Gransnet forums

AIBU

Own it ? !

(82 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 04-Apr-18 11:44:26

Tell me I am not alone in hating the new term ‘Own IT’
Just heard-it again on Breakfast TV.
So for those not in the know,this phrase is applied to every emotion, action, decision we express-
Example: I might say to a friend, I’m going to join a fitness class

The reply in new speak would be along the lines of
wow you go girl:- You Own It.

I want to shout ,No I Own my house , car , clothes whatever not words in a conversation grhhh!

Grammaretto Thu 05-Apr-18 13:39:46

She was like and he was like to describe any situation. as in She was like really upset. Or should that be, So she was like really angry..

DanniRae Thu 05-Apr-18 13:50:55

How about when someone agrees with something you have said and they reply "Oh yes. All day long". Bradley Walsh says it all the time on "The Chase". I find it quite annoying.
I think some people find it easier to say that someone has 'passed' rather than died and I don't mind this at all.

MissAdventure Thu 05-Apr-18 13:56:20

I heard a new 'thing' yesterday.
Someone thought that their friend had blatantly ignored them whilst out, and had been standoffish since.
When the friend asked why they hadn't said anything, or explained what the problem was, the ignored person said they aren't "A beg" hmm

pensionpat Thu 05-Apr-18 14:00:15

I often see FB posts which aren't even a sentence. E.g. When you come home from work and your child/partner/dog is pleased to see you. I presume it's to signify emotion. Or boasting usually.

Grammaretto Thu 05-Apr-18 14:10:36

MissAdventure we will all need subtitles soon. a beg? what does that mean?
People who turn around all the time as in: He turned round and then I turned round etc. I think they'll all get dizzy.
At least there is still the spoken word. I often get the bus (it's free!!!) and some people seem only to be able to speak in 4 letter swear words.

gmelon Thu 05-Apr-18 14:13:08

"Narcissist ". The latest word for anyone that the younger folks disapprove of. Particularly grandma. Look it up.

I always use the term "died/dead " but it does get some funny looks sometimes.

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 05-Apr-18 14:26:31

At the primary school assembly I always play ‘fantastic’ bingo. My record is seventy seven fantastics in three quarters of an hour. I know little kids need encouraging but there are other words and not all children really do do fantastic work, most are satisfactory or adequate, but these days satisfactory is considered poor rather than average or normal. Makes me spit that we are setting them up for such a crash when they start work and discover, like most of us, that they are average.

Bluegal Thu 05-Apr-18 14:40:27

Hahaha....agree totally. My old dad used to get wound up when people started saying "There you go" Instead of "here you are" He would say.....where am I going? haha (now find myself saying it!!!)

Similarly I get annoyed with the constant "you alright there?" instead of something like "what can I get you?" For instance, you could have been standing at a counter for five mins when the 'server' comes up and says "You alright there?" I always want to say....."yes am perfectly happy to stand here thank you" bahaha...... My daughters think I am being silly and no doubt in time........even I may end up saying it.

Camelotclub Thu 05-Apr-18 15:00:34

And starting every sentence with 'So.....'

And saying 'my bad' - stupid and meaningless.

Grammaretto Thu 05-Apr-18 15:30:25

Yes the So at the start of every answer grates as does the You alright there? from shop staff. I also dislike: What was your name again? when asked at the doctor, optician etc.. I had never told them my name in the first place.
And, while we are on the subject of things which annoy or irritate; Why do contestants on game shows applaud themselves?

Infact there's a bit too much self praise going on from selfies to tradesmen who ask you to please review their work for an on-line site and grumble if you don't give them 10 out of 10.

Bluegal Thu 05-Apr-18 15:49:01

Oh Grammaretto....tears of laughter......... yes, yes, yes, WHY do contestants on game shows applaud themselves??

Could be the excitement of it all I suppose? Getting confused but surely not EVERYONE can get confused? Are they told to? Who knows.......

Gin Thu 05-Apr-18 16:10:22

My current hate , frequently heard on BBC is “’wiv’. Where has ‘th’ gone? I find it most odd when spoken by someone who otherwise speaks pretty standard English.

Patticake123 Thu 05-Apr-18 16:17:33

I think the term ‘own it’ originally was used in counselling situations to get the client to ‘own’ their feelings. It is quite easy to say ‘we don’t like such and such’ but more difficult to ‘own it’ and say ‘I don’t like such and such’. In therapy, encouraging a client to ‘own their feelings enables them to gain confidence and recognise their true feelings. This is considerably easier said than done!

Northernlass Thu 05-Apr-18 16:32:55

I was just going to post the same thing, Patticake123smile. Perhaps it's an indication that there are more people in therapy than there used to be.....

"Can I get" really gets to me! It seems indicative of an acquisitive outlook - language can represent the concepts of the mind.

PamelaJ1 Thu 05-Apr-18 16:36:47

Tough ask.
Heard on the BBC this morning during a news bulletin.

starlily106 Thu 05-Apr-18 16:42:22

Hate to hear people say 'blah de blah' when they are telling you what someone else has said to them.

starlily106 Thu 05-Apr-18 16:46:09

And another hate is when being served by a shop assistant they end up saying 'see you later' when I will probably never see them again

Joelsnan Thu 05-Apr-18 16:46:55

Starting a sentence with 'SO'..grrr
My sisters use of 'SEVERAL' all the time...grrr
I could fill pages, I am becoming a grumpy pedant

GrammaH Thu 05-Apr-18 16:47:06

I certainly agree - " You OWNED that dance!" to a Strictly contestant sounds idiotic! I also dislike " Can I get..." instead of please may I have and referring to past times as "back in the day"...which particular day was that? As for "Are you all right there?" in shops, well...! When I first joined a travel agency, handing out brochures was a regular task and I was always reminded never to ask if the customer was "all right there" as this could provoke a useless one word answer, ie: yes or no. Far better to ask how one might be of assistance. I always remember that when someone says " You ok there?". I was always also taught to treat everyone who walked into the shop as a potential customer but times have certainly changed there and customer service isn't what it once was.

phantom12 Thu 05-Apr-18 16:58:14

I hate the way council's talk about their 'robust' plans for ways to spend our money.

Cherrytree59 Thu 05-Apr-18 17:13:17

Yep! Quite agree! Can't stand it.
They were obviously thinking outside the box when they conjured the phrase up.
Or maybe just pushing the envelope aroundhmmconfused

sarahellenwhitney Thu 05-Apr-18 17:38:25

Watch late evening U.S comedy programmes
There's your answer.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 05-Apr-18 17:52:16

The response from the young postman or should I say post person, when I thanked him for bringing a heavy parcel he had delivered into the garage, was 'Cool man' ? Did he mean that's ok?.

DeeWBW Thu 05-Apr-18 18:04:46

The phrase that irritates me is "'et's give it up for ....(name)" What's that all about?

DeeWBW Thu 05-Apr-18 18:05:27

Oops! "Let's give it up for ....(name)", that is.