Gransnet forums

AIBU

about gifts for teachers?

(55 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Jun-18 12:21:38

As we're coming to the end of the school year, many children (or their parents) are buying thank-you gifts for their class teachers. We've been asked to comment on radio about this. Is it a new phenomenon? Do you think they're unnecessary? Do people feel obliged to spend too much? Do your grandchildren enjoy giving thank you gifts/making thank you cards for their teachers? Are you a teacher yourself? How do you feel about it?
Be great to hear your views? Thank you.

Eloethan Mon 02-Jul-18 01:11:16

For the few years towards the end of my working life that I taught adult literacy, what I found most touching was to receive a card with a kind and appreciative message. It meant far more than receiving a gift. I think this idea of giving presents to teachers is getting out of hand and should be ditched. (I notice that, as usual, the shops have latched onto this relatively new marketing opportunity).

Humbertbear Mon 02-Jul-18 08:48:54

My son is a Primary school teacher and always goes home at the end of the year with a car boot filled with chocolates and wine but what he likes best are cards made by the children where they have written him a message unprompted by their parents. He is gratified when parents thank him for his hard work but his job satisfaction comes from the children.

annodomini Mon 02-Jul-18 09:29:53

In further and adult education, the most precious thing to receive was a student's thanks. And when I told a class I was to be made redundant, one student wrote a poem for me and, after 19 years, I still have it.

Eloethan Mon 02-Jul-18 12:49:56

That's lovely annodomini.