Gransnet forums

AIBU

Trans rapist in woman’s prison ?

(62 Posts)
Bridgeit Fri 12-Oct-18 10:24:34

Is this acceptable ? What are the alternatives ?

sodapop Fri 12-Oct-18 16:20:32

I agree with Grannygravy as well. It is impossible with our current prison situation to accommodate all possible gender variants. So many criminals are plausible and will try to convince the authorities of anything to gain power over women. No place for a penis in a womens prison.

trisher Fri 12-Oct-18 16:40:06

So what word would you like me to use for the action of sticking a bottle, or a brush handle,or any other implement into another woman's vagina as is done quite often by women inmates in prison SueDonim ? Whatever word you use the damage can be tremendous, although of course it is often not reported and the victim goes without treatment. The point is that prisons are violent places and that there are people of both sexes in prison who are subjected to violence. Unfortunately the violence they are subjected to isn't head line grabbing and does not invite the attention of the press, or the sympathy apparently of many on GN who seem to think one incident of rape by a transwoman is more important than the many other instances of rape which happen every day.
I haven't by the way said a trans gender woman should be in a woman's prison nor have I cast judgement on the appearance of anyone. I have simply said that violence in prison is a more complicated matter and needs to be dealt with in a better manner.
From the Independent in January
Violent incidents last year included 7,828 assaults on prison staff – a 22 per cent rise compared to the previous 12 months – and 20,346 prisoner-on-prisoner assaults, marking a 9 per cent rise on the previous year and the highest on record
But one rape deserves more outrage!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Oct-18 16:44:33

Violence should not be acceptable in any situation trisher.

I stand by my opinion that a self identified male with a penis should not be in a female prison, which afterall is the OP.

SueDonim Fri 12-Oct-18 16:55:24

How about using two words, Trisher? Sexual assault.

I'm incredulous that you're arguing that because women are sexually assaulted in prison, it doesn't matter if yet another crime is committed against them in the form of rape.

Or maybe it isn't rape if it's committed using a lady penis. hmm

lemongrove Fri 12-Oct-18 17:03:33

I’m incredulous about that too SueDonim but fortunately it’s only trisher who seems to take this view.
A man with a history of rape and violence towards women being put in a prison with women is mind boggling.
What an awful person he is, and what idiots sometimes the authorities can be!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Oct-18 17:07:33

This man had also committed offences against children, there was a mother and baby unit in this prison.

trisher Fri 12-Oct-18 17:07:48

I am arguing that rape and sexual assaults happen in prisons everyday SueDonim and that the problem needs to be dealt with. Where you accommodate trans people is yet another example of how out of date our prison system is, and how you deal with the wider problem of prison violence is more important than dealing with one trans gender person. Or perhaps you feel that male rape in prison is acceptable simply because both parties have a penis?

minesaprosecco Fri 12-Oct-18 17:12:07

Legal definition of rape:
Rapeis astatutoryoffence in England and Wales. According to thelaw,rape occurs when one person penetrates another with their penis without the consent of the person being penetrated. If a victim is forcefully penetrated with an object, this is classed as "Assault by Penetration"
Saying that there are other forms of violence in prison does not justify giving a known rapist access to females - it's just 'whataboutery' and is nothing to do with the OP's question. My view is that this person used the confusion about transgenderism to gain access to vulnerable women who had no choice about him being there, could not get away because they were locked up with him, had to shower with him etc etc. The prison service is getting itself in a complete knot about this, as are so many other organisations, and the result is damage to women and women's rights. By the way, he also said that he would, and could, abuse children and think nothing of it. That's maybe not relevant to this thread, but he really is a very dangerous person and should, in my view, be kept as isolated as possible.

trisher Fri 12-Oct-18 17:13:20

I haven't said that one crime is more important than another crime SueDonim I have said that there are assaults and rapes everyday and that focussing on one crime is more to do with the sensibilities and the attitude taken to prisoners than with what actually happened. It is the outrage expressed on this thread I object to. It's nothing to do with the violence experienced by prisoners and everything to do with personal opinion and prejudices.

minesaprosecco Fri 12-Oct-18 17:15:43

And yes, trisher, of course we should try and find ways of reducing violence in prisons, but allowing fully male bodied people (whatever they call themselves, and especially ones who are in prison because they are sex offenders against women) into the female estate isn't going to help!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Oct-18 17:21:11

trisher, I have not read any prejudicial posts, this thread is about the incindent of a transgender female with full male genitalia raping a female in a UK prison.

You can quite whatever statistics you like, but this is what the OP is about.

As a female one would have thought you would be supportive of this vulnerable rape victim.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Oct-18 17:22:40

Oops predictive text quite - quote. Incindent -incident

trisher Fri 12-Oct-18 17:24:42

I wish I could believe that most of the people on this thread are concerned for the welfare of women prisoners and not simply using the violence to justify their opposition to trans gender issues, unfortunately I can't.

minesaprosecco Fri 12-Oct-18 17:27:39

You're not reading my mind correctly trisher.

minesaprosecco Fri 12-Oct-18 17:30:06

And to be scrupulously fair, he didn't actually rape anyone in prison, he sexually assaulted them.

trisher Fri 12-Oct-18 17:35:43

I sympathise with all the people raped or sexually assaulted in prison GrannyGravy13. I think the prison system needs a huge overhaul and investment and the criminal justice system needs radical change. But I don't think anyone being incensed about the behaviour of a transgender women is going to help with that. And moving one transgender person will not solve anything, nor actually will closing women prisons to trans gender women. They will just move the problem elsewhere. But then perhaps there are those who think if a transgender woman is subjected to a rape in a men's prison she is getting what she deserves. It is the simplistic knee jerk reaction I object to.

SueDonim Fri 12-Oct-18 17:48:33

No one on GN would consider violence in any form acceptable, I am certain, Trisher

What you seem to be arguing is that because it's not possible at this very moment to stop all violence, we should stop none of it at all.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Oct-18 17:50:22

A transgender friend once said to me that you are born with either XX or XY chromosomes and no matter what you do by way of surgery you die with the same chromosomes.

I am in no way prejudiced against the LGBT community.

notanan2 Fri 12-Oct-18 18:01:33

So are the posters saying that it is nothing to do with trans or penises and just about violent individuals of the opinion that we should never have had separate male/female prisons, hospital wards, dorms etc in the first place? Was it never reducing any risk for vulnerable women to have female only spaces? Are just just as safe being bunk mates with men as with other women?

minesaprosecco Fri 12-Oct-18 18:14:05

'But then perhaps there are those who think if a transgender woman is subjected to a rape in a men's prison she is getting what she deserves'. Which post on this thread led you to that conclusion, trisher?

notanan2 Fri 12-Oct-18 18:21:15

Trisher it was the transwoman DOING the raping, not getting raped!

She was not in the womens prison to avoid getting raped herself, she was in the womens prison to have access to her victims!

notanan2 Fri 12-Oct-18 18:28:13

Male on male violence needs to be solved in male facilities.

Women objecting to male on female violence in WOMENS facilities are not preventing anyone from working towards or campaigning for an end to male on male violence in male facilities.

Dont accuse women who dont want to be raped by men of being responsible for men raping other men be default of wanting to keep themselves safe from male rapists!

What the flippin flip is the world on if people have been convinced that women saying "I dont want men to be able to rape me" = women saying "I want men to rape men...and if they do its all my fault for not letting them rape me instead!". There must be noxious gases leaking out of the soil is male-male rape is WOMENS fault!!

notanan2 Fri 12-Oct-18 18:48:56

You know what? If all these woke folk but half as much effort into making male institutions safer for all male bodied people as they do campaigning to get male bodied people into spaces where women are captive and vulnerable, we would all be living in a better world right now.

Yet for all the wails of "but mens spaces aren't SAFE for males named Emily" what have to TRAs done to improve male on male safety? NOTHING. Except accuse women of not giving up their own safety for the sake of men.

And what of the older males named Emily who DID campaign (before it was trendy) for males to be safer in male and mixed spaces? They are trolled online and in real life for identifying as Transvestites and Transexuals and just men who like dresses instead of "real women"

Elegran Fri 12-Oct-18 19:07:41

No-one should be raped just because they are in prison alongside people who don't have their own partners there to have sex with, and who can't find a willing prison-dweller instead. That applies to transexuals and to young men without the muscle-power to defend themselves alike.

MissAdventure Fri 12-Oct-18 19:11:21

Bad enough to be raped in prison, but to be raped in a women's prison by a bloke is horrific.