Gransnet forums

AIBU

wedding present dilemma

(56 Posts)
Ziggy62 Wed 16-May-18 11:42:55

Going to a family wedding on Saturday . Not THE wedding lol. Invitation included info of wedding present lists in 2 shops , both of which are at least a 40minute drive away. So we had long good look at lists. Chose one item from each shop. One we were able to pay for online, the other was paid for via phone call. Both items are to be gift wrapped by shop and bride & groom will collect.

Thought this was excellent idea. Couple get exactly what they want. Their house isn't ready yet but should be by the time they return from honeymoon, so all seemed well

UNTIL phone call from mother in law Monday evening. Wanting to know why we aren't calling to Bride's Mother's house with gifts. Now AIBU? Isnt the whole idea of having lists in stores so couples get what they have chosen, gift wrapped and paid for ???????

Plus both shops are in opposite directions so it would be quite a journey to collect both and wrap, plus 1 is a hoover!!!!

Rant over, sorry

eazybee Tue 22-May-18 09:19:01

Yes, you should be seething. Apparently it is the thing for young people not to bother to acknowledge gifts, wedding presents, baby gifts. My daughter was very surprised, and pleased, to receive thank-you letters from some of her friends recently; no-one had bothered before.
I too, was pleased to receive thank you cards with pictures of the newborn for very small gifts to children of daughter's friends and girls I used to work with.

pollyperkins Tue 22-May-18 09:23:45

I have been asked for money and received no thanks once or twice by nephews and neices. Very bad manners I think.

pollyperkins Tue 22-May-18 09:24:06

How did the wedding go Ziggy?

Ziggy62 Tue 22-May-18 12:37:10

wedding was lovely. Perfect weather and her dress was stunning

SparklyGrandma Tue 22-May-18 12:38:43

Bad manners indeed eazybee pollyperkins