Gransnet forums

AIBU

Internet safety

(35 Posts)
Maddcow Mon 08-Oct-18 14:33:21

AIBU to expect parents to control their offspring’s screen time/safety etc? I write this as a nanny (nursery nurse) for a 10 year old boy with whose parents I had a blazing row today as there are no restrictions in place re what he watches/plays or for how long. I am only a few years older than them, with two grown up kids & a 3 yo GS & I’ve been nannying for 40 years. I keep up to date with safeguarding good practice and am worried about my rather naive charge getting into trouble, but not sure I’ll keep my job if I push this too far-help!

hulahoop Tue 09-Oct-18 18:38:34

Gramma I would also like some info of what your son put in place if possible

oldbatty Tue 09-Oct-18 18:54:28

if you have been a nanny for 40 years, and perhaps started at age 20....you must be in your late 50's now. These parents are of a different generation and see things differently.

I suppose all you can do is state your point of view to them.

luluaugust Tue 09-Oct-18 19:19:37

I see you say your age is only a bit adrift from the parents, its just possible they don't quite realise all the possibilities of leaving him to do what he wants on line. It might be time to look for a family with younger children, its very difficult for you to do your work with no support from them.

Coyoacan Tue 09-Oct-18 19:44:08

Could you take to your charge about the dangers involved? Children really like to know that an adult is looking out for them.

Tillybelle Tue 09-Oct-18 21:41:58

Maddcow I feel for you! I just do not know how Nannies survive especially today! In my experience, my friends' DCh are taught how to bring up their children by their Nanny! Bluebell is right of course, you must keep a polite relationship with your employers, but I would still have to put in place a few "Nanny's Rules" about safety especially - you can't negotiate on that! As for TV and computers, I would try and tell them what your professional advice is, and say you insist on a certain amount of time in the fresh air and for other interests.

My first career was as a teacher, it was easier to say "That is how we do it in School" than for a Nanny working in their employers' own home.

If you cannot agree, I would tell them they would have to find another Nanny as you cannot reduce your standards.

Wishing you the best of luck!

glammagran Tue 09-Oct-18 23:59:35

I’m only holiday in Dom Rep atm and funnily enough have been chatting to a nanny of 20 years standing. She said one of posts involved herself and s team of nannies caring for the children of extremely rich clients. She said sometimes the children didn’t see their parents at all for days at a time. How very sad is that!!

jeanie99 Wed 10-Oct-18 10:32:38

I think as a professional nanny you should try and get your message across to parents without loosing control.
I'm sure this is totally close to your heart and you have a need to protect children I understand that.
Education is the answer unfortunately parents have the right to bring their children up as they wish and you have no say in the matter unless they ask for advice.
The only time you should step in is if a child is in imminent danger.

ReadyMeals Wed 10-Oct-18 16:02:01

Glammagran there are situations - and that applied typically to the children of royalty, where the nanny stays in the family for years and years and becomes a proper mother figure to the child - and retains a close relationship into adulthood. I think if this bond is allowed to develop then it's not really so sad at all.

Coyoacan Thu 11-Oct-18 18:19:17

I do think the comments saying just look for another job are rough, because this involves abandoning a child the OP has cared for over four years to their fate.