Gransnet forums

AIBU

Would you arrive empty handed?

(136 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 13-Nov-18 00:03:46

I need to let this go, but I also need to let it out first!

I invited Paw’s brother and two sisters to lunch on Sunday as it is one year since he died and I thought they might wish to visit his grave.
It took a week before I actually got a response (Saturday afternoon) but luckily I always have the wherewithal in the freezer to put a Sunday lunch together.
Fine.
I’m not bothered on my own account but I was brought up (and I know they were too) to always take something small, flowers, chocs or a bottle -depending on who you are going to, as a gift . In German they call it a “Mitbringsel” -literally a little thing you bring. .
So no flowers for me apparently, no wine, fair enough, they are family, I thought, but when I suggested we walk up to the church to their brother’s grave I expected somebody to say Oh I’ll get the flowers from the car.
????
Nope. Nothing, Zilch. Nada
I am too chicken to say anything and I was too slow to say “innocently” “oh have you left the flowers in the car?”
When we got there they would have seen the pink roses I took on Saturday and the white roses DD laid on his grave when she came to stay. Did anybody say anything?
Did anybody hug or talk about him?
I know his sisters loved him but I was so disappointed at this lack of a gesture either to me or even to each other. confused
When they left I wished them a safe journey, asked somebody to text me to say they were back or expected to hear this morning.
Did I?
A text, phone call or email to say Thank you?
Just a bit brassed off frankly. The sisters are very kind women and help DD2 with one day a week childcare between them so I know they are not mean or rude(not so sure about BIL, he only ever thinks of himself) but I know that my own DDs would always remember to say thank you and show their appreciation. And my Mum would have given me more than an earful!
Years and years ago I had an absolute houseful over Christmas, MIL 2 SILs, BIL plus his then wife, Niece and her friend from Brazil, all staying and after they had gone MIL was the only one to drop me a note to say thank you.
???Seething just a bit!
AIBU?

MawBroon Thu 15-Nov-18 09:59:27

Just a quick post script.
Nice card from one SIL to say thank you, and how much it meant being together on Sunday, realising how much her big brother DH meant to all of us and hoping that her card “made up” for forgetting to bring flowers. ?

PECS Thu 15-Nov-18 10:32:12

Ahh! Glad there is a happier conclusion! She realised her omission & it was good of her to say so, flowers

gmelon Thu 15-Nov-18 16:34:31

You have a good conclusion.
Very pleased it can be off your mind now.
Hope you are getting through the days as well as possible flowers
ps. Got a bit heated on here didn't it. hmm

Feelingmyage55 Thu 15-Nov-18 16:52:09

Pleased for you.

grannyqueenie Thu 15-Nov-18 17:12:57

A good ending that enables you to stay fond of them in spite of their idiosyncrasies. We don’t get to chooses our families, even the ones we inherit in marriage, do we! x

Marydoll Thu 15-Nov-18 19:51:26

Hopefully, you feel a bit better now, Maw. flowers

Madgran77 Thu 15-Nov-18 22:14:46

That's good news Maw flowers

annep Thu 15-Nov-18 23:35:30

How nice Maw. Im sure you feel better. I think its best to ignore things. People don't usually mean to be hurtful.

DIL17 Mon 19-Nov-18 12:00:41

The only part I think is unreasonable is the not confirming until the last moment.

To me that's rude and leaves the host rushing at the last minuet to get things prepared and can be stressful.

I don't really take flowers to a grave. I hate that they then die and make it look unloved. It's more about taking the time to remember them (whether at the grave or at home) that's important to me.

I also rarely take things when I go round to peoples houses. I have taken things when it's a special holiday (such as Christmas) as a contribution to things and to friends houses as a thank you, but with family, the time together is what's important.

annep Mon 19-Nov-18 14:33:41

If I'm going to friends for a meal I always bring a bottle and possibly chocolates. If best friend always a liitle gift.