Gransnet forums

AIBU

Don’t call me ‘love’

(170 Posts)
Bridgeit Fri 10-Aug-18 17:21:53

What next, I have just read a brilliant article from Coleen Nolan, apparently Gatwick Airport staff have been told they must no longer call customers Love or Darling , she is quite rightly horrified & so am I .
It is the thin edge of the wedge IMO, what happened to freedom of speech & social interaction
Yes I know it can be said in a derogatory tone of voice, but generally speaking it’s harmless isn’t it?

Joelsnan Fri 10-Aug-18 17:33:15

Exactly!
We should not allow the PC brigade to turn us into a nation of miserable beige killjoys. should we luv smile

ContraryMary88 Fri 10-Aug-18 17:34:18

It would seem to be wouldn’t it? But if a younger woman says it to me I have to bite my tongue, it really makes me cross.

Mamissimo Fri 10-Aug-18 17:39:50

I really dislike being called Love or Darling by anyone other than my husband. Duckie or Ducks is even worse...and as for Dearie.....if we have been introduced I have a name....and if we haven’t a simple Madam will do nicely ?

Bridgeit Fri 10-Aug-18 17:43:52

Yes I have to agree that ‘come on my luv’ sounds patronising. But generally I think an ‘Ok (my )love ‘is alright, however I did once hear of a lady who replied to said comment from a workman by saying,
My love you will never be! Brilliant ?

Anniebach Fri 10-Aug-18 17:46:43

Doesn’t trouble me , just people being friendly

callgirl1 Fri 10-Aug-18 17:48:38

I quite like it, better than abuse.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Aug-18 17:50:42

I am just happy to interact with other humans.

I fear that we will live in such a homogeneous society soon, all the fun suckers would have won.

seacliff Fri 10-Aug-18 17:51:22

When I go back to London, they often say that in the markets. I like it, it's people being friendly.

NanaandGrampy Fri 10-Aug-18 17:55:51

I'm with you Annie .

Call me love, dear, ducks, duckie, chick, hen, dearie, sweetheart - Ill answer to the am all.

Just don't call me late for dinner as my Nan used to say ;-)

Bellanonna Fri 10-Aug-18 17:56:24

There was a similar thread not so long ago. I’m happy to be called anything if it’s friendly. Round here it could be love, darlin’, mate, whatever. Endearments in other parts of the U.K. are lovely too. Not a problem for me at all. People being friendly, that’s all.

PECS Fri 10-Aug-18 18:04:00

I don't mind it as long as it is not said condescendingly / rudely! You can say Madam and sound rude! Not what you say it's how you say it!

Maybe in a job interacting with high numbers of the public there is a strong chance of offending sensitive souls so it is safer to stick to formal methods of address. Shame though, difference is more interesting and friendliness sometimes is more easy to demonstrate using less formal terms!

I do not think it is 'politically correct' at all, probably just expedient! Too many complaints from the public about 'youngsters being over familiar' from Captain and Lady Blimp from Chepstow types (ps I don't think I have been to Chepstow so sorry if I am maligning the town!)

Melanieeastanglia Fri 10-Aug-18 18:04:44

It depends on circumstances, I suppose. I would not expect to be called "love" or anything similar in a formal or business setting but I don't think I'd really care in a more social situation.

It isn't something which worries me too much. People possibly mean to be warm and friendly.

sparkly1000 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:11:59

As long as it's not patronising it doesn't bother me at all. I have a couple of young window cleaners who always greet me with "Allo darling, how's it going?" And we exchange friendly chit chat.
When nursing I could always gauge those who would not be offended by terms of endearment and those who preferred to maintain a little distance and respected their wishes.

rubytut Fri 10-Aug-18 18:14:55

I like it , living in the south of England it is not so common but when I visit friends in Yorkshire these friendly terms are often used.

ninathenana Fri 10-Aug-18 18:19:36

Testing

ninathenana Fri 10-Aug-18 18:20:59

Sorry everyone, can't post from mobile site, just testing
As you were smile

Kittye Fri 10-Aug-18 18:23:00

I'm withAnnie call me what you like as long as you're polite and friendly I don't mind?

oldbatty Fri 10-Aug-18 18:23:40

its a bit cringy when a young 'un serving in a restaurant calls me Madam

annodomini Fri 10-Aug-18 18:31:05

Doesn't normally bother me, but a few weeks ago, a young taxi driver called me 'lovey' every second sentence all the way to the station - about 20 minutes. I know he meant no disrespect, but I just found it profoundly irritating and hope I get a different - and preferably taciturn - driver next time I take a taxi.

MissAdventure Fri 10-Aug-18 18:48:47

I'm not too bothered, really.
I do bristle a bit if its a very much younger person, but I think that says more about me than them. smile probably

Bellanonna Fri 10-Aug-18 18:50:13

How annoying, Anno! Taciturn drivers on the whole are best anyway imo.

Greyduster Fri 10-Aug-18 19:31:54

It is part of normal conversation in these parts; you are either “duck” or “love” - sometimes “pigeon” - and I don’t object to being called any of those names by total strangers, though I hate “lovey”, especially coming from a young person. Personally, I have never called anyone except DH “love” (the children or GS on the very odd occasion).

BlueBelle Fri 10-Aug-18 19:42:51

It certainly doesn’t bother me the only thing that annoys a bit is when they say it dozens of times in one transaction thank you love, anything else you want love, have a nice day love

MamaCaz Fri 10-Aug-18 19:49:49

I feel the same as BlueBelle.