Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wear what I like for Christmas?

(173 Posts)
grapefruit Fri 23-Nov-18 16:38:44

I've just had a very odd conversation with my daughter. We were talking about Christmas and if we were going to have it hers or mine (looking like hers) and then she said something offhand like, 'Just please come dressed down this year mum, you make everyone uncomfortable with all your dressing up.' I think I just laughed and went to put the kettle on but I was so taken aback. And the more I think about it the more upset I feel. I do like to get dressed up for an occasion and especially Christmas. I always book to get my hair done a few days before, I put on a sparkly top or nice dress and make an effort and wear my nice jewellery because for me, it's a special occasion. And there aren't many opportunities to do that sort of thing so I reckon make the most of it. but now I feel quite odd about it all. For me it feels wrong to wear jeans for christmas (each to their own though of course, I understand everyone does things their own way and that's great). But I feel like I've now been prescribed a dress code and it's made me feel very blue and a bit cross.

GabriellaG Mon 26-Nov-18 20:14:34

lemongrove

gringrin
Now you have something else to talk about over dinner...Christmas dinner.
Evan Davis has one. (Dragon's Den presenter, journalist, economist blah blah)

Pythagorus Mon 26-Nov-18 23:07:25

Why do adult children think they can say things to their parents like that? They would be most put out if we asked them not to come in their usual scruffy jeans for Sunday lunch! Would they make the same comments to their friends? I personally loathe Christmas jumpers! But don’t mind others wearing them. I think the OP should do her own thing, wear what you like!

Isabel1 Tue 27-Nov-18 10:22:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nata Tue 27-Nov-18 14:23:36

grapefruit, maybe your dresses look a bit old-fashioned? Try a sweatshirt and jeans, surprise them all!
and cheer up, don't let anyone upset youwink

Jalima1108 Tue 27-Nov-18 17:07:50

grapefruit, maybe your dresses look a bit old-fashioned
What if they do?
I would never have dreamed of criticising my MIL's rather old-fashioned clothes, she had her style and stuck to it.

Galen Tue 27-Nov-18 17:29:34

I like German food and lager. Also some of their dryer white wines.
I always wanted the pretty costumes the frauleins wore in the beer cellars.

Jalima1108 Tue 27-Nov-18 18:06:10

They all look a bit saucy Galen - however, it's never too late wink

Jalima1108 Tue 27-Nov-18 18:06:42

I like a drop of dry Riesling too.

Rowantree Tue 27-Nov-18 23:32:28

If I were you I'd hire a tiara and deliberately OTT bling for the occasion! Personally I don't mind what anyone wears on the 25th but I do like to wear something a bit more special just because....but my idea of special is someone else's casual. Maybe take DD aside and tell her that, for you, it's part of your day to wear something which makes you feel good, and everyone else is free to wear what makes them feel good too. Be assertive but non-confrontational, emphasise that you're sorry others feel uncomfortable with what you wear, but that isn't your intention at all. I don't think anyone, family or not, should be dictating your dress code!

annep Wed 28-Nov-18 07:36:37

Agree Rowantree

gulligranny Wed 28-Nov-18 22:25:06

I like to wear something new with a bit of bling; this year I've bought a pale grey round-neck jumper from M&S, it has sparkly bits (not too noticeable) on the front, I'll wear it with smart-ish black trousers, and it should look reasonably smart. And then I'll add the red, silver and green jingle bell necklace I picked up for a fiver at Claire's today, plus some flashing Christmassy earrings just to lower the tone (did I hear someone say "even further"?) Oh, and my Xmas pinny.

annep Wed 28-Nov-18 22:43:32

I must look for that necklace. ?

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Nov-18 23:12:19

Yes, OP - lots of bling!! Plus a tiara as Rowantree suggests
Coupled with a lovely dress, sparkly shoes and a bit too much makeup just to make a point.
Then freeze them with a look

(I hope they've all got a sense of humour)

MissAdventure Wed 28-Nov-18 23:30:04

My daughter called my earrings (all of them, all year round) my Pat Butchers. smile
I love dangly, sparkly ones.

GabriellaG Thu 29-Nov-18 01:28:54

Gosh! That's so far from how I imagine you to look MissAdventure
I can't imagine you with earrings at all.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:02:46

Baffling. Why on earth wouldn’t you say ‘oy you cheeky mare I will wear what I like and you go do one’

Why are you dancing around your kids? Why do you ever allow her to be so rude to you? Unless it’s a joke which is fine. If she’s serious put her in her place. My 5 kids would say things like this as a joke but never seriously.

EllanVannin Mon 10-Dec-18 20:25:32

Many years ago my mum's friend worked for a family of Guinnesses in Cookham and one night there was a party. The friend had made sure that the 90 odd year old was tucked up in bed before guests arrived. However when the party was in full swing trotting down the stairs was the old girl done up to the nines in one of her old lace dresses/gowns, a hat-----------and no knickers.

I'd love to have been there to see the faces of the hooray Henry's if any had spotted her before she was whisked screaming back up the stairs to her room.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:29:12

Brilliant good on the old girl grin

hdh74 Mon 10-Dec-18 21:07:18

I actually think the main problem here is that the comment was thrown at you in an offhand manner. So you weren't prepared for it and didn't get chance to talk about it properly. Which is probably why it was thrown at you that way.
I think I'd just mention that you were having trouble deciding what to wear, as the stuff you usually wear is what you ARE comfy in, and ask her how big a deal it is for her and why so you can decide. If it's a big deal for her for a reason you can understand then maybe you would be prepared to compromise but if the reason is something you don't agree with, then maybe you can talk it through better. If someone else if having a go at her about you it might be time to take a stand together for example.
Me, I'm a Xmas jumper all the way girl but I don't give a fig in a pudding what anyone else wears as long as they are happy - well I suppose if they turned up in a g-string and tinsel nipple tassles I might choke on my turkey...

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 21:16:34

I just don’t get why your dd feels it’s ok to be so rude to you unless it’s a joke. You wear what you chose just like any other adult. Tick her off op.

genie10 Mon 10-Dec-18 22:20:27

I don't dress up but usually wear something red. Don't worry about what the children think - just wear whatever you like. Mine like to make fun of me sometimes in a good-natured way but honestly I find it amusing and endearing and like to laugh with them. Your daughter probably would be mortified to think she's hurt you by her comment. Laugh it off and wear what you feel good in.

Febmummaofaboy Fri 14-Dec-18 12:18:45

I don't understand how it would make people feel uncomfortable for you to look good! My grandma dresses up and I usually wear a dress for a hour then into PJ's! Sorry you are in this situation, maybe do your hair, sparkles and a Christmas jumper? A compromise where you still get to doll up! I'd love getting my hair done and wouldn't stop if my child told me to! She wouldnt have hair without you winkthanks