Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that GN would be better moderated by older people?

(119 Posts)
trisher Mon 04-Mar-19 13:18:59

I have spent a lifetime in political debate and other discussions. I think one of the requirements of such discussions is a certain robustness and an ability to use language. But GN is apparently moderated by the snowflake generation who see anything posted that is reported by anyone as controversial, and although they can't delete it, because it doesn't contravene the guidelines, they send out warnings. I think older people moderating the site would do so with more flexibility and less response to those who constantly report. I have had many accusations thrown at me about my politics which I haven't and won't report. So let's have some older moderators on this site who won't find controversial posts threatening.

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Mar-19 13:36:36

It'd be interesting to know how old the moderators are. smile I've sort of assumed they're "older end" themselves (though younger than most of our members as they're obviously not retired). They've never come across to me as being millennials.

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Mar-19 14:07:58

I was interested to read a post by one of our young members who commented that the political threads on here are far more robust than she has seen elsewhere.
Words to that effect, anyway.

I always thought that GNHQ people were, for want of a better word, mature rather than much younger people.

ps I thought 'snowflake generation' was supposed to be offensive. shock I won't tell them if you don't.

janeainsworth Mon 04-Mar-19 14:15:20

I have met Cari at one of the Edinburgh meet-ups and she is very far from being a ‘snowflake’ ??

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Mar-19 14:17:25

I hope she is not offended at being called 'mature'
shock

Gonegirl Mon 04-Mar-19 14:17:32

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, some of the team look pretty young. (Seen pics somewhere)

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Mar-19 14:18:21

perhaps they're all young compared to us Gonegirl! grin

Gonegirl Mon 04-Mar-19 14:25:30

Oh yes. I got that wrong didn't I? OP wants older mods not younger. confused as always

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 04-Mar-19 14:30:20

I think we're a heck of a lot better here than Mumsnet, on which I've seen a fair few spats from time to time. At least we're allowed a sense of humour - bearing in mind that humour has changed over the years.

gillybob Mon 04-Mar-19 14:31:32

Its a tough one really as everyone (of any age) has a different idea of what might be acceptable and what might not.

I ended up getting some quite nasty heavy PM's just for saying "bloody" . Imagine someone like that moderating?

PECS Mon 04-Mar-19 14:34:18

I think age is absolutely immaterial. There are people who are dithery or vulnerable, those who weep at the drop of a hat, take umbrage at anything, there are those that are robust and assertive, there are those that are rude and offensive, narrow minded, broad minded, politically indifferent, politically naïve or astute etc etc .

Wisdom come not with experience but what you learn from your experience.

It is not to do with age!

notentirelyallhere Mon 04-Mar-19 14:41:08

I don't know whether it's a British thing, a social media thing or a written thing hidden behind anonymity but I do feel that people are unkinder now than I've ever seen in the past. Respectful disagreement and politeness are just gone, I find it upsetting. I think moderating is often a youngish person's job and there are usually firm guidelines about what is acceptable.

notanan2 Mon 04-Mar-19 14:41:31

These days a lot of it is to do with libel not the moderators opinion of the content.

Some celebs and organisations are more libellous than others and even employ people to trawl the internet searching for any mention of them so you will find admins often shut down those chats but let others run. Those groups can be viscous (through Doxing or being over litigous) and admins may feel they have a duty to protect posters from such things by sending warnings remind them theyre liable for what they post and its not truely anonymous etc you can be pulled up in real life for what you post under a username

Its really nothing to do with what admins THINK of the content. Not any more.

trisher Mon 04-Mar-19 14:48:16

notanan2 I have to disagree with you there. Some of the posts I have had deleted were not libellous, were probably quite caustic and probably did upset some people. They probably did breech the guidelines. But (and I have to be careful not to make this a thread about a thread) I have now been sent a warning, because my post didn't breech the guidelines but people had complained. Some people complain about anything!

Oldwoman70 Mon 04-Mar-19 14:53:20

I think there are some posters with very strong views (on many subjects) and sometimes voice those opinions stridently.

I also belong to another forum where various things are discussed but those with differing opinions whilst voicing those opinions strongly have never, to my knowledge, posted the kind of comments I have seen on GN. Having said that, I have never reported any comment made by a member. I respect a person's right to free speech - even if I disagree with that opinion.

PECS Mon 04-Mar-19 14:53:41

Maybe moderators just have a rule that if they get x number of complaints a post is deleted even if within guidelines? hmm

varian Mon 04-Mar-19 15:23:11

I'm not sure about that PECS as we do see groups going in for endless mutual congratulations, back-slapping and repetition and such groups may well, for all we know, be busy PMing each other to all complain about an opposing post.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Mar-19 15:23:46

There are a lot of keyboard warriors out there. ?

lemongrove Mon 04-Mar-19 15:36:36

You mean it isn’t moderated by older people?
I assumed that it was.grin

sodapop Mon 04-Mar-19 15:38:33

I agree with you about controversial posts Trisher I have commented a couple of times that we are being 'nannied'. Like PECS I'm not sure the age of moderators is a factor but maybe they think we are too delicate to cope with robust comments - wrong.

PECS Mon 04-Mar-19 15:42:44

I don't mind keyboard warriors Urmstongran as long as they are backed by action too and they are based on more than knee jerk responses!

Day6 Mon 04-Mar-19 16:05:37

Its a tough one really as everyone (of any age) has a different idea of what might be acceptable and what might not.

I agree gilly

I also agree with Trisher's point that we are old enough and worldly-wise enough not to be frightened off by controversial views. I'd agree a certain robustness is also required. I am not a fan of prissiness. Sometimes it's quite good to have things out in the open, as long as threads don't become spiteful and personal.

We all have the choice to swerve topics that aren't to our liking.

sodapop Mon 04-Mar-19 16:08:11

Good post Day6. I agree with your points.

Iam64 Mon 04-Mar-19 16:11:03

I find the term ‘snowflake generation’ unpleasant and in this context offensive. If posters want to dish it out, to see their own contributions as robust, surely it isn’t too much of an ask to believe they can accept not everyone appreciates those ‘robust’ political comments

Urmstongran Mon 04-Mar-19 16:16:52

Well saidDay6 I couldn’t have put it better myself ??