Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why am I embarrassed?

(89 Posts)
Marieeliz Sat 01-Sep-18 10:11:17

Fairly new neighbour late 50's has, over the past couple of months, had a man staying over the weekend. The noise of their sexual activity during the night is making me feel uncomfortable.

Here we are and it is the weekend again, they go to the pub and return late, just as I am trying to go to sleep. I have lived in this house for many years, many tenants some having children whilst living there, but I never heard the noise I have heard with the last two tenants. Are people less inhibited these days.

It is a terraced house and all the bedrooms back onto one another so it is not is if I can move rooms. Cannot say anything jokingly as did not get on with her from her moving in a year ago.

Met up with an ex colleague last week and she is having a similar problem next door to her.

SparklyGrandma Tue 04-Sep-18 17:39:04

Bang on the wall hard with something, rolling pin. If it doesn’t stop, bang again 5 minutes later.

Best to brutally direct, they are being so.

JackyB Tue 04-Sep-18 06:26:16

A strategically staged cat fight would be suitably anonymous, but cats are unfortunately difficult to stage manage.

Chewbacca Mon 03-Sep-18 20:15:19

Perhaps best not to play Do That To Me One More Time by Captain & Tennille?

MamaCaz Mon 03-Sep-18 20:14:20

Or Ian Dury's 'Hit me with your rhythm stick'? grin

moggie57 Mon 03-Sep-18 20:11:24

i cant get no satisfaction at full blast.

rozina Mon 03-Sep-18 17:03:39

What I do Marieeliz as I have neighbour noise (about the same as you), I take my TV headphones, turn them on and lay them on the pillow which produces the white noise. You can then easily turn the white noise up and down as you please. I DO have to admit creating white noise is the best thing.

muffinthemoo Mon 03-Sep-18 12:30:21

Marie I am sure we can help you with a suitably romantic playlist for the Google mini.

I’m Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
Sexy And I Know It - LMFAO
Horny - Mousse T
Tubthumping - Chumbawamba
Vindaloo - Fat Les
Gangnam Style - PSY
Duelling Banjos - Eric Weissberg

You want something with a powerful but difficult to match beat

Marieeliz Mon 03-Sep-18 09:15:37

Shizam some months ago I, politely, requested she keep party noise down. She said "she would think about it". So I don't thing I would have much luck with that.

Tea and cake Mon 03-Sep-18 07:21:57

A good rousing rhythm like 'staying alive' might get them to the end quicker! Brilliant suggestions here. Otherwise something like children's nursery rhymes, a complete turn off!

Shizam Sun 02-Sep-18 23:56:32

I had a mortifying conversation with someone in a similar tiny house. Had no idea how much noise we made. Just tell her. She’ll keep it down once she knows. Honesty is best.

Marieeliz Sun 02-Sep-18 23:09:00

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and you have at least made me laugh. Last night it was the Grandson and girlfriend around 2.30 am.

If only I had the nerve to carry some of your suggestions out. Rizlett she has the barking dog as well never taken out and left in the back garden all day.

When I told my ex colleagues, when I met them for lunch last week, I found out I wasn't the only unlucky one. One had the noise plus smells of drug smoking coming into her bathroom when opening the window to let the steam out.

When I get my Google mini I play all your music suggestions.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 02-Sep-18 22:40:43

If they continue just set speakers to the wall and play je taime, let's get it on and sexual healing at the wall. This worked on couple having tantric timed sex in next room on holiday. They looked somewhat sheepish the next day when at breakfast grin

Nanny41 Sun 02-Sep-18 22:28:45

Loved the suggestions, especially the 1812, that was the best. As others have said, you could always when talking casually to your neighbour, ask her if their walls are as thin as yours, as she is quite new to the neighbourhood it is a logical question, asked in the right place.
I dont think you should be embarrassed, the neighbour certainly will be!

DoraMarr Sun 02-Sep-18 22:22:13

Years and years ago, newly married, I was camping with my then husband in the Scottish Borders. It was a small site, mostly used by families with young children, and everyone settled down well before 11. Around midnight a young couple arrived on a motorbike, pitched their tent very close to ours, and then had very noisy sex. They packed up and left very early the next morning, before most of the campers were up. I got some very odd stares in the communal wash house that morning, and realised everyone thought it was us! That was enough to ensure a very chaste stay on that particular campsite.

KirbyGirl Sun 02-Sep-18 19:55:55

Thank you Apricity. I have just spent a happy half an hour watching various Flashmobs (that were on You Tube after the 1812). Enjoyed the remedies too. Hope the poster gets some satisfaction and a few laughs.

Applegran Sun 02-Sep-18 17:54:24

Friends with a similar problem covered the shared wall with book shelves and filled them with books. Books are good at cutting out sound and it worked. If you have room for this, you might want to consider it. Otherwise, I am sure you can buy sound proofing materials from a DIY shop or builder's merchants. Good luck!

kennyh Sun 02-Sep-18 17:09:58

Marieeliz it sounds to me like you are dreading the weekends before they even arrive. you are getting yourself in a state worrying about it.No 1 find a good film to watch or soft music before you retire.No 2 take a couple of Calms tablets,or Valerine tablets all available from chemist or thlle same as me,from Simply Supplements.None addictive,all veg derived.& No 3 if all else fails make an appointment with your GP.No need to say why,just explain you are restless & awake most of the nights.Or how about this,if you do bump into your neighbour,casually say you keep having strange dreams now & again,mostly at the weekends.I keep dreaming Im working on a pig farm,and the pigs are nonstop snorting & grunting away.Ive told them I will turn them into sausages if they don`t quieten down,only trouble is they are to quick for me to catch them.Oh well i`m bound to get the same dream again next weekend,maybe they will be quieter this time. Good luck.

MissAdventure Sun 02-Sep-18 16:47:14

A 'stud' wall sounds very appropriate.

Alexa Sun 02-Sep-18 16:43:26

I agree with Cherrytree. I'd want to build on an extra stud wall with sound absorbing insulation behind it. You would lose a little space but worth it.

sluttygran Sun 02-Sep-18 16:32:16

Slightly off subject, I have mostly elderly neighbours so loud noise is rarely a problem in my flat.
Unfortunately, the dear old couple who live beneath me have a habit, especially in the early hours of the morning, of breaking wind with the most amazing volume and duration!
I don’t suppose I can really complain about that, poor souls!
Maybe I’ll just ‘answer back’ once in a while grin

sarahellenwhitney Sun 02-Sep-18 16:10:24

Tillybelle Would sexual over enthusiasm and even a neighbours crying child, not a baby , which we had to put up with many years ago, count when it comes to what is acceptable where noise levels are concerned?

sarahellenwhitney Sun 02-Sep-18 15:57:27

How long does it go on ? If she has got herself a young stud of 20 then I don't think you have an option other than earplugs .Even studs need a break and as you may already be awake then when all is quiet blast away with your cleaner or the radio. If she says anything then tell her when she can keep the noise down then so will you.

Coolgran65 Sun 02-Sep-18 15:36:53

I got so fed up with it once that I took a shoe and banged the adjoining wall very heavily several times.

Ramblingrose22 Sun 02-Sep-18 15:26:11

I suppose it's all about finding something that would put them off - maybe children's songs, one after another (Danny Kaye sang quite a few) or the sound of a very loud police siren?
YouTube might have recordings of funny animal noises or you could record the sound of balloons deflating -that always makes me laugh.

MissAdventure Sun 02-Sep-18 15:19:18

grin