Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU...to expect my friend to leave her dog at home?

(148 Posts)
Grandma70s Tue 14-Aug-18 20:21:39

I have a friend who never goes anywhere without her dog. My problem is that I don’t want dogs in my house. She doesn’t seem to think it’s possible to leave the dog at home when she visits me. As a result, I don’t really want to invite her. We don’t see each other very often anyway (she lives about 20 miles away), but it would be nice to meet occasionally.

Do people think it’s impossible to leave a dog alone for a few hours?

OldMeg Fri 17-Aug-18 22:23:28

But it’s not your dog sodapop it’s watermelons and that’s her choice.

OldMeg Fri 17-Aug-18 22:25:09

So no solution G70

Do let us know what you do and what your friend says.

PECS Fri 17-Aug-18 22:52:27

Is there a place to meet, a dog friendly pub, that is in taxi distance for you & drivable for her? Or a National Trust type place with a nice cafe?

OldMeg Fri 17-Aug-18 22:59:44

The OP has said she doesn’t want to do that!

Twice!

seacliff Fri 17-Aug-18 23:25:36

She should surely be willing to compromise a little, unless she's really not bothered about the friendship.

Bluegal Fri 17-Aug-18 23:49:39

Old Meg: just to say I agree with you ?.

sodapop Sat 18-Aug-18 06:45:16

That's true OldMeg but just stating my opinion.

OldMeg Sat 18-Aug-18 07:33:13

Bluegal ??

Nelliemoser Sat 18-Aug-18 08:01:52

My husband's grandmother went into a nursing home and she was given a soft toy dog which she loved. She was always cuddling it and really enjoyed that. There's a solution.
I found I was holding my daughter's doll as you hold a baby when my grandsons had visited with their teddies. It is a very comforting sensation. (I don't yet go out with it.).

Ironmaiden Sat 18-Aug-18 17:09:23

I do not like dogs, in fact I am a bit phobic about them. They scare me and I don’t like physical contact, although I am very concerned about cruelty to animals, am vegan and subscribe to PETA. I would never visit a house with dogs and I am afraid if someone turned up with one they wouldn’t get over the threshold. Just, no. Your house, your rules.

Bluegal Sat 18-Aug-18 17:32:27

Ironmaiden I guess people who love dogs just will never understand you especially with your connection to the animal world?

I would never ever voice my opinions on anyone. It is personal and if you have a phobia so be it...

My view is that children make far more mess than any dog I have ever known. People accept kids. Personally, give me a friend who wants to come round with a dog than their kids! Despite what has been written on this I don't know of any people who have dogs who are .. aggressive, pee in the house, bring fleas, bite my ankles, snarl and snap etc etc.

On the other hand....their kids run amok lol........

nanny2507 Sat 18-Aug-18 19:03:03

i have dogs and i NEVER take them to friends houses. Even if i could its also nice for me to have a break from them. As much as i love them its hard work, its like having naughty children, i would be mortified if they broke/messed anything up and its not my house and I respect that.

sodapop Sat 18-Aug-18 19:22:38

Exactly nanny2507.

Bluegal Sat 18-Aug-18 19:27:01

Well nanny2507...I can take mine anywhere because he is well trained. Need I say more?

.its not the dogs but the owners bahaha )

sodapop Sat 18-Aug-18 21:43:28

Well good on you Bluegal now you can have the goblet for best behaved dog ?

OldMeg Sun 19-Aug-18 07:27:06

That’s a bit of a sarky post soda.

After all so many on this thread seem to see dogs in a negative light and in fact most are well behaved, flea free and friendly. What’s wrong with Bluegal saying hers is well behaved?

sodapop Sun 19-Aug-18 08:04:49

Sorry for seeing the funny side, thought Bluegal posted that tongue in cheek.
Note to self - keep a check on sense of humour.

OldMeg Sun 19-Aug-18 08:15:23

Ah ha! The ‘only joking’ response!

sodapop Sun 19-Aug-18 10:07:13

Exactly so OldMeg

If my previous post seemed sarky then in the words of the immortal bard
" You ain't seen nuthin yet "

OldMeg Sun 19-Aug-18 10:46:33

I’ll wait in eager anticipation ??

MawBroon Sun 19-Aug-18 10:53:13

Well nanny2507...I can take mine anywhere because he is well trained. Need I say more ?
Oh that’s about a dog?
Thought it might have been DH! But on reflection.......grin

nanny2507 Sun 19-Aug-18 22:32:08

Mine are well behaved but knowing my luck they would show me up! It's me you have to watch...I'm so clumsy ha ha