Gransnet forums

AIBU

Username

(85 Posts)
Sickofweddingcake Thu 19-Jul-18 17:49:48

Good evening ladies...and gentlemen, of course!
I am a long time lurker. I think my username is 'Sickofweddingcake' which reflects my...now...attitude for marriage...(having two marriages...and one engagement behind me).
What is the story regarding your user name?
Please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place. X

Parsley3 Fri 20-Jul-18 00:02:07

There was a pot of parsley on the kitchen window ledge when I was choosing a name.

MissAdventure Fri 20-Jul-18 00:12:52

Lucky it wasn't a bag of rubbish.. smile

grannyactivist Fri 20-Jul-18 01:31:38

Ah, there you are number. smile I knew you'd name changed, but I forgot what to. I can't seem to keep adults names in my head at the moment, even some people in real life who I know quite well (a bit scary that), but for some reason I can almost always remember children's names.
My GN name is self explanatory I think; I used to grumble about inequalities and injustice, but as I got older I challenged myself to do something about it - hence I have been an 'activist' since 1992 when I first took part in a protest march in London. I usually campaign on social, rather than political, issues, but I did campaign on behalf of a really good independent candidate at the last General Election.

gmelon Fri 20-Jul-18 02:04:23

callgirl1
but still connected to my old job. Hubby said I was suggesting otherwise, lol

I have often wondered how you chose your name. Let's just say I knew there must be another reason than the one that immediatley came to mind!
My Grandmother was a GPO telephonist back in the late forties and early fifties.

PamelaJ1 Fri 20-Jul-18 06:28:24

Like Lynn and Ruth it’s my name.
I do often think of changing it because I think that if one of my friends, relations or clients joined they would guess it was me.
If I did then I would choose something short and easy to type.

NfkDumpling Fri 20-Jul-18 06:36:54

My mum was a GPO telephonist too! There were a lot about.

My name is what I am, slightly abbreviated as the full version was apparently taken.

Yiayia4 Fri 20-Jul-18 06:42:38

My name YiaYia is Greek for grandma and of course I have 4 grandsons.

hillwalker70 Fri 20-Jul-18 06:57:56

Mine is what I do and my age.

Yiayia4 Fri 20-Jul-18 07:22:17

YiaYia is Greek for Grandma plus I have four grandsons.

PernillaVanilla Fri 20-Jul-18 11:13:05

Some years ago in "Country Living" there was a fashion feature where the models were supposed to be gardening.
One caption was "Pernilla is tending her greenhouse in an off white cashmere cardigan by....." I thought this was so decadent I've long aspired to be Pernilla. All my cashmere is in dark colours.

glammanana Fri 20-Jul-18 11:23:09

Quite a few years ago I had to be suited and booted for my work,hair and make-up immaculate etc etc,my DDs friend's always commented "here's the glamma" so when my DD had her first son 27yrs ago the term glammanana was first used by her friends and its always been my title ever since even at home.

Greengage Fri 20-Jul-18 11:31:07

I wanted a name I would remember(!) connected with me in some way but wouldn't be apparent to anyone else who knew me. I like the thought of my posts being fairly anonymous so I am free to express myself!!!

cavewoman Fri 20-Jul-18 11:34:43

Because I look like Wilma Flintstone.

(Actually I look more like Fred!)

pollyperkins Fri 20-Jul-18 11:41:32

At first I used a variation of my first name and initials but then worried that I was easily identifiable and had put some personal info and discussed family fairly freely. So I changed to Pollyperkins as I like the name polly and there was already a Polly parrot. I like the song Pretty little Polly Perkins of Paddington Green though I am not pretty or little and don't live anywhere near Paddington Green! . . Hopefully no-one would guess it is me as it is nothing like my real name.

Seaside22 Fri 20-Jul-18 11:58:19

I live at the seaside and love it.Also I like ducks.Simple.

goldengirl Fri 20-Jul-18 14:18:49

Who I like to think I am - in my dreams!!!!

Hagridnan Fri 20-Jul-18 14:23:28

Hagrid could be my brother from another mother,(but I don’t have the beard?)

Gagagran Fri 20-Jul-18 14:46:46

I chose mine after my dear old Mum who used to say "I must be going gaga" when she couldn't remember something.

Billybob4491 Fri 20-Jul-18 14:55:10

I have two nephews William and Robert.

downtoearth Fri 20-Jul-18 15:04:20

Because I am

Esspee Fri 20-Jul-18 15:12:44

Clearly I have no imagination! ?
Mine is my initials. I really need to think of something more original.

Lisalou Fri 20-Jul-18 15:27:02

What my Ma used to call me as a child!

mimiro Fri 20-Jul-18 15:34:26

mimi is what we call the grans in the family.the ro is the 1st 2 letters of my name,kids started adding the name letters because we had 3 generations of mimi's going at once-mimian is my mon etc

Kupari45 Fri 20-Jul-18 17:27:23

Years ago when I first signed up to Gransnet, every name I could think of was already taken. I had a copy of an old Holiday brochure in the pile of "stuff" next to computer. Looked at back page for inspiration and found KUPARI , and added the year I was born.

chelseababy Fri 20-Jul-18 17:39:52

Mine is after the football team I support ⚽