Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think Kirsty Allsopp is taking advantage?

(200 Posts)
maryeliza54 Mon 04-Jun-18 14:12:42

Flies business, puts children (10 and 12) in economy. So who’s doing the child care?

Blencathra Tue 05-Jun-18 07:44:04

Merely not nearly!

Blencathra Tue 05-Jun-18 07:45:21

And on not in. A pity we can't edit after posting.

crystaltipps Tue 05-Jun-18 07:46:31

My kids aged 11+ used to fly on their own, you used to be able to book in unaccompanied minors and a member of cabin crew would look after them. They loved it. I also used to put them on a train at Kings Cross to travel to my parents in Yorkshire. I used to sit them near the guards van and mention it to the guard. No such thing as a guards van nowadays I guess. Plus from 11 onwards they travelled unaccompanied to school on trains and busses. Can’t see what the fuss is about with 2 children of that age sitting by themselves especially when a parent is a matter of yards away, not as if they are screaming toddlers.

OldMeg Tue 05-Jun-18 08:13:48

So what business is it of ours maryeliza ?

Yes, of course, you’ll say your only expressing an opinion but this sort of thread reminds me of those Les Dawson characters, ‘Cissie & Ada’, who loved to gossip ???

OldMeg Tue 05-Jun-18 08:14:04

You’re only ...

gillybob Tue 05-Jun-18 08:16:27

Isn’t gossiping what we are all doing here on Gransnet though OldMeg ? hmm

OldMeg Tue 05-Jun-18 08:25:38

That’s my point Gillybob ..... there’s a hell of a lot that’s just pure gossip ??

merlotgran Tue 05-Jun-18 08:32:10

So what? I bet celebs would rather be gossiped about than ignored.

maryeliza54 Tue 05-Jun-18 08:41:04

Gossiping on GN ??. Whatever next? It’s ususlly such a retreat for calm rational fact based discussion. KA lives by publicity - she goes on social media and MSM and gives us her views on running a home, being a partner, how to bring up children. She fulminates against the utter filthiness of having your washing machine in the kitchen because of course what we should be doing is getting a utility room built immediately - and that includes the second home naturally. She hates TV cabinets - really lower middle class apparently and not a way of protecting your TV in a small living room ( fancy not having a TV room ).A woman who lives by the media should just accept that not everyone will agree with her and funnily enough will have the right to say so. If she doesn’t like being criticised she should just shut up. She’s perfectly capable of looking after herself as her foul mouthed rants last night on Twitter show. I’m just shock that people think we shouldn’t discuss this if we want to . I suppose for some if you she’s seen as a national treasure and thereby beyond criticism - she’s practically royalty after all what with daddy being a baronet.

maryeliza54 Tue 05-Jun-18 08:43:31

Jane10 just seen your post - exactly sums up my feelings just more succinctly

harrigran Tue 05-Jun-18 08:52:09

The children may enjoy having some time out from mum.
DD flew home from her aunt's when she was 13 and with a stopover in Amsterdam, she was fine. She has travelled the world on her own and doesn't bat an eyelid, it is what you get used to.

maryeliza54 Tue 05-Jun-18 08:54:40

I’m still reeling at your post OldMeg

‘So what business is it of ours maryeliza ?

Yes, of course, you’ll say your only expressing an opinion but this sort of thread reminds me of those Les Dawson characters, ‘Cissie & Ada’, who loved to gossip ???’

Do you really think we’re not allowed to comment on the views of ‘celebs’ and that they should be allowed to say what they want? Really?

bigwood Tue 05-Jun-18 09:16:00

I think the point is that even at 10 a child can need looking after on a long flight. My GD vomited several times on a long flight recently. Ig her parents had been elsewhere it would have been incredibly unfair on the people next to her. She doesn't normally get sick so saying 'mine never does this' is not an excuse. Also in the case of turbulence or any problems I would not want to be separated from my family. I think the way Kirstie has been handling this on Twitter (I have read all her comments) is appalling whatever your view on the actual flying. Telling people who have said politely they would not do this with their own children to "F" off is ridiculous. She has gone right down in my estimation.

PamelaJ1 Tue 05-Jun-18 09:21:44

I don’t really care how KA is bringing up her children but I’ll add my opinion for what it’s worth.
I used to travel back and forwards to HK by myself when I was 11. Back in the day it wasn’t a direct flight, about 5 stops in, what were then grotty little airports for an hour or so to refuel ect.
I’m sure my parents never gave a thought about how I would be feeling if I was sick or the plane crashed. We didn’t expect problems and there weren’t any. Statistically it’s the safest form of transport I think.
I think my parents knew me and were very aware that I wouldn’t be a problem to anyone. Yes I could have been sick but so could an adult and the cabin crew would have had to deal with them.
Presumably KA knows her children and expects them to behave themselves.
It certainly didn’t cause me any problems and I have always been confident of my ability to travel on my own.

PamelaJ1 Tue 05-Jun-18 09:25:36

By the way, there were always sick bags in the seat in front and I have been known to use one?

muffinthemoo Tue 05-Jun-18 09:32:19

Have flown Ryanair many times.

I would not in any circumstances be sat away from my children on a Ryanair flight.

Especially the ones carrying the stag parties to Dublin.

Jane43 Tue 05-Jun-18 09:44:43

Bernie Ecclestone’s daughter, sorry can’t remember her name, flew in first class with her young daughter and the passenger next to the child complained, saying he didn’t expect children to be flying in first class. Sometimes so-called celebrities can’t win.

Kim19 Tue 05-Jun-18 10:11:45

Think my preference would have been to be beside the children at all times. Daresay that might not have been theirs! I think KA's practice and thinking should not be completely discounted. I've never been in that position but can see some merit in separate seating. This is with the complete proviso that one's children are thoroughly well behaved as a norm and of an age to cope in general.

ReadyMeals Tue 05-Jun-18 10:26:19

At that age they are perfectly safe on a flight sitting by themselves and probably having a wonderful time just being themselves and not being watched by Mum. And probably being especially spoilt by the cabin crew. My daughter flew unaccompanied before she was 5 and loved it. They made a huge fuss of her and watched her as well as any nursery teacher would have done.

Gaggi3 Tue 05-Jun-18 10:31:48

A very close friend was wrongly accused of behaving inappropriately to a child he was seated next to on a flight. The parent was in another class. The subsequent court case (he was acquitted) nearly ruined his family’s lives. I understood that this airline( not one mentioned) did not allow this anymore.

MaizieD Tue 05-Jun-18 10:33:11

I'm rather amused that people are suggesting that KA is using this to 'train' her children not to feel 'entitled; seems to me like a bit of an odd way to do it; I think I'd expect a parent doing that to be sharing the privation..

It does strike me, though, that she seems to be 'training' them in the (on the whole, condemned) old upper/middle class belief that children shouldn't expect to have too much of their parents' company or attention.

I think it's really odd that a busy lady like her isn't glad of a bit of time with her children, but that's just my feeling, no-one has to agree with me.

OldMeg Tue 05-Jun-18 10:33:35

Reel away maryeliza I couldn’t (in the words of Dame Judy) give a fuck! I’m sick of gossiping old grannies which is why I rarely post. And that’s an opinion that I’m allowed to post ?

Of course you won’t like it but then you’re the one who’s so hot on opinions.

henetha Tue 05-Jun-18 10:34:10

I don't really want to judge Kirsty Allsop, but all I know is that I could never do it. It was a great joy to me to spend time with my children, travelling or not, and I miss those days like mad.

hopeful1 Tue 05-Jun-18 10:35:16

I'd pay not to sit next to KA, her children must be relieved to hear they don't have to put up with her either!

goldengirl Tue 05-Jun-18 10:46:17

I have to say I quite like KA [ducks head below parapet]. I admit to not having heard this story before but (1) would it be a story if a 'celebrity' was NOT involved? and (2) KA didn't do herself any favours by responding on Twitter; thus the flames were fuelled. What she chooses to do is none of our business - noone was hurt; it's not an uncommon action for parents, so why the fuss?