Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that GN would be better moderated by older people?

(120 Posts)
trisher Mon 04-Mar-19 13:18:59

I have spent a lifetime in political debate and other discussions. I think one of the requirements of such discussions is a certain robustness and an ability to use language. But GN is apparently moderated by the snowflake generation who see anything posted that is reported by anyone as controversial, and although they can't delete it, because it doesn't contravene the guidelines, they send out warnings. I think older people moderating the site would do so with more flexibility and less response to those who constantly report. I have had many accusations thrown at me about my politics which I haven't and won't report. So let's have some older moderators on this site who won't find controversial posts threatening.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-19 09:21:59

varian

Although I don't like swearing (and I think that tolerance of swearing is probably a generational thing), I am very struck by the contrast between the weight of views on brexit on MN compared with GN.

It does confirm the findings of 2016 referendum vote analysis that old folk were more likely to have voted Leave. I am one of the minority of old folk who voted to Remain and therefore prefer MN to GN.

Many remainers here too from what we have seen. But...not going to get into B*** here - going back to aforementioned cake #muchbetter

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-19 09:24:37

Cherrytree59

When do you cross the line to becoming old?
I'm still in my fifties (just) and voted leave in 2016.
I read MN as well as GN.

Definitely not in your 50s! Consensus on here seems to be maybe 80 - but opinion varies accordingly to individuals (I know 'old' 40 somethings - and the fittest and most stylish person in my gym class is well over 70)

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-19 09:25:37

MissAdventure

Be nice for brexit to take a back seat in one or two threads, I think.

Yes grin grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-19 09:27:52

MaizieD

Interesting illustration of the difficulties of a mods job. One poster mentions a fact and another leaps in saying it's a 'smear'. I'm sure that neither post would be complained about, but if they were, what would e the verdict?

I don't find 'robust' argument offensive but I do think that the mods should act on personal attacks. By which I mean not attacks on a particular 'group' but on individual posters.

Yes, personal attacks are one of the things we don't tolerate. Of course, not everyone has the same definition of personal attack but... And we do rely on people to report stuff to us, so are grateful when we are alerted to posts that aren't entirely in the spirit etc Obviously can't get into specifics on here

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-19 09:29:48

Gonegirl

Shall we all say bloody, lots of times? grin

I might need a Bloody Mary soon if everyone is still talking about B***

(disclaimer - do not drink on duty. Do not drink at 9.28am. Do not actually like Bloody Marys)

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-19 09:30:52

sodapop

I'm going to lie down in a darkened room and stick pins in my eyes smile

Darkened room and lemon drizzle for me

Gonegirl Wed 06-Mar-19 09:40:01

Ooh yes! Lemon drizzle. Now you're talking. Got some lemons left over from yesterday too. Yum!

Maybelle Wed 06-Mar-19 09:43:07

Got a lemon here to add to the cake. Brought it for pancakes, then ignored it want went with nutella !

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-19 09:46:36

Can't beat a lemon drizzle.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-19 10:04:52

Here’s one LaraGransnet made earlier. Absolutely delicious (I’m looking at the last slices now and trying to resist. But hey, resistance is futile etc etc)

Gonegirl Wed 06-Mar-19 10:07:19

Mmm. Where's the 'like' button? smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-19 10:08:03

Gah. Here. Somehow managed to lose the pic

Gonegirl Wed 06-Mar-19 10:09:12

I had that picture! And then when I looked again it wasn't there. How weird. confused

Elegran Wed 06-Mar-19 10:13:38

Report it to HQ and also start up a new thread about it, *Gonegirl", under "site stuff". That'll give those cake-stuffing mods something to do - they are obviously underworked if they can consume a whole lemon drizzle cake by 10 am (green with envy )

What is the single candle for, Cari, or is that a state secret?

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Mar-19 10:16:56

Gonegirl that just goes to show how fast GNHQ can consume a cake.
The second picture is of another cake [nods wisely]

sodapop Wed 06-Mar-19 10:26:46

Definitely better than the pins Cari
Yummy

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-19 11:10:40

Elegran

Report it to HQ and also start up a new thread about it, *Gonegirl", under "site stuff". That'll give those cake-stuffing mods something to do - they are obviously underworked if they can consume a whole lemon drizzle cake by 10 am (green with envy )

What is the single candle for, Cari, or is that a state secret?

Because if the actual number of candles was on my birthday cake it would set the fire alarm off grin grin

Elegran Wed 06-Mar-19 11:19:39

Many happy returns, Cari wine party I won't ask how many candles were left off.

trisher Wed 06-Mar-19 11:33:31

Thanks for all the replies Cari I do appreciate the effort you've gone to. I'm not commenting on the cake, I only have to look at one to pile on the pounds. That picture has probably caused great damage. grin
I'm still not happy with the politics threads and probably won't post on them any more but I agree it is a difficult area.