Gransnet forums

AIBU

Making extra work

(304 Posts)
Hatpev Sun 03-Feb-19 12:41:09

Aibu. DH watched me strip the guest bed this week saw the linen drying and then watched me iron it and put it back on the bed ready for whoever stays next. The next night he moved into that bed because I was snoring. Agh!
I haven’t said anything because on a previous occasion I spent half day cleaning bathroom for guests coming the next day only to find him using it instead of the en-suite we usually use. This caused a huge argument. Is it me?

Cherrytree59 Mon 04-Feb-19 18:47:34

That was in agreement with MissAdventure

lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 18:49:13

Indeed Cherry it’s side splitting .....a grin will hardly suffice.grin
I can’t see Grandads posts without wondering what he gets out of it.

lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 18:51:32

paddyann I realise you must be joking ( changing five double beds twice a week) unless you actually run a B&B.

Grandad1943 Mon 04-Feb-19 18:52:03

grin

lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 18:53:47

When expecting visitors I only do the beds the day before,
Ditto bathrooms.I wouldn’t mind at all if DH used the bathroom though would if he slept in the newly made bed.

sodapop Mon 04-Feb-19 19:28:46

I also think using a spare bed is preferable to not sleeping, laundry is not such a big issue if you are a non ironer. My husband & I have had separate rooms for some time and its so much more relaxing.

mumofmadboys Mon 04-Feb-19 23:26:36

I would hate to stay with friends/ family and not have clean sheets.

annep1 Tue 05-Feb-19 00:31:13

Felice it does require a lot of patience sometimes. Hope you're feeling better.

Paddyann that does seem a lot of changes and laundry. I don't think I could be bothered doing it twice weekly. It must take half the morning. But each to his own.

I definitely would not let anyone sleep in an unchanged bed. I wouldn't like to sleep in sheets someone else had used.

muffinthemoo Tue 05-Feb-19 00:43:37

oh noes misandry

BradfordLass72 Tue 05-Feb-19 06:34:31

In my humble opinion, if the OPs husband always changed the sheets after he'd slept in a bed (or even when he had not) she would not be so cross.

It's the unequal labour and not respecting her labour that irks.

Grandad said, "very much for equality and respect in both sexes."
I hope that means he has always done his share of all the housework and home chores.

One day, women and men won't assume it's the female's responsibility to do all the domestic work and the man's to do all the maintenance - we will, I hope, all know and participate in both.

I was lucky, until my husband became sick this was how we worked - together as equals.
My sons, having learned early, now do the same with their partners.

BradfordLass72 Tue 05-Feb-19 06:41:35

Why not use sleeping bags with a removable cotton inner? grin

crystaltipps Tue 05-Feb-19 07:14:53

I shocked that people wouldn’t change sheets after a visitor has stayed. Even children leave dead skin, wipe their noses and hands on the sheets etc. Dust mites have a field day and bed bugs can be carried in on luggage. I always strip the beds after visitors , even one night child visitors. I don’t always remake immediately. Let them air, then cover with a bedspread or quilt and remake later.

Anja Tue 05-Feb-19 07:40:35

Clean sheets of course wouldn’t want to sleep in a bed used by others. But why make such a fuss about husband? Common sense suggestions on here. Use them and relax.

anxiousgran Tue 05-Feb-19 08:21:02

Housework is a tyrant, I try not to sweat the small stuff,and in my experience men don’t seem to have as good a handle on hygiene as women.

Witzend Tue 05-Feb-19 09:07:37

I'm the same as Bassgrammy - it's very often immediate family for just a night or 2, so I don't change them in between. Dh and I often decamp to that bed if we have a cold/can't sleep and want the radio or bedside light on.

They will be fresh on for any non-family. And I only iron the pillowcases. They will be changed on the morning of other guests' arrival only, in case dh or I want it the night before. It's usually me - I often don't sleep well.

PernillaVanilla Tue 05-Feb-19 09:51:57

DH and I both snore if we have a cold, and are sometimes fidgetty sleepers. Our spare room is fairly constantly used as a retreat for one or other of us from this. I don't iron bed linen, duvet covers are dried over the bannister to prevent too much creasing and pillowcases and sheets tumble dried. I don't like changing beds but it only takes 15 minutes or so to do that and prepare the room for visitors. Surely it doesn't take long to just clean the bath.

The big question is that if you changed the bed and cleaned the bathroom once why is it not his turn this time?

Chewbacca Tue 05-Feb-19 10:02:16

Ironing? Wassat? confused

Grandad1943 Tue 05-Feb-19 10:03:48

Has anyone else noticed that the OP has only returned to this thread once since opening it.

I sense a windup, or it could be a group already looking at GN & MN.

Food for thought?

Gingergirl Tue 05-Feb-19 10:08:01

NOt sure if it’s been suggested, but I’d give him the sheets and ask him to change the bed himself....but wait until your guests are imminent, incase he does the same again...

MissAdventure Tue 05-Feb-19 10:12:02

I expect she's cleaning up after her pesky husband, grandad.
A woman's work is never done!

TerriBull Tue 05-Feb-19 10:19:40

Overwhelmed I imagine as to the direction it's taken, the OP comes on here to talk about bed stripping and how her husband hasn't engaged with the task and apropos of that she's accused of being a man hater. Incidentally, on the thread about "cliques" someone called David, who one can only assume is male, but you never know, has come to the conclusion that's cliqueness is a characteristic that pertains to women. I don't suppose anyone on GN can be bothered to take him to task on that, but maybe there's a "group" out there who will file it away in the sinister cabinet of "thought crimes" that surely must exist certainly for the purposes of monitoring the subversion on GN and MN hmm

jaylucy Tue 05-Feb-19 10:33:14

Every time I clean the bathroom, without fail, my son decides to trim his beard over the sink - even tried changing days etc!
Whatever he does (and I wish that I knew what) there are still tiny clippings around the sink, even though he reckons he's rinsed it down!
All in all, it's annoying but nothing worth rowing over.
Mind you, nothing better than sleeping in a bed with clean sheets! In future, why not change both beds at the same time and see if he does the same ? lol

Grandad1943 Tue 05-Feb-19 11:55:23

MissAdventure Quote [ I expect she's cleaning up after her pesky husband, grandad.
A woman's work is never done! ]End Quote.

Yes MissAdventure, I expect the OPs husband was up the ladder cleaning out the guttering, it rodding the drains, or stopping a tap dripping, or like me this morning draining and cleaning out the pond.

You know MissAdventure, the sort of jobs that even in these days of equality many women are not that keen to undertake.

As we are both on a couple of days off work my wife and I are sharing the tasks that have long awaited needing doing. I have got to say that in all the fifty years we have been married Carol has always been willing to turn her hand to anything especially to help me, and me her.

However, not all women are the same, just like all men are not the same. Just give things a little thought and pull together is the way through, and not to get into arguments about such things as changing a bed, after all, their are such "modern inventions" as washing machines and dryers which make that pretty easy. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Feb-19 12:31:04

Oh dear, I think that MissAdventure's post was tongue in cheek.

I had a nice young man come round to clear the gutters this morning. However, last time a nice young woman came to clear the gutters and paint the outside of the house.

Elegran Tue 05-Feb-19 12:43:22

Some men do the cooking, make beds and wash linen. Some don't. Some women do the maintenance, decorate, garden. Some don't. We are all different.

Some people laugh fondly at the things their other halves do and share them with others who recognise certain traits and laugh too. Some people don't. We all have different attitudes to less than perfect spouses. BUT that doesn't make us misogynists or misandrists.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the wives who have posted in this thread love and apppreciate their husbands immensely and that said husdbands know this. I also believe that most of the husbands who talk of how their wives mistreat gears and don't understand how to use the internet are in fact very much pro-women and not misogynists at all.