Gransnet forums

AIBU

Own it ? !

(82 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 04-Apr-18 11:44:26

Tell me I am not alone in hating the new term ‘Own IT’
Just heard-it again on Breakfast TV.
So for those not in the know,this phrase is applied to every emotion, action, decision we express-
Example: I might say to a friend, I’m going to join a fitness class

The reply in new speak would be along the lines of
wow you go girl:- You Own It.

I want to shout ,No I Own my house , car , clothes whatever not words in a conversation grhhh!

annodomini Thu 05-Apr-18 18:18:53

It annoys me when children are referred to as 'kiddies'. For some reason it makes me squirm as does 'hubby'.

MissAdventure Thu 05-Apr-18 18:27:48

I don't like 'little man' for boy children, or any of the (only in my own opinion!) twee ways of referring to children.
I have seen them on here referred to as 'the smalls' which I love! grin

Gerispringer Thu 05-Apr-18 18:28:03

Here in Sarf London it’s common to hear police referred to as “feds” . Say no more grrr!

jenpax Thu 05-Apr-18 18:40:00

I am another who cannot stand a sentence starting with So! I also hate in store as in “in store today we are selling” etc. Why not in the store or in this store. I also hate the use of own it and nailed it and another pet hate is when someone says “I am on it”!! Or “I am all over it!” Urgh!! Plus stand out performance instead of outstanding, in fact so many annoy me that I will have to stop in deference to my blood pressure ??

Grammaretto Thu 05-Apr-18 19:30:28

Another bugbear - when someone says "you're welcome" when you have just done them a favour. I am a grumpy old woman.

Nanna58 Thu 05-Apr-18 19:53:56

Cannot stand alll those singing competition programmes that seem to be for carpenters instead, as all I hear the judges say is “you nailed it” “ you really nailed it” or “ you need to nail it” .What the .....?

Nanna58 Thu 05-Apr-18 19:54:47

Sorry jenpax, posts crossed!

Bluegal Thu 05-Apr-18 19:58:11

am loving all the things that annoy people but Gerispringe Feds? Have heard a lot of derorgatory terms for police. I think Feds (FBI) is one of the more polite versions ha ha.

My GC seem to have adopted the yeah...after every sentence. as well as the So.......So I was walking to school yeah? I met the traffic warden yeah? He said, wait..yeah? So, a big truck came along yeah? nearly knocked us over yeah? Sigh!......

Chewbacca Thu 05-Apr-18 20:11:29

During a particularly long and tedious meeting, I passed the time by counting how many times the speaker said "like". His record was 7 times in one sentence. I lost track of the details of the meeting because I was so engrossed in keeping count.

pollyperkins Thu 05-Apr-18 20:15:15

It's not just modern phrases that irritate. I used to work with someone who frequently said 'I'm not being funny but....' (which meant she was!) Just as starting a sentence with 'with all due respect...' means they are not going to respect you at all!

Legs55 Thu 05-Apr-18 21:01:52

Defo watching too many American tv programmesgrin. My DD uses "my bad", irritating but there again I give them a laugh when I use some of the expressions I grew up with. Child of the 60s. I'm sure I drove my parents mad using "fab" all the time.

Must start & outside the box, maybe push the envelope, I hated all the office jargon, I would "switch off" during training courses, probably not a good ideahmm

Saggi Fri 06-Apr-18 06:48:27

We’ve all been there and done that haven’t we . Every generation has its ‘buzz’ words.! Some stay in the venacular , but most dissipate over time! In the sixties ... FAB...Charming....cushti...?? that’s Hot man....grandkids use.... cool....fizzing!!....out-there....!!! We’ve all been guilty of these generational word plays. Long may it continue... that’s how English grows. I have a recording of poetry read in ‘middle english’ .... couldn’t understand 1 word in 3...Luckily there was a translation to ‘proper english’. Language evolves as do humans... own it!

lemongrove Fri 06-Apr-18 09:43:58

Haven’t heard the term ‘own’ before but for some reason our local radio always says ‘rocks up’ to a place rather than simply arrives there.Probably to make it sound far more exciting than it actually is.

Bridgeit Fri 06-Apr-18 10:41:47

Love your last sentence Saggi, ‘Hey man , I will chill,love & peace to you all, I have now ‘owned it’ ?

lemongrove Fri 06-Apr-18 14:38:52

If you now own it Brigeit then I do hope you have paid for it? grin

Jalima1108 Fri 06-Apr-18 15:18:44

I haven't heard the term 'stonking' for a long time. Presumably it's dropped out of fashion.

gmelon Fri 06-Apr-18 15:25:00

Time to move on
Haters
It is what it is
Keeping it real.

Also count me in on
awesome.

Elrel Fri 06-Apr-18 16:15:47

I think 'owned the stage' has been around for years.
It means the actor in question really bossed it! Y'hear what I'm saying?!

Must go and get a grip with shopping, or even 'grip it' ...

Fellowfeeling8 Fri 06-Apr-18 16:35:51

An expression I dislike is “turning 60, 70 or whatever” when people have a birthday. Also don’t like passed. “At this moment in time” is another expression which makes me weary.

pollyperkins Fri 06-Apr-18 18:26:56

Dd says she will ' rock up' to somewhere, also 'I'm on it ' if I suggest a course of action! But I think it's a bit tongue in cheek and it doesn't bother me.

Elrel Sat 07-Apr-18 21:11:09

Neilspurgeon, some years ago I became heartily sick of young teachers announcing their pupils' work was 'stunning'. I guess there's always a popular adjective of approval but that one really grated.

Rachel711 Sat 07-Apr-18 21:14:43

What does the new speak version of 'own it'
mean?? Does it mean take responsibility for something? It's so ridiculous its meaninglessangry

Bridgeit Sat 07-Apr-18 21:43:30

Own it , ...... make it yours, your time, your space , your talent, your feelings you gotta Own it . You could also add Go girl !

Elrel Sat 07-Apr-18 23:24:22

Bridgeit, yes, that!

Language is organic, it changes, we have to live with that. However I doubt I'll ever fully accept either 'train station' or 'chair' for a seat on a bus!

Jomarie Sun 08-Apr-18 00:05:51

The expression "get over it" seems apt to me! I like all the new buzz words - makes me feel alive if I am able to interpret them that is! I remember my mother, a real stickler for grammar and the correct pronunciation of words (and spelling of course) actually laughing at and enjoying new phrases/words that we came out with - she was ahead of her time. I do have a problem with the terminology for death however - passed is OKish but "lost" completely annoys me - how careless!!! grin