Gransnet forums

AIBU

Skirts or trousers?

(116 Posts)
SuzyP2 Tue 05-Mar-19 22:04:43

Is it me?
Most of my friends of my age (66) all say nobody of our age wear skirts any more, and most don't own one.
I wear trousers but prefer a nice knee length skirt, tights and ankle boots. Feels much more feminine than trousers or jeans.

aggie Tue 05-Mar-19 22:15:11

I wear trousers , most of my friends wear skirts , I am 80+ wink

EllanVannin Tue 05-Mar-19 22:15:41

Too damn cold for skirts ! I have circulatory problems as do many others as they age so keeping warm is a must.
Trousers and not jeans for me.

jusnoneed Tue 05-Mar-19 22:19:24

I never wear trousers, being larger size I don't think they look good on me.
Mid calf length skirts, usually bare legged and only wear the evil tights on rare occasions.

Harris27 Tue 05-Mar-19 22:24:44

I wear trousers and I'm a larger lady who feels the cold. I do wear dresses when going out though for dinner.

M0nica Tue 05-Mar-19 22:25:48

I live in tights, I would freeze to death without them. Long slim legs were something I was always vain about and they still look good so jeggings and slim leg jeans, but I also wear dresses for variety, mainly smock style coming just to the knee. I cannot bear draggly skirts flapping around my calves, they slow me down and impede my stride.

tanith Tue 05-Mar-19 22:53:18

Jeans mostly in Winter shorts, skirts and dresses in Summer most friends seem to wear trousers I’m 70 by the way.

Eloethan Tue 05-Mar-19 22:58:28

I hardly ever wear skirts or dresses. Apart if we go on holiday to somewhere hot, or if we have especially hot weather here.

I'm quite short and I think trousers look better on me.

Jessity Tue 05-Mar-19 22:58:36

Tights for sure, I feel cold otherwise, with trousers, never jeans, skirts very occasionally.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Mar-19 22:59:12

I wear skirts or trousers, depending on how I feel on the day. (Fat, usually!)

Chewbacca Tue 05-Mar-19 23:02:39

I have one skirt which I wear, very infrequently, for work. I'm always anxious about catching my heel in the hem of the skirt and tripping up, or falling down stairs when I wear it. So I wear trousers 99% of the time.

BlueBelle Tue 05-Mar-19 23:13:19

I don’t own or wear any skirts or dresses, jeans jeggins or leggins with long tops I m like Monica, long slim legs, actually one of my good points but they never get shown well in summer crop jeans or long knee length shorts is the nearest my legs get to feel the air

Lollin Wed 06-Mar-19 00:00:57

I dislike wearing trousers but they are so practical that I Wear them more often than I would like to. I have always felt sorry for men that we can have the choice but it never became the norm for them to have the choice. Isn't it funny but i guess it was always that women were trying to do what men were allowed but not the other way round.

GrandmainOz Wed 06-Mar-19 00:08:15

Slim cut jeans and boots in cold weather. Dresses in the heat. Mid to maxi length, as I'm tall enough to wear longer styles if I like.
I say wear whatever you're happy in!

dragonfly46 Wed 06-Mar-19 00:10:54

Usually wear tight jeans, never tights unless I wear one of my few dresses in the evenings. I too have long slim legs although not as slim round the middle now as I used to be!

52bright Wed 06-Mar-19 01:35:12

mainly cut and flare dresses/skirts just above knee length. Opaque tights are my friends and cover a multitude of sins. When not in these jeggings/jeans/leggings for casual. Never formal trousers as I find the shorter skirts with opaque tights more flattering.

stella1949 Wed 06-Mar-19 03:31:01

Always trousers - I don't possess a skirt or a dress. I'm a larger girl and I find that skirts are unflattering - they "cut me in the middle" and make me look larger. I prefer slim cut trousers with a looser-cut top.

absent Wed 06-Mar-19 03:36:33

I have long and knee-length dresses, knee-length skirts, cut-off shorts, jeans – and I wear them. Why not? I do have some rather shorter shorts which I wear only when I am gardening in privacy on very hot days. I have considered wearing them on the beach, but haven't been there this summer.

BradfordLass72 Wed 06-Mar-19 04:26:41

Funny you should ask smile

I never wear trousers but recently tried to find a plain, A-line skirt. Not one of the many outlets online or in the large city an hour away, had a single skirt of that type.

Plenty of very short pelmets, hanky hems for the young and those who like them but not one single skirt.

The two major department stores actually had no skirts at all!
But heaps of jeans and trousers.

My elders' group is Maori and you are simply not allowed on a Marae for any official occasion if you are wearing trousers.

In fact, there is often a store of spare skirts kept by at the Marae to put on over trousers should someone be called on unexpectedly.

Nor is it regarded as respectable for Pasifika ladies, or older Indian ladies, to wear trousers.

So would you not think the stores would reflect that need?

RosieLeah Wed 06-Mar-19 07:04:41

I find trousers more practical. I spend a lot of time on the floor...sounds funny but I prefer to sit on the floor, and I have to get down on the floor to clean my pets cages. In warm weather, I find skirts cooler, but strip to my knickers to clean up (no-one can see). I hate the 'bare-leg' look so, much as I would like to wear a pretty dress when out, I wouldn't wear it without tights, which are very uncomfortable.

Alima Wed 06-Mar-19 07:09:21

Really don’t like skirts or dresses. That awful bunched up feeling with tights, underskirt etc. Have lived in jeans or trousers for years. Last time I wore a skirt would have been at work about 18 years ago. Even then it would be a long floaty one, the type that got stuck under the chair wheels. Last time I wore a dress was at DD2’s wedding about 8 years ago. That only lasted the daytime.

annep1 Wed 06-Mar-19 07:22:32

I wear leggings and Seasalt/Boden tunics a lot. Otherwise tight jeans. I have a few nice dresses which I wear when the opportunity arises, which isn't often. I love dresses. And pretty long summer skirts.

ninathenana Wed 06-Mar-19 07:26:09

Being a large pear with short legs sadly I look ridiculous in trousers, although I would love to wear them.
Skirts and tops for me, never dresses or tights unless it's a posh do.

1inamillion Wed 06-Mar-19 07:30:00

It's straight leg geans or cords for me most of the time.
In warmer weather knee length shorts or cropped trousers.
When it is hot I wear knee length dresses.
I have a few skirts but rarely wear them now. Before I retired I always wore skirts to work.

Greyduster Wed 06-Mar-19 07:33:22

I’m afraid I gave up skirts when I retired from work. Skirts and dresses are a problem for me because I am short and hate anything too long. I do have a couple lurking in my wardrobe, and haven’t worn them for ages but, on a whim, I actually bought a nice summer skirt last year then never seemed to have the opportunity to wear it. For me it is slim leg jeans, trousers and crops.