Gransnet forums

AIBU

All I want for Christmas??

(109 Posts)
3211123rjc Tue 04-Dec-18 13:28:47

The answer to myself is...some peace from what to do at Christmas. Each year I spend about a week of my life trying to second guess what is happening with the family, who is going where? Will we get to know anytime soon. I give up and then ask the question and get my head bitten off for asking too soon, as they are so busy they haven't given Christmas a thought. My thought is Christmas is no surprise, its the same date every year!! This year we are getting to have Christmas by ourselves, not by our choice, daughter having a crisis with work pressures and missed deadlines and just wants some space, depression has set in and wouldn't be much fun! Son is abroad, has just lost his job and can't afford airfare. Another son who is chef, hates Christmas. So, I am truly fed up, not with having Christmas to ourselves, but with worrying about the family. Can I move Christmas to another date please.

bikergran Wed 05-Dec-18 19:27:35

Thoughts to anyone who is suffering with their own personal sadness....as others have said in various posts.

Christmas is not all Joyful .Christmas is blended with sad thoughts , happy thoughts, thoughts of Christmases past.

Take care everyone

Phoebes Wed 05-Dec-18 19:13:55

I started reading this post feeling a bit sad because we won’t have our daughter and her husband with us for Christmas. Then I carried on reading the posts and was saddened by how difficult Christmas is going to be for so many Gransnetters. I’m so sorry for you all. I just had an e-mail from an acquaintance as well, and her husband is about to pass away after a prolonged battle with cancer. It’s awful when a bereavement happens, but so much worse when the whole world is celebrating all around you.

Izabella Wed 05-Dec-18 19:13:34

Teetime - my heartfelt condolences.

GabriellaG Wed 05-Dec-18 19:06:15

teetime
sadflowers
There will be sunshine and smile to be found in the memories.

ValC Wed 05-Dec-18 19:03:39

So sorry teetime, at least he's at peace now.. My good wishes go to you and your family at this sad time.

GabriellaG Wed 05-Dec-18 19:02:03

mabon1
For once, I agree. No cats (or any pets) on beds, however, you must allow that some posters don't have your mindset and each of us has differing levels of what is and is not worthy of posting on GN.

Marydoll Wed 05-Dec-18 18:48:40

My condolences also, Teetime, jacq10 and any others experiencing loss. GN is a sad place tonight.

mumofmadboys Wed 05-Dec-18 18:48:15

Sorry you are going through such hard times Teetime and Jacq10. Thinking of you both and my prayers for hope and courage for the future.x

kitnsimon Wed 05-Dec-18 18:35:50

good for you kazzerb !

Willow500 Wed 05-Dec-18 17:57:37

Teetime my condolences - such a sad day for you all flowers

So much sadness - thoughts are with all of you going through dreadful times.

Saggi Wed 05-Dec-18 17:51:07

To lighten the mood ....boo humbug to matching crockery....my mum always insisted on it as did my gran, and my husband thinks it’s ‘oh do proper’. So .... unbeknownst to anybody I’ve gone out and bought 8 different dinner plates this Xmas and won’t the stuff shirts all feta surprise when the dinners eaten and all the plates can be seen in all there ‘different’ glory. My husband is cringing at the mere thought of it!!! Good enough reason to do it!! My hippie/funkie daughter will thouroughky approve ...not sure about my son. The grandkids won’t even notice!! Hahahaha ....roll on Xmas...I do all the prep and cooking...so my rules.

grannyactivist Wed 05-Dec-18 17:50:09

Teetime and jacq10 - my condolences. flowers

It can be easy to overlook self-care when times are fraught with emotion, so please remember to take a little time out to allow yourselves to grieve and look after yourselves.

NanKate Wed 05-Dec-18 17:47:15

Teetime Morethan Pastel and anyone else facing the prospect of losing someone close to you and your family, my deepest sympathies. We are always here for you to share your feelings. ???

We are spending Christmas with our DS and two young GSs 7 and 5. We are going to find it very hard to explain to the boys that their mother will not be spending Christmas with them, as she will be with her new man. However comparing my sadness for the boys with those of you losing family members, I realise things are better for us than for others.

Framilode Wed 05-Dec-18 17:42:27

So sorry tee time and jacq. No words but many thoughts.

jacq10 Wed 05-Dec-18 17:31:45

I feel so sad just now and yet comforted by Gransnetter's posts. My DH of 49yrs passed away very suddenly last week and we are now arranging his funeral. It is heartbreaking to read of youngsters losing one or sometimes two of their parents and parents having to grieve for the loss of a child. My parents died in their 60's and my DH and myself were so thankful we were able to enjoy his long retirement and DGS growing up - so many don't get that chance. My thoughts just now are with teetime and family.

Teetime Wed 05-Dec-18 17:26:45

Our lovely son in law died peacefully this afternoon...thankyou all so much for your kind thoughts. David would be the first person to want everyone to be happy and enjoy life... I love to share the humour and fun on here. Keep smiling xxx

Marydoll Wed 05-Dec-18 17:10:59

Kitty, my way of dealing with things is to be facetious, it doesn't always get taken the right way and sometimes gives the totally wrong impression of me.
As you say, we all deal with things differently.

Marydoll Wed 05-Dec-18 17:07:44

Mabon, Bellanonna is right, you need some kindness too. flowers.

kittylester Wed 05-Dec-18 17:02:01

It was my cat on the bed mabon - it was light hearted.

I have (or have had) lots of large (ish) worries in my life and will no doubt have more. One of my ways of dealing with things is to be light hearted- which obviously irritates some people. Another way is trying to fix things - which irritates other people.

Everyone deals with things differently!

mabon1 Wed 05-Dec-18 16:52:50

If it's not trivia about not making the bed whilst waiting for the cat to move is then what is?

You can celebrate and be excited as you want Gabriella but people should stop moaning about the cat on the bed!

Dukeybabe62 Wed 05-Dec-18 16:49:04

flowers

Dukeybabe62 Wed 05-Dec-18 16:48:23

Oh Teetime, your post bought tears to my eyes.
We should all remember what is important at this time of the year
Wishing you and your family strength and peace
]flowers]

Hollydoilly10 Wed 05-Dec-18 16:39:43

I have had 2 Christmases by myself and they are great. I can do what I like eat what I like and eat chocolate in my dressing gown if I want to.
I have come to realise that Children especially when they are grown have to live their own lives and have cultivated a life I like and want.
I realised that had my mother interfered with my life in the way I wanted to (Help) with theirs I would have been very angry.
Trust that the lessons you have taught them will help and relax and enjoy your time at Christmas.
We can only change our own lives not that of our children.
When I stopped trying to organise their Christmas they have come to include me more - not necessarily on Christmas day but all around the holidays.

kwest Wed 05-Dec-18 16:14:27

We often used to move Christmas to another date when my daughter was managing a hotel and my son was trying to fit in with his prospective in laws plans. It was still lovely to spend time with them and we could also have a lovely time on Christmas Day reading our new books and having lots of little treats.

kittylester Wed 05-Dec-18 16:05:20

And I've got a new phone.
teetime