Gransnet forums

AIBU

AiBU and feeling really grumpy

(81 Posts)
M0nica Fri 06-Jul-18 20:56:26

This year DH and I celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and reach our 75th birthdays. Not being great party people we decided to hire a big house for a week in a popular holiday area and invite all those who still survive from our small wedding and anyone coming into our life as the result of the wedding, DGC and DDiL' and her family, 14 in all.

Everyone accepted the invite, although not all can stay the full week. The exception is my only surviving sister. She is coming up once to take us out to lunch and also for the celebratory dinner we are hosting - and that's it. She and her DH will not be staying one night.

If I am honest, I am not just feeling grumpy, I am quite upset about it. There is nothing I can do. It is par for the course. We get on perfectly well when we see each other a couple of times a year and DH and I both like her husband, who is very shy, but they both do plenty of things apart so if he is daunted by staying somewhere with 10 people he hasn't met before, which we can understand, she could come alone for a few days.

I am going to go into a corner and have a little cry and then get over it.

oldbatty Sun 08-Jul-18 18:31:49

queueing for a bathroom? Are you camping?

trisher Sun 08-Jul-18 18:43:56

M0nica I was invited to a relative's 50th wedding anniversary party and didn't go. Timing was difficult and it was a long journey. I hope that the celebrants weren't too upset that we didn't go. Your sister may think it is enough for her to turn up to lunch and the evening celebration. Perhaps she also feels that you have enough on your hands with the 14 and doesn't want to be too much trouble. Hope you have a lovely time and I'm sure it isn't meant to hurt, whatever her reasons.

M0nica Sun 08-Jul-18 19:22:08

What has happened has happened, I am used to it, so we will all continue as normal.

Knitnuts Sun 08-Jul-18 20:20:48

I’m sorry but I think you’re being quite unreasonable. I think your sister has compromised well. She is coming to take you to lunch and coming to your celebration dinner. I would understand your being miffed if she was doing nothing, but this isn’t the case.

I would hate to spend days staying in a house with either of my sibling’s friends. I am sociable but I hate making small talk and find it exhausting. I can be outgoing and fun but need to retreat to my own company to recharge my batteries. I can imagine agreeing to something like this and getting carried along with it, only to realise as the time approached that I was dreading it. I would probably then suggest a compromise similar to your sister’s.

kwest Sun 08-Jul-18 22:04:47

We have celebrated our Golden Wedding today. We had our children and grandchildren here for the day. We had brunch when they arrived and my daughter and daughter in law made a lovely afternoon tea and insisted that my husband and I just relaxed. We had a lovely day although the weather was really hot. They all left by 6.30 pm after a really nice chilled out day with good food, champagne and time to be with the people we love most in the world. Keeping it simple with just our immediate family was exactly what we wanted and kept it all stress free. I do hope you will enjoy your special day and be grateful for every day that you get to spend with your dear husband. So many of my friends are alone by now. Remember, don't sweat the small stuff.