Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want comfortable and attractive underwear

(82 Posts)
ayse Wed 12-Sep-18 20:59:09

I’m finding it very difficult to find a bra that fits. Ideally I would like a cotton bra, that didn’t shove me up and push me in. Additionally one that didn’t create loads of flabby flesh round my back! I’m not a larger person and have been measured as 34B but they are so tight so I have tried a 36A but to no avail. Anyone else have the same trouble and does any one have any suggestions?

4allweknow Thu 13-Sep-18 15:22:47

M & S never seem to fit me. They recommend starting off wearing in the 2nd of 3 hooks which is madness. Fantasie always recommend the 1st hook as the back of the bra will in time slacken to allow you to move along the hooks. Bras are meant to be firm around the chest as this is what should hold them up, not the straps. Try one on and if it more or less stays in place without straps you are on the way to go finding a bra to fit. Unless you are emaciated or the bra has an exceptionally wide band there will be some bulging of flesh. You just have to keep trying out different makes and styles to find one you like. Nightmare I know.

Craftycat Thu 13-Sep-18 15:29:17

Bravissimo are wonderful & will help you over the phone if you do not have a shop near you. I never buy from anywhere else.

Tabbycat Thu 13-Sep-18 15:29:47

Hello everyone
I have had trouble finding a bra that fits for a long time until recently. I used to go to M&S and be measured and fitted and they put me in a 40C or D bra - the problem with that was as soon as I reached up I fell out of the bottom of the cups brew brew and was constantly pulling the band down as it felt as if it was riding up. I tried a 38C, but then I ended up with a most peculiar double breast and by the end of the day was very uncomfortable!!
My daughter then got a Summer job in Debenhams lingerie department and was told that if a client measured up as a larger cup than DD onwards to put them in a larger band size - this was because at that time they didn't stock that many larger cup sizes. She was told by one of her colleagues that Bravissimo was the best place to go, so off we went together to the branch in Leeds and I was measured as a 38F. They encouraged me to try on lots of different styles and told me which ones were the best fit for me. What a revelation! I was comfortable and a much, much better shape!
Since then I've lost weight and now wear a 36F - I still go to Bravissimo, but also to Leia's in York, where they are very honest and won't sell you a bra that doesn't fit.
I notice that M&S do do more larger cup sizes now, but I do urge you to get properly measured and fitted.

gillyknits Thu 13-Sep-18 15:44:21

I have exactly the same problem . I can’t find any A cups larger in back size than 36. The expander does work.
My other problem is that the straps aren’t long enough. I end up folded in half with some. Maybe I’ve got low down bosoms or something.

vandab46 Thu 13-Sep-18 15:45:36

booborbust.com/

Have a read of this, works a treat. M&S still measure the old fashioned way and adds 4 inches to your underbust measurement, Why?
M&S had me at a 38B, I'm actually in a 34 GG and it fits perfect.
Try if you can to go to a Bravissimo, you don't have to buy from there but you will get a better fitting bra

Tolaton21 Thu 13-Sep-18 15:47:56

Bravissimo are great, always told by other shops was a 40 or 42 d, they look at me and said 38 f. The most comfortable bit ever.

Aepgirl Thu 13-Sep-18 15:59:06

Rigby and Peller is the only place that gives you a truly well-fitting bra. They are expensive, but just count up the number of bras in your drawer that you have bought but don't wear because of the bad fit.

murrec Thu 13-Sep-18 16:47:09

I have osteoporosis and fractured 3 vertebrae and now have curvature of the spine. I have a lot of pain and often unable to wear a bra. which I hate. My size was always 34B but on the odd occasion I do wear a bra. It’s 36C. I keep trying all the so called comfy bras. but so far to no avail. I think I might try the post surgery/ mastectomy bra idea. Fingers crossed.

Theoddbird Thu 13-Sep-18 16:48:46

You might find a sport style bra more comfortable...worth a try.

Busset135 Thu 13-Sep-18 16:56:40

Another shout out for Bravissimo here

Irene16 Thu 13-Sep-18 17:12:07

For everyday bras some of Sainsbury's Tui range are good. I've just bought one today called Soft Touch Full Cup Bra for all day comfort. No underwire in size 36DD. I thought it would make me look like I had a bolster down my top but was surprised to find it was extremely comfortable and gave a good shape too. Plus it only costs £10!

Caro57 Thu 13-Sep-18 17:28:53

Am totally the wrong shape for M&S - I go to an independent shop (in Carlisle - if you are nearby) and would always go independent from now on. If you know anyone who has had a mastectomy ask where they go (assuming they are happy with what they have) as the fitters are usually more patient and have better knowledge / judgement

amberlee Thu 13-Sep-18 17:40:39

Marks and Spencers provide a great bra fitting service.

harrysgran Thu 13-Sep-18 17:42:42

Like GrannyO I'm a big fan of Bon marche I have tried many different stores but find these have a good selection they are the most comfortable I've worn and reasonably priced .

NotAGran55 Thu 13-Sep-18 17:51:16

Another Rigby and Peller fan here . I was fitted earlier this year and it was the best value money I have ever spent on clothing and wish that I had been to them years ago .
The information you get can be applied to other brands in the future.

Nana05 Thu 13-Sep-18 17:58:20

I too had trouble finding a bra that fitted well Had fittings in several of the major department stores who incidentally measured me all differently. Then I tried Rigby & Peller. And now wouldn’t go anywhere else. Yes they are expensive but they fit well are extremely well made and so comfortable and last forever.

Funnygran Thu 13-Sep-18 18:02:29

After criticising Marks and Spencer, I have had a bra fit there today and come out with two very comfortable and pretty bras. I’ve been a 38B for years but it appears I am now a 40B. Can’t see me ever going down again so happy to buy some new ones that actually fit! I wish they could address the problem of why white ones eventually go grey however careful you are with them. Anyone got the answer?!

notnecessarilywiser Thu 13-Sep-18 18:09:12

Take a couple of minutes to read the advice on bra sizes on thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.com/ - I learned about the Bra Guru from MumsNet and was warned that the sizing might be surprising but to believe the result. I was indeed surprised (38G, where I'd been wearing rather ill-fitting 40C as advised by M&S) but my goodness, how right the new size was!

Worth mentioning to those who are ample in the bust area that highstreet shops and supermarkets - I personally rate Sainsbury's Tu range - have a much wider range online than they do in store. Once you've got the measurement correct you're unlikely to have to go through the returns process.

Muchtygirl Thu 13-Sep-18 18:12:38

Bravissimo and Fantasia are great makes. I go to a bra fitting service locally. The lady knows her stuff. It’s a bit more expensive but I have well fitting bras

GrannyHaggis Thu 13-Sep-18 18:46:18

I use an independent shop in a nearby town. It means a bit of a journey, but well worth it. I usually buy a couple of bras and matching knickers there and go on-line and buy some more of the same style/make when I'm need them. M&S and supermarket brands do nothing for me! I'm a 34E in Freya.

deaneke Thu 13-Sep-18 18:51:31

Hello...anyone here with a hiatus hernia?
I find a tight fitting bra that doesn't make me droop, affects me as I get reflux. Any suggestions! The lady who fitted me gave me the worst bra ever! It was for my daughter's wedding though! Cost a fair bit too! Worth it I guess.

Cambia Thu 13-Sep-18 18:55:59

Bravissimo are brilliant. They just look at you and come back with a bra that fits most times!! Once you get your size right you can then order online. I have never found a M&S bra that fitted me yet but I find Panache and Fantasie fit perfectly so I stick to these two. I am a 32f so no good looking on the shelves but there are some good discounted sellers on Ebay if you just type your size in! Good luck.

Happysexagenarian Thu 13-Sep-18 18:58:08

I find a 38A fits me very nicely...... but finding that size in the shops is a real problem. There seems to be an assumption with manufacturers that if you are a 38 then you need a large cup bra. I am not big busted but I have a broad back. I was measured last year in three different shops and got three wildly different measurements: 34B, 36C and 40B! The consultant in M&S said I'd be better having a bra made to measure! I found my favourite bra in Tesco so I check them out every time I'm shopping there, but very few. 38As about!

Daisyboots Thu 13-Sep-18 19:06:39

If only I had two boobs the same suze I would find it easier to buy bras. After a lumpectomy and radiotherapy my left boob is barely a C cup while the right one is a DD. So I compromise by buying a D. If only I could find a boob insert for the left side so I could be more comfortable on the right side. Anyone know where this might be available? Biggest problem is the op was on the upper part of the boob.

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Sep-18 19:32:34

also you don’t pay VAT. I explained to the assistant I did not qualify for the reduction in price but she said I still got it cheaper
I'm surprised about that NanKate, as our M&S are very strict about taking your name and address and I always wonder if this is sent off to the NHS to make sure you qualify for the VAT reduction.

Daisybopots - can you enquire at the post-op clinic you attend if they do an insert?