Gransnet forums

AIBU

Don’t call me ‘love’

(171 Posts)
Bridgeit Fri 10-Aug-18 17:21:53

What next, I have just read a brilliant article from Coleen Nolan, apparently Gatwick Airport staff have been told they must no longer call customers Love or Darling , she is quite rightly horrified & so am I .
It is the thin edge of the wedge IMO, what happened to freedom of speech & social interaction
Yes I know it can be said in a derogatory tone of voice, but generally speaking it’s harmless isn’t it?

Mapleleaf Tue 17-Nov-20 11:24:59

There are certainly more important things to get upset about than if someone calls you love, etc, when it’s just being used in a friendly, non patronising way.

Lucca Tue 17-Nov-20 11:56:00

boodymum67

good job you don't live in Yorkshire!

Indeed !

Redhead56 Tue 17-Nov-20 12:12:47

Not really bothered as long as it's not offensive. There's an expression in Liverpool 'Alright Lah' which some people use but it's not an expression we ever used.

jeanie99 Fri 20-Nov-20 04:46:28

Why anyone should be upset or irritated by someone saying darling or love is beyond me.
They should get a life, there are far far worse thing happening in this world.
I'm very happy to speak to anyone who is pleasant to me whatever their way of speaking.

Fecklar Fri 18-Dec-20 18:14:41

Haha wait until someone calls you poppet. I have two friends both 20 years younger than me one calls me poppet and the other calls me lovely. I’m 67. Fit as a butchers dog. Do workouts they couldn’t do. However rather than say something I just accept it for what it is. There is no point in me protesting even though that term does annoy me.

BlueSky Fri 18-Dec-20 18:30:43

I didn’t mind when I was younger now I cringe when in shops they say “Allright lovely?” I really feel 105!

BlueBelle Fri 18-Dec-20 18:45:16

My friend a very even tempered lady with a wonderful sense of human nearly turns into the Incredible Hulk if any one says
‘ahh bless you’ to her

Sparkling Sat 19-Dec-20 06:39:32

Who are these people that get upset over such a minor thing?
I accept I am old now but all my life people have called me darling of love, in shops and public transport, people don't know your name and its being friendly, wouldn't want yo be a Mrs, Ms or Madam. I don't consider it an age thing, I frequently call my grandchildren darling as I have been corrected for using their wrong names and sometimes its the safer option.

Sparkling Sat 19-Dec-20 06:44:04

Feckless, 66 however fit and youthful, to a very young person it is ancient. I know when I was younger I thought anyone over 30 was old.?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 20-Dec-20 21:32:23

I always smile when our delivery drivers ( English isn’t their first language) call me ‘ Lady’ .
I must take me crown orf when I get the door........

BrandyGran Fri 29-Jul-22 09:25:42

I think it’s a shock to the system when if you have been in a responsible job and are used to getting respect, to be suddenly called dear or pet because you are retired and maybe in your 70s.

DanniRae Fri 29-Jul-22 09:29:10

This is an old thread. It started in 2018!

HowVeryDareYou Fri 29-Jul-22 09:35:58

I'm from Nottingham, where people call each other "duck". I often say "luv", but it's in a friendly way

henetha Fri 29-Jul-22 09:36:46

I thought it seemed familiar. I think I said back then that I don't mind being called love or anything similar, as long as it's said nicely. In fact, I quite like it.

Jane43 Fri 29-Jul-22 09:41:56

Mapleleaf

There are certainly more important things to get upset about than if someone calls you love, etc, when it’s just being used in a friendly, non patronising way.

Exactly!

Dickens Fri 29-Jul-22 09:53:15

Anniebach

Doesn’t trouble me , just people being friendly

I think I'm with you on this.

It's only irritating if it's used as a condescension. But even a polite "madam" can be patronising and scornful. Context is everything.

People trying to be friendly is the least of our worries at the moment.

pandapatch Fri 29-Jul-22 10:11:58

I agree as long as it is meant in a friendly way, don't like being called madam though (not that I ever am!) - it would make me feel old.

MawtheMerrier Fri 29-Jul-22 10:35:35

“Bless” is the one I find most patronising.
Paying at the automated checkout recently, I commented (well that was a mistake for a start, only old dears talk to strangers) that since the contactless limit had been raised to £100 and for the last 2 years most of my shopping had been done online, that I had trouble remembering my pin number.
She smiled kindly “Bless” she said. It was all I could do not to run my trolley over her feet. ?

Shinamae Fri 29-Jul-22 10:44:07

I cannot stand………… My dear….

Elizabeth27 Fri 29-Jul-22 11:06:27

DanniRae

This is an old thread. It started in 2018!

Does it matter? People still want to comment.

Mine Fri 29-Jul-22 11:53:54

Is it not just a term of endearment when someone calls you love,darling or something nice What's the big deal..People are only trying to be kind...

biglouis Fri 29-Jul-22 12:59:06

I grew up in Liverpool where everyone is "luv" or "mate" according to gender so I never thought anything of it. Too many people in the business of being offended nowadays.

AreWeThereYet Fri 29-Jul-22 15:32:12

I used to work with someone who called everyone 'my love' - it wasn't intended to be disrespectful or aimed at old people. She once told me that she had difficulty remembering people's names unless she knew them very well so just called everyone the same. Most of our clients were men and I don't remember anyone taking umbrage. She was a lovely, friendly lady who was well respected by our team and by our clients.

I remember watching Friends years ago and Rachel getting mad about being addressed as 'Excuse me' by anyone wanting more coffee ?

Cabbie21 Sat 30-Jul-22 12:06:09

I like it if someone is being friendly, though I don’t expect it from young people.
The check out lady in Aldi calls me My love, the bus driver calls me Darling and the market stall lady calls me Sweetheart. We're not friends, but it feels as if we are. They are all middle aged. It would seem weird from a young person.
I certainly wouldn’t expect any such greetings in formal situations.

Ali08 Sun 31-Jul-22 18:19:31

It took me years to get used to being called babe or darlin etc. And it used to annoy the hell out of me when my ex husband called me babe all the time, like he couldn't remember my name!! But now I say them quite regularly. (It's worn off on me eventually).
But, my family & friends know there's trouble in the air if I call someone 'petal'!
If you're called 'petal' you've really p'd me off!! ?