. Or I have! Lol!

I really hate ‘absolutely’ when a simple ‘yes’ will do. What happened to plain and simple English?

Horatia Thu 05-Apr-18 09:44:13

I don't like when people say they sat someone down before telling them this, that or the other. No conversation of any value can take place without being in the sitting position first.

Situpstraight Thu 05-Apr-18 09:50:57

The word ‘ Awesome’ drives me crazy, it seems to be an everyday word in the USA and is used normally to describe something that is not awesome at all , just nice or sometimes wonderful.

Actually I suppose that being full of wonder is the same as being full of awe......... maybe it’s just me being in a bad mood then.

maddyone Thu 05-Apr-18 10:21:21

When I was teaching we had do rewrite policies regularly, rewrite our planning regularly, and formulate changes to all and everything in the school regularly; the rationale regularly quoted by the visiting ‘advisers’ was it should be done so we would ‘own’ it. We owned all the hours of work it took too!

rockgran Thu 05-Apr-18 10:22:34

There are always some words and phrases that are fashionable and done to death. When I was young everything was "fab" or "super". Then there was "wicked", "amazing" and "stunning" ..and I still quite like "redonculous" and "....that is SO not happening..."

Teetime Thu 05-Apr-18 10:25:15

Ridiculous saying 'own it'.

spyder08 Thu 05-Apr-18 10:32:18

Yes Bridgeit it annoys me too. One of the latest things to fall into this annoying category (and believe me there are far too many to mention here) is the word MAHOOSIVE used in a well known travel company advert on the tv.
Apparently we can go mahoosive on an all inclusive!!
Can we indeed...I need a lie down!

fourormore Thu 05-Apr-18 10:40:49

All these silly words just irritate don't they! smile
People who find 'windows' in their diaries!
Like other posters have said - 'own it' 'absolutely' etc. all grate for some reason, even though, as Rockgran says - we had 'fab' - and 'charming' was another we used to use!
Does anyone else get annoyed when EVERY sentence nowadays starts with 'So' ?
We've noticed it when people are being interviewed -
Question "Where do you come from?"
Answer "SO I was born in Glasgow but now live in Edinburgh" etc. etc.etc.!!!

glammanana Thu 05-Apr-18 11:05:50

Basically At the start of a statement makes my teeth grind

pollyperkins Thu 05-Apr-18 11:14:36

Agree with most but have to admit to saying absolutely sometimes susually for emphasis when yes sounds a bit lukewarm. As in 'Dont you find tgat word irritatig? ' 'absolutely!
I get annoys me when people say they are following their dream, or when people tell children they can be/do anything they like when they grow up eg ballerina, professional footballer. It's just not true!

nellgwin Thu 05-Apr-18 11:33:08

Basically and Lo! DIL finishes every sentence with basically and friend always ends emails or texts with Lo! Ye God's!

teabagwoman Thu 05-Apr-18 11:33:27

Agree with wholeheartedly Pollyperkins. There’s a world of difference between encouraging children to develop talents and this ridiculous “you can be anything you want”. I also get cross when I hear people telling children that anything they have made is amazing!

GrannyBettie Thu 05-Apr-18 11:49:12

My bugbear is people say "passed" when someone dies. Every time I hear it my mind thinks "passed what"? e.g.
"My uncle passed last night"

Lewie Thu 05-Apr-18 11:58:35

nellgwin are you sure they're not ending their messages with Lol? Some people use that for 'lots of love' ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 05-Apr-18 12:25:32

I hate it when someone starts off a sentence with 'so' when it's not necessary (I understand that it is sometimes the case) and I fantasise an invisible rubber band whacking them in the face every time I hear it, but then underneath my usual charm I'm evil.

winterwhite Thu 05-Apr-18 12:34:54

Own it comes from management-speak I think? While we’re sharing dislikes, mine is ‘to be honest’ or even ‘to be honest with you’ when stating the mildest opinion

Sazz1006 Thu 05-Apr-18 13:09:43

GrannieBettie, same here, I want to say passed what - driving test, 11 plus?

Blinko Thu 05-Apr-18 13:18:24

I think 'so' is the same as starting a sentence with 'well' in days gone by...

Situpstraight Thu 05-Apr-18 13:23:04

Lewie I once heard of a lady who had to send messages to relatives about a funeral time and date. She signed off with Lol, lots of love, however, her son told her that it stands for Laugh out Loud.........

Peardrop50 Thu 05-Apr-18 13:23:35

Another irritating one is ‘my bad’ when apologising for a wrong doing

MissAdventure Thu 05-Apr-18 13:23:59

I don't mind passed away. Its more gentle, less stark.

Grammaretto Thu 05-Apr-18 13:33:44

I so like this thread - it's awesome! Going forward we are seeing many Americanisms (is that a word) and business-speak. parking an idea makes me recoil. Look at you instead of good morning. A few years ago it was "neat" and cool and right
Passed rather than died or even passed away is weird.
Funny, I hadn't come across owning before. I'm so last century!.

humptydumpty Thu 05-Apr-18 13:35:45

I'm happy with 'passed' sorry some people don't like it but too bad!