Gransnet forums

AIBU

He was pulling up my pyracantha!

(69 Posts)
luzdoh Thu 23-Aug-18 21:08:53

I was in my house, at the computer. My dog started to bark by the patio doors. I looked and saw the 6ft+ pyracantha shaking vigorously back and forth. I could not see what animal was doing this. I lifted my gaze to the top and had a terrible fright. A big face of a man was staring straight into mine while his arm was reaching across the 6ft fence, which he had broken together with the trellis in front of it, and jerking the pyracantha sharply back and forth. I was dumb founded and frightened. This man had to be standing on something to reach over like this and I don't know how long he had been watching me. My other equally big pyracantha had died recently. I later found it had been sawn through. Neither plant goes over or through the fence. The fence is mine.
I was so shocked I handled it very badly, like the Inspector when offered the biscuits for cheese on Fawlty Towers and Manuel's rat was in the box, I just behaved normally and asked if he was ok. He is my neighbour's father. He does not live there.
It's not so much AIBU? as AIB STUPID? His daughter has behaved terribly badly towards me too.

Flossie777 Thu 23-Aug-18 21:18:15

Report him to the police, he cannot damage your property.

kathsue Thu 23-Aug-18 21:21:46

I would have called the police right away. It must have been very frightening for you.

M0nica Thu 23-Aug-18 21:46:53

Without a doubt, call the police.

Bathsheba Thu 23-Aug-18 22:07:17

I completely agree with others here. You must call the police. He has broken your fence and damaged your plants and you have every right to press charges.

FarNorth Thu 23-Aug-18 22:23:43

That is terrible!

BlueBelle Thu 23-Aug-18 22:41:16

Sorry police won’t do anything I was sitting watching tv a few years ago and heard a whooshing noise then a crash I opened the curtains peered out and my 8 ft Cordelyine was in half laying across my front wall I didn’t see anybody but when I investigated you could clearly see saw marks I rang the police and they did come out and the police woman totally agreed it had been sawn in half however although there was a camera within my view they didn’t do anything further I could never work out why as it was in no ones way didn’t overlook any bodies house Anyway it must have liked it’s ‘pruning’ as it quickly grew more branches and was back to normal within a few years

Elrel Thu 23-Aug-18 22:43:25

Luzdoh - what a horrible experience for you. I hope you get some support from the police. Do you have other neighbours that you get on well with?

muffinthemoo Thu 23-Aug-18 23:44:58

Wtf??? What possible reason does he have for killing your plants???

I would report this as criminal damage since you saw him in the act.

aggie Fri 24-Aug-18 06:11:06

He must have tough hands to pull
such a prickly bush ! Mine had to be pruned as the car was getting the paint badly scratched by the strong thorns

Grampie Fri 24-Aug-18 09:35:15

As part of his rehab send him to me.

I have a pyracantha I need rid of.

Heather23 Fri 24-Aug-18 10:02:32

Totally unacceptable behaviour but as police not likely to get involved, try your local councillor. At best, visit next door (with a bodyguard) to see what is happening on their side of the fence. If you try to move house these days you have to state whether there is any dispute with the neighbours so if at all possible, even though they are totally in the wrong, you have to be the bigger person and try and resolve whatever is causing them to behave this way. Keep a record of all conversations. Someone in our village had their whole hedge removed (presumably some rogue 'gardener' who needed one on the cheap for somewhere else)! Good luck.

FlorenceFlower Fri 24-Aug-18 10:05:57

Bizarre, what could he have been thinking of? Was it blocking his light (not that that should make any difference or be a reason to destroy your plant in your garden) or did he want to sell it?

Had something similar years ago, when living in a rented house, when some people came out of their party, quite drunk, and pulled up some roses from our garden. Must have hurt them, hopefully!

ReadyMeals Fri 24-Aug-18 10:12:13

There are a lot of people who would at one time have been institutionalised now trying to deal with their mental health problems unsupported. No one wants to see every sick person locked up of course, but it's gone from one extreme to another.

amberlee Fri 24-Aug-18 10:25:13

I would have turned the hose pipe on him.

Bathsheba Fri 24-Aug-18 10:31:48

I would have turned the hose pipe on him.

Brilliant idea! Or even better, have one of those humungous waterjet thingies at the ready, all filled with dark blue dyed water gringringrin (OK, I am joking, but wouldn't it be satisfying? wink)

Guineagirl Fri 24-Aug-18 10:36:39

Some neighbours are pure controlling bullies. I recall my neighbour at my old house leaning over to trim a bush that was growing on a fence. I had told him that there was a blackbird feeding babies in the bush but came back one day to see the bush trimmed from the top, obviously leaned over and the poor blackies nest had no roof now. I tried my best to cover it but they didn’t survive, that annoyed me I told him what he’d done but he couldn’t of cared less, I wouldn’t mind but he was elderly and he should of known better.

jenpax Fri 24-Aug-18 10:50:18

I would not let this go! I too would report criminal damage to the police and insist that they take action also consider an injunction through a solicitor

sarahcyn Fri 24-Aug-18 11:00:15

I know the police won’t do anything but if you can point out that you felt vulnerable and terrorised they might see that this is more than just damage to property but a deliberate attempt to intimidate you. Stalker alert!

Nanny41 Fri 24-Aug-18 11:13:52

What on earth! was this plant troubling the neighbours? why didnt he just call on you if there was a problem, or if they wanted it taken out of the ground he could have asked.I hope the police sort it out for you.
I hope the plant survives!

Nandalot Fri 24-Aug-18 11:25:27

It sounds a very aggressive action. Pyracantha are very prickly. I hope he got what he deserved!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 24-Aug-18 11:40:27

luzdoh For what reason would they do this other than they resented it hanging over their side.Nevertheless it is not acceptable for others to damage what you claim to be your fence as this is a criminal offence..Take photographs and as the local law did not appear to want to get involved go to CA show them photographs and ask what you can do about it. It would be wise to have cctv installed to keep an eye on these persons and gives evidence should there be further damage to what you claim is your property. If the fence and trellis can be proved to be yours, in my view believe it to be your property, then I strongly advise you obtain evidence of this then damage to it caused by others is criminal. Was this fence , together with the trellis and shrub. blocking out your neighbours light?.The right to a view is old hat so that would not stand up in court. neither is the fact 'they /we don't like it'..How ever if your shrub is hanging over the fence and trellis onto your neighbours side? then you have a duty to keep it trimmed to prevent it happening again.You live next to these people but that does not mean you have to be bosom pals. If its just a matter of keeping your shrub to a reasonable height, reasonable to the extent and as the law states does not interfere with your neighbours enjoyment of their property then that is a small price to pay for harmony. Sorry if you went to sleep half way. Nothing worse though than neighbours like yours Good Luck.

Helenleeds Fri 24-Aug-18 11:46:44

I sympathise luzdoh! My neighbour decided to 'prune' the clematis montana that covers the trellis between our gardens. It's our plant & we always trim the top & make sure their side is kept tidy. He sawed through a lot of the thick stems leaving the shrub at our side hanging off the trellis & decimated in parts! So annoying - I was really upset. This is the same neighbour who thought it was a good idea to begin assembling bedroom furniture at 11pm!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 24-Aug-18 11:47:52

What a stupid thing to do for him to do. As a pyracantha has loads of vicious thorns he probably cut himself and bled for his trouble. I wonder if he felt that it was a danger to his father and that's why he did it.
That's no excuse though, is it? If he felt that it encroached on his land he could and should have asked if he could trim off the offending branches. That's the trouble with people who aren't nice - they don't bother to ask nicely.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 24-Aug-18 11:52:46

Guineagirl
Did you take photographs or keep the remains of the nest and report him, age is not an excuse, to the RSPB or the RSPCA or both .?